260Z SBC build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 260Z SBC build

Well, I guess it's time for my first build thread.
    I bought the car in 2005 fully expecting to SBC it. It was running and driving, so I drove it for a couple months until the stock I6 overheated. It has sat since summer 2007. Waiting for me to leave the military, and then waiting for me get enough shit gathered to start it.

I'm finishing up a mild roller 355 Chevy. It's got Brodix heads and a forged rotating assy with some dome probe pistons. Motor would make some good power if it wasnt for the stock roller cam. I've got an LS1 T56 and some crazy ass adapter that's supposed to make it work with an old SBC.

I'm only lacking a slave cylinder (and fabbing a mount to my lakewood) and a camaro clutch-fork for to install the motor and tranny. Once installed it'll still be a good ways from firing. I'll have to wire it, wire in a ton of autometers, find a driveshaft, a radiator and a few odds and ends.

I'm mainly making this thread for motivation. I towed the car here, and I want to drive it out of here in late April when I move back to DFW. At a minimum I at least want to drive it onto a trailer. Money is the main limiting factor, I've got tons of free time.

The car is pretty straight and solid, just covered in dust. I'm not doing shit to the engine bay. Aint no body got tiiiime

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

+Like

You going to paint that bad boy?

And the more pictures you post, the bigger my shop envy will get.

Comment

Glad to see you started a thread man. This is going to be a fun rides when its done!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

I did one with a mild 350/turbo 350 combo several years back and it was a blast. Just be sure to do the JTR engine mounts. Sets the engine further back and down in the chassis.

Comment

Originally posted by fastwhite99gt View Post
          I did one with a mild 350/turbo 350 combo several years back and it was a blast. Just be sure to do the JTR engine mounts. Sets the engine further back and down in the chassis.
          I have the full JTR kit here.
          DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Comment

Nice
            81 LX
            82 GT

Comment

Dude... Your projects rule.
              ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

I hate you......

I've been on the hunt for a clean Z to do a ls/t56 swap, totally jelly.

Motivation (the Datsun that made me want to do this swap)

His build thread for some ideas for ya:
                Conversions & Swaps - 78 Datsun 280z-------------> 5.3 Build - As some of you might already know, I bought this little guy in February of this year off Hybridz.org for little more than a song. It's as rust free as they get haha. I paid $1500 for it, and drove 7 hours each way. It had the 355 SBC / TH350 mounted, but...
                Last edited by samuel642000; 02-28-2013, 09:48 PM.

Comment

Is this swap possible in 80's 280z? I know where a mint one is that's begging for it.

Comment

I like it! I was just eyeing 240's today on craigslist.

I snapped this in Red Oak the other day. It is the second one I have seen in a month. Got me wanting one, or a 944 Turbo. I just like the medium to smaller size performance cars.

Stand by I thought I blurred the plate. %#(%#)$I$I@I)$I@I$I@)$I@I$I@)$I@$I@_I$_$_@_I It shows blacked out in my album.

Last edited by kingjason; 02-28-2013, 10:26 PM.
                    Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Cool project ...
                      07 GT500
                      05 SRT10
                      88 turbocoupe T-bird
                      93 Cobra
                      86 coupe
                      Ducati 848

Comment

Originally posted by Baba Ganoush View Post
                        Is this swap possible in 80's 280z? I know where a mint one is that's begging for it.
                        Yes.
                        ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Originally posted by Baba Ganoush View Post
                          Yes, but those arnt nearly as cool. Check hybridz.org

Thanks guys. I'm pretty damn excited about it. Going to search for a camaro slave tomorrow. Problem is finding a metal body slave. Fab up a mount and slip it in.
                          DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Comment

Which rear end? R200?

Blew up a few of them. May still have the one I took out when I went to my 9inch.

Had my Z since 1990. Its my baby.
                            Some cars and a bike...

Some say... they have been raced, some a lot

Comment

Originally posted by SC457A View Post
                              Which rear end? R200?

Blew up a few of them. May still have the one I took out when I went to my 9inch.

Had my Z since 1990. Its my baby.
                              I have a 3.90 r200, and all the swap pieces. I'll run it eventually. Probably weld the r200 spider gears. Going to run the R180 just to get it moving.
                              DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Comment

Working...
                              X