best atv winch for the money

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• best atv winch for the money

Just got a Yamaha Kodiak and I'm planning to buy some atv accessories including a bumper and winch. Warn seems to be a popular choice yet expensive. Does anyone have a Warn atv winch? Other recommendations are appreciated. Thanks.

I have used Smittybilt on all my rigs and no issues. They may spool a tad slower but they work like a champ.
    Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Originally posted by kingjason View Post
      I have used Smittybilt on all my rigs and no issues. They may spool a tad slower but they work like a champ.
      I've never used a Smittybilt or any of the other bargain brands, but the biggest complaint I have heard about them is the duty cycle. As in, with hard pulling, they get really hot after a minute or so, and you have to let them cool down (or risk ruining them/failure). I think that's the biggest advantage of the Warn winches over all of the cheaper stuff. You can run the crud out of them without any problems or decrease in performance. That said, I've only used mine twice since I put it on two years ago, so I can see how many folks wouldn't see the value in paying so much more for something that doesn't get used very often. For me, when winching is needed, it's a pretty serious deal, so I want something top-notch.

Also worth noting is that my experience/input is related to a big heavy truck, and not an ATV. Obviously, the latter is a lot more forgiving.

Comment

Originally posted by renold5 View Post
        Just got a Yamaha Kodiak and I'm planning to buy some atv accessories including a bumper and winch. Warn seems to be a popular choice yet expensive. Does anyone have a Warn atv winch? Other recommendations are appreciated. Thanks.
        I have a warn on my brute force 750 and it's OK. Pulled that heavy bastard up a decent hill.

Comment

Originally posted by jluv View Post
          I've never used a Smittybilt or any of the other bargain brands, but the biggest complaint I have heard about them is the duty cycle. As in, with hard pulling, they get really hot after a minute or so, and you have to let them cool down (or risk ruining them/failure). I think that's the biggest advantage of the Warn winches over all of the cheaper stuff. You can run the crud out of them without any problems or decrease in performance. That said, I've only used mine twice since I put it on two years ago, so I can see how many folks wouldn't see the value in paying so much more for something that doesn't get used very often. For me, when winching is needed, it's a pretty serious deal, so I want something top-notch.

Also worth noting is that my experience/input is related to a big heavy truck, and not an ATV. Obviously, the latter is a lot more forgiving.

Speaking of Smittybuilt, I was looking at a set of their rock sliders. What'cha think about those puppies? Just started looking for some, just to price, but cannot seem to find many reviews on anything I find. Would like to have some protection for the sides of the truck, seem to be more rocks than mud around here! Winch is next however

Comment

Originally posted by yellowstang View Post
            Speaking of Smittybuilt, I was looking at a set of their rock sliders. What'cha think about those puppies? Just started looking for some, just to price, but cannot seem to find many reviews on anything I find. Would like to have some protection for the sides of the truck, seem to be more rocks than mud around here! Winch is next however
            They would.be a nice addition. Jose could.of used some.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
            2015 F250 Platinum

Comment

Originally posted by yellowstang View Post
              I didn’t know they made them, especially for a F-150. Are they legit sliders or are they steps or nerf bars? There’s definitely a difference. Although, if you’re not doing anything crazy, and if they’re cheap enough, it’s probably better to mess up a set of steps or cheap nerf bars than your truck. On hard hits, the cheap stuff might crumple and end up smashing into your truck, anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by jluv View Post
                I didn’t know they made them, especially for a F-150. Are they legit sliders or are they steps or nerf bars? There’s definitely a difference. Although, if you’re not doing anything crazy, and if they’re cheap enough, it’s probably better to mess up a set of steps or cheap nerf bars than your truck. On hard hits, the cheap stuff might crumple and end up smashing into your truck, anyway.
                It's actually both, steps and sliders buolt into one unit. They are like $550 and seem good, but only 2 reviews so far. Jeeps seem to love em, but not much for F-150 to read on.

Here's a video of them, the sliders are underneath the steps.

Last edited by yellowstang; 04-04-2019, 09:48 AM.

Comment

I Purchased a Smittybuilt bumpers set for my FJ and A WARN10 K winch to accompany it but found out that THE warn winch would not fit. They had a next generation 10 K Smitty built winch that comes with the same warranty as the wARN at a much reduced price. Like Jared said, you often get what you pay for but in my case, I see minimal use so stuck with the Smittybuilt.

DAVID

Comment

Originally posted by JC316 View Post
                    I have a warn on my brute force 750 and it's OK. Pulled that heavy bastard up a decent hill.
                    Thanks. I just ordered a Warn winch. I hope it will serve me well.

Comment

Working...
                    X