No announcement yet.

99 4 Runner SR5, 300k miles. Worth it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 99 4 Runner SR5, 300k miles. Worth it?

I have been offered a garage kept 99 4Runner. 3400 V6 with 300k miles. Body looks great. Guy says it started overheating bad so he figured the engine was toast. I don't think I can lose on the deal for the cost of towing home.

I have no experience with these or the engines. I am thinking headgaskets unless there is something else common to these to look for?

Worth it? Depends on what you pay lol

If it’s free, then fuck yes jump all over it and fix it and drive it fo life!
    "PSH!!!"

Comment

Used engines are about $1000 for those and it's about a 15 hour job to replace. About 11 hours to replace both head gaskets and you should do the timing belt as well.

Keep in mind that it is a DOHC engine. If the heads are warped at all they are junk.

Comment

Originally posted by Frank View Post
        I have been offered a garage kept 99 4Runner. 3400 V6 with 300k miles. Body looks great. Guy says it started overheating bad so he figured the engine was toast. I don't think I can lose on the deal for the cost of towing home.

I have no experience with these or the engines. I am thinking headgaskets unless there is something else common to these to look for?
        Depends on how bad he let it over heat. Does it hold fluids?

Comment

4wd?

Comment

Free to me. Tow quote is $150 to my house. Clear title. No idea on how bad it overheated or if it leaked fluids. Bound to be worth $350 in scrap value, right?

Comment

The 3.4 is arguably the best motor Toyota has made, and I think you can still get JMD motors if it's toast. If it's 4WD it's very desirable in the off road world. If it's clean and cheap it's probably worth messing with. Beware, the radiators were prone to crack internally and mix antifreeze in the transmission fluid causing a failure. Easily prevented by plugging the radiator cooling lines and adding a independant cooler.

I love my 3.4 Tacoma, 206k and I'd drive it anywhere without any worries.
              Justin

Comment

Bound to be worth $350 in scrap value, right?
                $160 / ton

Comment

Free to me. Tow quote is $150 to my house. Clear title. No idea on how bad it overheated or if it leaked fluids. Bound to be worth $350 in scrap value, right?
                  Get that bad mofo and throw a new motor ad cooling system in it and drive it for years! I love the old 4runners! Especially white ones!
                  "PSH!!!"

Comment

If it is 4wd I will buy it from you.
                    Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

I'll give you $1 more than SVO's offer just so I can sell it to him and meet the legend in person.

Comment

do you really have to ask? it's a no brainer for a $150

Comment

All. Over. It.
                          "It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Comment

Working...
                          X