Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Choose one - White House tour or Capitol tour?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm going back and forth on this one. I think either one you will have an awesome experience but at the same time wish you were on the other one.

Comment

Originally posted by txstangnut View Post
      Provided nothing is closed in no particular order.

1. Udvar-Hazy at Dulles is where the have static air craft for air and space.
      2. Holocaust
      3 American History
      4. White House
      5. Capitol Building
      6. Lincoln Memorial
      7. Jefferson Memorial.

The one at Dulles was my favorite of all the museums, it was a lot better than the air and space on the mall. Going in the winter is the best, first time I went to DC was in December before school gets out and it snowed 6" while I was on the mall, walked right into every museum without waiting in a single line. Went back during the cherry blossom festival a few years later and holy crap it was terrible.

Comment

Originally posted by Strychnine View Post
        Heading to DC in a couple weeks
        It is already understood you are going to Arlington Cemetery to witness the changing of the guard, yes?
        Originally posted by jluv View Post
        Whoa! You were gonna sneak into the white house through a window!?!?
        LOL... that's the way I first read it.

Comment

Senator Cornyn has a standing coffee date open to any Texan most Thursdays.

As for your question though a White House tour is much more exclusive and maybe you'll get a chance to call Jim Acosta a moron.

Comment

Originally posted by SS Junk View Post
            It is already understood you are going to Arlington Cemetery to witness the changing of the guard, yes?
            I've seen it before so it's not on the agenda this time.
            Looks like right now it will be White House, National Archives (wife's choice), and Air & Space... after those we may be out of time.

Comment

Yeah, turns out it's kind of a pain in the ass. You can't get a White House tour without one of your representatives submitting a request on your behalf, and even then you can't see the West Wing without a personal invite from a White House staffer. I think you can do a self guided Capitol tour - I think - but you'd have to fight the crowds for one of the limited spots, no guarantee, etc.

EDIT: wait, you didn't mean that you didn't realize the White House and the Capitol Building were not the same thing, did you?
              So do you just send Ted Cruz an email with a simple request or do you have to present a case explaining why you want one and how the world would benefit by you getting one? I'd love to make a trip up there with the kiddos.

Comment

To me, i just think the white house would have a lot more to take in. History wise and not be surrounded by crooked politicians!

Comment

Heading to DC in a couple weeks to speak at an SAE event and will have a little free time, so I petitioned Ted Cruz's office for some help.

I got confirmation emails today, but given my schedule I may only have time for one or the other... I might have to choose between a guided tour of the Capitol building by someone from Cruz's staff, or a White House East Wing tour.

Which would be better?
                  If possible see if you can do the coffee meeting with Cruz and Cornyn. I think it was called boots and coffee or something like that. They generally have one once a month or once a week where TX residents can go and have coffee in one of the meeting rooms and get a photo and some gladhanding in with them. I met Cruz when he first went to DC and he was a cool guy. I made a smartass comment about WAPO writing an unflattering comment about it and he whispered in my ear "Yeah, apparently I haven't f'd enough of the liberals views up yet!" He knew I was in law enforcement and it was on something he supported for us so it was pretty funny.

Comment

Originally posted by GeorgeG. View Post
                    So do you just send Ted Cruz an email with a simple request or do you have to present a case explaining why you want one and how the world would benefit by you getting one? I'd love to make a trip up there with the kiddos.
                    They love kids and will usually make it a memorable experience for them.

Comment

Originally posted by GeorgeG. View Post
                      The Official U.S. Senate website of Senator Ted Cruz of Texas

Mostly first come first served if you can fit into the odd scheduling (no sunday or monday, only in the AM, etc). There's an "additional info" portion of the page where you can write stuff. Not sure if it matters, or helped, but when I submitted mine 2 weeks ago I made sure to tell them I was coming up on a quick trip to speak at a conference and my wife would be joining me for her birthday.

They emailed this week with a link to register for the required background checks, and then in a few more weeks I'll hopefully get a final confirmation.

Notes from the staffer:
                      • I do not hear back from the White House until a week before your requested dates. Once I receive a denial or confirmation email I will forward it to you.
                      • If your tour request cannot be accommodated there is no way for our office to see other cancellations or put your name on a wait list.
                      • Additional individuals cannot be added without requesting a new tour and cancelling the previous tour request.
                      • If you have submitted a request with another office, our request will automatically be cancelled, so please let us know if another request has been submitted to avoid hindering your process.
                      • Please note that submitting a tour request does not guarantee that the White House will grant one. Our office does not have any control over the scheduling of the tours. Please note that we do not have the option to choose a time slot on your requested tour dates. A White House tour approval is dependent on availability for the given date, daily security measures at the White House, how early the request was received, and the schedule of the President, and is subject to cancellation at any time.

Comment

Originally posted by jewozzy View Post
                        If possible see if you can do the coffee meeting with Cruz and Cornyn. I think it was called boots and coffee or something like that. They generally have one once a month or once a week where TX residents can go and have coffee in one of the meeting rooms and get a photo and some gladhanding in with them.
                        Nice. Just submitted a request through Cornyn's website (he does Thursdays), and via direct email to Cruz's office (Tuesdays)

Comment

https://www.cruz.senate.gov/?p=tour_requests

Mostly first come first served if you can fit into the odd scheduling (no sunday or monday, only in the AM, etc). There's an "additional info" portion of the page where you can write stuff. Not sure if it matters, or helped, but when I submitted mine 2 weeks ago I made sure to tell them I was coming up on a quick trip to speak at a conference and my wife would be joining me for her birthday.

They emailed this week with a link to register for the required background checks, and then in a few more weeks I'll hopefully get a final confirmation.

Notes from the staffer:
                          To piggyback this for those of you who would actually like to meet a sitting congressman I've always found it better to look up their top aides email addresses and contact them directly. They can usually give you info on cool stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by jluv View Post
                            Whoa! You were gonna sneak into the white house through a window!?!?

That’s some ballsy shit!
                            LOLs

I race with the guy, and was potentially going to be in DC for our anniversary. I sent him a message asking for opinions on what to plan for, since he is generally one of the most up to date on what is closed, open, slow times, etc.

He messaged me back a week or later to let me know he could potentially get us on the list for a tour that was setup for their office to bring friends/family. It was cool that he even thought of me to offer it.
                            "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by SS Junk View Post
                              I shot this on 12/26/18 when I was there. DC during Christmas is amazing. Saw all of the sights with very few crowds, ate at some of the best restaurants I ever have and had no problems with reservations, and even caught my first ballet (The Nutcracker by The Washington Ballet) on Christmas Eve. What an awesome trip.
                              "It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Comment

My thoughts:

Of the two I would choose the Capitol building. So much more history and I know you are pretty much a history aficionado. And if time allows, a must see in my opinion would be the national archives. Lots of great stuff to see in the mall but national archives is paramount. Just don’t plan on taking any photos with a flash or you will be chastised with quickness. LOL

Smithsonian is also a must if you have time but if you didn’t know, much of the larger stuff was moved To Dulles, such as the Enola Gay and SR 71 but it is only a quick train ride and you can purchase your tickets at the air and space Museum.

David

Comment

Working...
                                X