Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

That moment you realize you're a horder.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That moment you realize you're a horder.

I've always had a ton of cars, but normally it's like two or three cars that run tops, and the rest are projects or parts cars. Here lately I've rounded a corner and have 4 good running drivable cars, and Damn it its a lot of time and money keeping them maintained, legal, and finding parking! The real kicker is I'm ready to get the last one going. I now see having 5 cars is an unreasonable endeavor. The insurance, registration, and cost of upkeep is going to kill me. I mean, I can afford it, but I don't really want to.
    The bigger problem is I really like every car I have right now. I have no Idea what I'd be willing to let go. There's the 72 Rivi I learned to drive in, the 83 turbo ranger I've been wrenching on for nearly a decade, The 93 A-Team van I haul my RC crap in, the 15 GT my wife drives, and the 16 GT I drive.
    They all serve a purpose in my life. Well except for the Buick, but it's got more history with me than all the others. I'm stuck here.

Sometimes I wish I never got into hobbies.

How much for the Turbo Ranger?

lol

Comment

Originally posted by 4bangen View Post
      I've always had a ton of cars, but normally it's like two or three cars that run tops, and the rest are projects or parts cars. Here lately I've rounded a corner and have 4 good running drivable cars, and Damn it its a lot of time and money keeping them maintained, legal, and finding parking! The real kicker is I'm ready to get the last one going. I now see having 5 cars is an unreasonable endeavor. The insurance, registration, and cost of upkeep is going to kill me. I mean, I can afford it, but I don't really want to.
      The bigger problem is I really like every car I have right now. I have no Idea what I'd be willing to let go. There's the 72 Rivi I learned to drive in, the 83 turbo ranger I've been wrenching on for nearly a decade, The 93 A-Team van I haul my RC crap in, the 15 GT my wife drives, and the 16 GT I drive.
      They all serve a purpose in my life. Well except for the Buick, but it's got more history with me than all the others. I'm stuck here.

Sometimes I wish I never got into hobbies.
      Keep them all. I wish I had kept all mine. If you can afford it, rent a 6 bay shop in a industrial strip center, and keep all your car stuff there.

Comment

Originally posted by Shaggin Wagon View Post
        Keep them all. I wish I had kept all mine. If you can afford it, rent a 6 bay shop in a industrial strip center, and keep all your car stuff there.
        Good Idea !!!

Wife has asked me just how many cars I want to keep ?

I think just one of each kind would be OK for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Shaggin Wagon View Post
          I'm not choo choo money. lol

Comment

Originally posted by Kart21 View Post
            Good Idea !!!

Wife has asked me just how many cars I want to keep ?

I think just one of each kind would be OK for me.
            I plan on getting back up to 6 or so, of course over the long term. I like too many genres of vehicles and that's annoying for my pocket book.

I'm not choo choo money. lol
            Well, for one thing... you post here, so I know that's a lie....If you find a storage place in the country or so, insure it, should be pretty affordable, dirt floor or just a tin building.

Comment

Having 5 cars is rough but fun. I’m going to get a 6th again in a few years and then I will probably need to investigate outside storage. If anyone has a 6 car shops and wants to rent out a bay or two.....

If I had choo choo funds I’d do this: https://garagesoftexas.com/

Comment

I want to build a large steel building and put my home in the corner, leaving the rest for cars and rc planes.

Comment

Put everything except the dailys on collector car insurance policies and everything except the 2 mustangs can be registered as an antique which is dirt cheap and good for 5 years no inspections. Then keep all 5.

Comment

Even though its only me and my wife, I find having more than 4 cars on hand is nuts. Right now I have it knocked to 3. The truck (gotta have if own a house), the wifes 4 door and my Vette (toy). I was going to get another Audi but after I realized the insurance would double and maintenance would double compared to what I have I figured screw it and just focus on a better house.
                    Good judgment comes from bad decisions and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

Comment

lol.....been there, done that! A couple of years ago I came to the same conclusion. I was a bit overwhelmed with the upkeep so I decided to fix that issue. Sold 5 restored cars and 36 unrestored cars. That left us with 3 vehicles! Each a daily driver and one “toy”. It is really nice to not have to worry about what needs tires, battery, washed, driven, moved, parts, oil changed, leaking, tags, insurance, mowed around and all that general upkeep!

Comment

good to know I'm not the only one with this problem. I'd like to get down to 3 cars, but I just don't see that happening.

Comment

Originally posted by LaserSVT View Post
                          Even though its only me and my wife, I find having more than 4 cars on hand is nuts. Right now I have it knocked to 3. The truck (gotta have if own a house), the wifes 4 door and my Vette (toy). I was going to get another Audi but after I realized the insurance would double and maintenance would double compared to what I have I figured screw it and just focus on a better house.
                          So you didnt get the replacement for the lost Audi?

Comment

good to know I'm not the only one with this problem. I'd like to get down to 3 cars, but I just don't see that happening.
                            It took me 25 years before I decided enough was enough. I do miss jumping in an old car once in a while and just cruising it around. However I really, really, really do like not seeing the insurance bills and upkeep cost associated with all of it. Within a few months of selling off everything I was like, where did all this extra cash come from every month??? Also the time and effort I was spending on hunting and chasing cars and parts, was unreal. It took me a while to realize I could just relax and not worry about all that. Not to mention I watched the radar like my life depended on it. Always worried about hail, rain, wind and tornadoes. I had 29 cars sitting outside. Now everything is right here at my place and in a nice temperature controlled garage. Even after a couple of years I find myself wanting another car, yet every single time I get remotely close to it. I just think about the added insurance and upkeep. Then I remind myself I can get something anytime I want as long as I don’t buy “that one”. The car fund account just grows every month I don’t buy anything! So the, “I could get” options get better and better!! Maybe one day something will force me to bring it home but it may also turn into a really nice second retirement account!

Comment

The 3 hobby cars are on collector car and limited mileage policies. This saves a ton of scratch. Antique car is 2 yr registration no sticker and no inspection. I know because I just got this years tax from John Ames the biggest crook in DFW.

Comment

Working...
                              X