beginner welder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• beginner welder

So I'm thinking I want to buy my first welder but I don't know where to start.

I'm looking to buy an older car to mess around with and I assume it will need stuff welded from time to time. I'm not building chassis or anything like that, but I'm sure it would need some shit welded to the frame or whatever. Obviously I have never done this, but how hard can it be? It's gotta be like decorating a cake, right?

must be 110

I may be asking some dumb questions to any responses. Stand by.
    Thanks in advance

I'm asking the same questions, myself. Considering getting a welder and drill press.
    Originally posted by PGreenCobra
    I can't get over the fact that you get to go live the rest of your life, knowing that someone made a Halloween costume out of you. LMAO!!
    Originally posted by Trip McNeely
    Originally posted by dsrtuckteezy
    dont downshift!!
    Go do a whooly in front of a Peterbilt.

Comment

I bought one of the Harbor Freight 90 Amp welders about a year and a half ago with the intent of giving it a go, and haven't even opened the box.

One of the good welders on here should offer some hands-on classes for $$!

Comment

Originally posted by CWO View Post
        So I'm thinking I want to buy my first welder but I don't know where to start.

I'm looking to buy an older car to mess around with and I assume it will need stuff welded from time to time. I'm not building chassis or anything like that, but I'm sure it would need some shit welded to the frame or whatever. Obviously I have never done this, but how hard can it be? It's gotta be like decorating a cake, right?

must be 110

I may be asking some dumb questions to any responses. Stand by.
        Thanks in advance
        Have a dedicated plug added for the welder if you do pick one up. Most garages are wired on a single 15A circuit.
        Originally posted by Leah
        Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.

Comment

I would suggest picking up a mig, something like this, that uses a shielding gas. Flux core is not as easy to pick up for a beginner.
          "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by DON SVO View Post
            I'm asking the same questions, myself. Considering getting a welder and drill press.
            A drill press is another good idea as well as something I'll probably want to have around. I'll need a bench grinder as well. I think I'm good on those though.

Originally posted by black2002ls View Post
            Have a dedicated plug added for the welder if you do pick one up. Most garages are wired on a single 15A circuit.
            It's info like this that is gold to me. Thanks.

Comment

A drill press is another good idea as well as something I'll probably want to have around. I'll need a bench grinder as well. I think I'm good on those though.

It's info like this that is gold to me. Thanks.
              If you have one put in, make sure it is adequately sized for what you plan to run on it!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
              Originally posted by Leah
              Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.

Comment

I did something similar last year and picked up a used millermatic 135 off craigslist with cart and bottle for $450... It works great and I've used it a handful of times. The biggest project so far was a firewood rack that I built, but I do plan to use it on my 92 mustang to install my subframe connectors. It wasn't THAT hard to learn it but then again I'm not trusting my life or anyone else's to my welding ability.
                Originally posted by stevo
                Not a good idea to go Tim 'The Toolman' Taylor on the power phallus.

Stevo

Comment

Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder View Post
                  I would suggest picking up a mig, something like this, that uses a shielding gas. Flux core is not as easy to pick up for a beginner.
                  Better to do it this way vs getting Flux Core to begin with and not have to relearn? Is it that much different?

Are there any "old faithful" type welders to look for on Craigslist?

Comment

Better to do it this way vs getting Flux Core to begin with and not have to relearn? Is it that much different?

Miller/Hobart/Lincoln... Stay away from the junk and keep in mind the Lincoln stuff for consumables would be readily available at Home Depot or Lowes. You can also get gas bottles from some Home Depot locations and do exchanges there.
                    Originally posted by stevo
                    Not a good idea to go Tim 'The Toolman' Taylor on the power phallus.

Stevo

Comment

Most of the gas shielded 110 machines are going to be of similar quality from any of the big names. We had a hobart for a long time that worked great. I would also consider buying an Oxy-Acetylene setup in addition to the MIG.

Comment

Originally posted by bird_dog0347 View Post
                        Miller/Hobart/Lincoln... Stay away from the junk and keep in mind the Lincoln stuff for consumables would be readily available at Home Depot or Lowes. You can also get gas bottles from some Home Depot locations and do exchanges there.
                        Thanks. Any particular specs I should keep in mind? I've always been a bang-for-the-buck kind of guy.

Comment

Can someone teach me how to weld?

Comment

you can use flux core in that type without gas, the flux is the shielding agent.
                            "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by Matt View Post
                              Can someone teach me how to weld?
                              will you teach me to tig?

Comment

Working...
                              X