WTF is this thing? 8.8 Rear End Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WTF is this thing? 8.8 Rear End Question

Can someone tell me what the circled thing in the below pics is called? And what does it do? Most of the 8.8 pics I see online don't have it.

My 95 GT does and I'm trying to get an understanding of what it's for and if it's needed.

Oh, and the reason I'm asking is because mine is loose. It's not tightened all the way or equally on both sides. Is it there to reduce harmonics or something?

Comment

it is a vibration dampener....completely useless if you have changed the gears

Comment

It is a vibration damper. Put a torque arm on it!
        Originally posted by racrguy
        What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
        Originally posted by racrguy
        Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

Vibration damper.

Comment

It's the "dog bone," finish loosening the bolts, and toss it.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Big A View Post
              It's the "dog bone," finish loosening the bolts, and toss it.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
              Thanks, finding tons of info online searching for that. I'm such a Mustang newbie.

Comment

Depending on use of the car I would leave it. It helps with NVH.
                2015 F250 Platinum

Comment

It makes a good paperweight.

Comment

It helps with weight balance.

Anyone ever really used a paper weight?

Comment

They keep d/s vibrations down and the one on the
                      tranny keeps the front end vibes down (felt in steering wheel).

Comment

"Dog bone", "dog nuts", "moose balls", call it watch you want. The Ford mechanical engineers designed it and put it on there to keep vibration down to give it a smooth ride. Most guys remove it when changing gears and say that they cannot tell a difference. Of course, your results may vary. It would be interesting for you to come back here and let us know if you can tell a difference with it on there or not.

Comment

Originally posted by slow84lx View Post
                          "Dog bone", "dog nuts", "moose balls", call it watch you want. The Ford mechanical engineers designed it and put it on there to keep vibration down to give it a smooth ride. Most guys remove it when changing gears and say that they cannot tell a difference. Of course, your results may vary. It would be interesting for you to come back here and let us know if you can tell a difference with it on there or not.
                          I'm going to remove it one of these days soon and I'll report back if I notice any changes.

Comment

Originally posted by slow84lx View Post
                            I took it off today and could not tell any difference whatsoever. I just had to get some shorter bolts to keep the pinion snubber.

Comment

son o a bitch! this may be the first usable feedback "mustang related" not "how to puke on the mistress's back while the boat is rocking" advice this board has had in forever! I'm also drunk and on keto, so what the hell do I know? lol

Comment

Working...
                              X