NVME SSD Heatsink

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVME SSD Heatsink

Back in Dec I bought a Lenovo laptop and it came with a 500GB NVME SSD, which I wanted. Lenovo however, decided it wasn't crucial to ensure there was airflow around the drive, thus it was gettin hot enough to thermal throttle and other problems. The controller was getting in the low to mid 90c range and nand was getting in the high 50c range, that's to hot.

Hopped on Amazon and found these gems for less than $10. They just delivered and I installed one on my laptop ssd. Temps are down 10c at idle and nearly 30c under load.

Well worth the money, ymmv.

That's cool. Cheap enough solution. However, I would be interested in knowing what brand/model NVMe you have? It does sound like Lenovo has a poor case design that doesn't allow proper ventilation.

All 3 of my Acer laptops have a easy access cover for the the 2.5" , m.2 , and ram slots. And the cover is fully vented. That's why I stick with the E Series or Predator Acer laptops. It's a good design and it works. I avoid Laptops that require you to take the damn thing apart to upgrade components.

I have a pretty aggressive addlink S70 NVMe 512GB that is designed for audio/video, gaming, and enterprise level use. With that being said, it surprisingly does not have a heat sink. And it doesn't run near the temps you were seeing before you added your heat sinks. Has me curious.

Here's my computer geek screenshot I made after reading your thread. Drive temps hovering around 86F while doing some multitasking. Playing a .mkv Bluray rip on VLC, The minimized Firefox tab is running NWS Enhanced Radar at Full resolution. Zip compressing a couple of large directories to facilitate file transfer over the WiFi to my NAS backup share. I have Powershell open to verify I am using the hidden Ultimate Performance plan in Windows 10 Home. The UP Power Plan reduces throttling on the CPU/GPU/SSD, etc., thus it produces more heat and reduces battery life. All this going on and this addlink NVMe runs very cool.

Comment

I use this on mine. I can't remember what the temps were at before, but at idle it's around 38c.

sigpic

Comment

This is the ssd Lenovo used in my laptop. https://www.amazon.com/Hynix-512GB-P.../dp/B07NM9XYRD

As you can see, no airflow.

Comment

Lotta people use those as standard equipment on tiny htpc builds. Towards the end of this year I gotta build 2 new htpc's to replace the obsolete junk from 2008 I'm running now. I'll be using em for that
          WH

Comment

Originally posted by Tx Redneck View Post
            As you can see, no airflow.
            Yeah, it seems Acer puts a bit more thought into their mobo/case design in regards to cooling.

Comment

Working...
            X