DevOps anyone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DevOps anyone

Anyone actively utilizing DevOps, or DevSecOps, or other variation, in the software deployments at work? I don't want to get into any PI but would like to have a general conversation, bitch session, Q&A, area. The concept of multiple deploys a day is obviously facinating and desirable.
    Originally posted by Taya Kyle, American Gun
    There comes a time when honest debate, serious diplomatic efforts, and logical arguments have been exhausted and only men and women willing to take up arms against evil will suffice to save the freedom of a nation or continent.

We do, but I'm just far enough removed that I can't answer a single question.

Comment

DevOps is where my job responsibilities lead me to the most.

Comment

You do not want to talk to the folks at the DevOps team for my organization....

To them, beta testing consists of verifying that the server boots up.

Comment

My company (like so many others) seems to think you just say that it's DevOps and all the sudden you are. It's also a slap in the face to engineers like myself who have dedicated a decade + to a certain skill set to become a SME and now you should just cross train this other guy with absolutely no experience in the area in a matter of weeks... then he/she will be just fine.

I see it being great for smaller to medium sized businesses where there's a lot of home grown stuff and a budget that means you must have a bunch of jack of all trades, but large enterprises with specialty stuff it's best just to keep feeding the rope while they hang themselves cause you're not gonna convince them the buzzword is bad.
          Originally posted by stevo
          Not a good idea to go Tim 'The Toolman' Taylor on the power phallus.

Stevo

Comment

My title is 'Principal DevOps Architect' for a consulting company. We help our clients reach what level of "DevOps" fits their needs. It is impossible to nail down a global definition of what the word means, and suffice to say most companies are nowhere near realizing their potential to deliver "it" in any meaningful way. Yeah getting to "it" always takes a certain amount of tooling and process, but it also takes diligence and commitment and trust. It's interesting how much of the "DevOps" challenges are really just the mindsets of the people tasked with implementing it. I could make the case that it is more of a more cultural shift than a technical one.
            When the government pays, the government controls.

Comment

Originally posted by 46Tbird View Post
              My title is 'Principal DevOps Architect' for a consulting company. We help our clients reach what level of "DevOps" fits their needs. It is impossible to nail down a global definition of what the word means, and suffice to say most companies are nowhere near realizing their potential to deliver "it" in any meaningful way. Yeah getting to "it" always takes a certain amount of tooling and process, but it also takes diligence and commitment and trust. It's interesting how much of the "DevOps" challenges are really just the mindsets of the people tasked with implementing it. I could make the case that it is more of a more cultural shift than a technical one.
              It's a cultural shift for the engineers/architects/developers/etc... but it's a total lack of understanding at the leadership levels.

Stevo

Comment

Originally posted by bird_dog0347 View Post
                It's a cultural shift for the engineers/architects/developers/etc... but it's a total lack of understanding at the leadership levels.
                They want more features delivered reliably, faster, and with less risk. What else do they need to understand?
                When the government pays, the government controls.

Comment

Agree it is a huge culture shift.

Much easier to implement when your dealing with static data, dynamic data many times leads down the road of application rewrite.
                  WRX

Comment

I'm a "Cloud Service Delivery Manager" for AWS's AMS product... (AWS Managed Services). We're basically the Operations side of DevOps for companies that don't have anyone in their organization up to speed on operating in the cloud. We backup/patch/monitor/secure/work typical ITIL requests/incidents/changes for the customer in their environment. Which allows them to focus on the core business and development in house.

I'm the people person who the customer escalates to

Comment

Originally posted by Silverback View Post
                      I'm a "Cloud Service Delivery Manager" for AWS's AMS product... (AWS Managed Services). We're basically the Operations side of DevOps for companies that don't have anyone in their organization up to speed on operating in the cloud. We backup/patch/monitor/secure/work typical ITIL requests/incidents/changes for the customer in their environment. Which allows them to focus on the core business and development in house.

I'm the people person who the customer escalates to
                      So you physically take the specs from the customer?

Comment

Originally posted by Craizie View Post
                        So you physically take the specs from the customer?
                        I don’t even do that.

Comment

Originally posted by Silverback View Post
                          I don’t even do that.
                          What would you say you do here?

Comment

He deals with the goddamn customers so the engineers don't have to!

Stevo

Comment

Originally posted by bird_dog0347 View Post
                              He deals with the goddamn customers so the engineers don't have to!
                              Nice...

Comment

Working...
                              X