Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how can I get wifi in my metal building?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how can I get wifi in my metal building?

any ideas? I have wifi in the house, but inside the shop I dont get cell or wifi. is there an extender or something to make that happen?
    "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder View Post
    any ideas? I have wifi in the house, but inside the shop I dont get cell or wifi. is there an extender or something to make that happen?
    Run a cat5 cable from one of the ports on your router into the metal building and then get a cheap wifi router to plug it into in your shop. That would probably work better than trying to find some super antenna that probably still wont get thru the metal walls.

Comment

What he said is your simplest solution.

Comment

Or if you happen to have a a/c outlet in the shop that shares the same breaker in the house, you could use powerline ethernet adapters. That would be cheap and easy, but I'll go ahead an assume you have a separate meter for the shop.

Comment

Originally posted by LS1Goat View Post
          Or if you happen to have a a/c outlet in the shop that shares the same breaker in the house, you could use powerline ethernet adapters. That would be cheap and easy, but I'll go ahead an assume you have a separate meter for the shop.
          I am piggybacked off the house, so same meter. Different breaker boxes though.

Ive been looking at things like this, any thoughts?

"If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

I'm in the same boat right now. I don't want to run the cat 5 cable, but I know I probably will have to. TPlink makes the strongest wireless routers, I have one and I barely get signal, so I am going to get a router with repeater function and use it as a range extender.

Comment

If you have coax ran to the shop MOCA works pretty awesome. Powerline adapters need to be on the same circuit so I doubt they'll work.

Cantennas work if you have equipment with antennas. https://www.wikihow.com/Make-a-Cantenna but you still need to get the waves into the shop.

There are lots of products geared for RVs that amplify wifi signals and broadcast their own networks downward. Most are really expensive though.

Comment

Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder View Post
                I am piggybacked off the house, so same meter. Different breaker boxes though.

Ive been looking at things like this, any thoughts?

https://www.amazon.com/Ubiquiti-Nano...32979611435-20
                Looked through some of the reviews and came across this one in particular. Sounds like it could be a possible solution for you and still be relatively cheap.

Comment

Centennas do work pretty good if you have a decent signal to lock onto..I used one for many years at my old house and got USABLE internet for general surfing but streaming will be pretty slow.

Comment

how's wifi just outside the shop? if decent, a passive antenna may get you where you need to be. passive doesn't have any gain, so if it's marginal to begin with you won't net any benefit.

Comment

Working...
                    X