Lowdown on Off-road parks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by jluv View Post
    An MT is overkill if you don’t off-road much.

Toyo makes an RT that’s in between the two, just like the Nitto Ridge Grappler. I haven’t run either, but I wouldnt hesitate to do so, based on my experience with the ATs and the MTs from both. Same parent company, by the way.

Between the two ATs, I like the Toyo better. The Nitto Terra Grappler is slightly softer and slightly less aggressive than the Toyo AT. That makes it quieter and smoother, but the Toyo is not noticeably rough or loud. I think the Toyo will last a little longer, and I believe it’s a little better off road and in snow. But the difference isn’t huge.

Moral of the story is that you can’t go wrong with Toyo or Nitto. You just have to decide which tier to go with. In my opinion, if you are 90% on road and 10% off road, the AT/Terra is good. If you’re 75/25, go with the RT/Ridge. Anything more off road than that, the MT/Trail is worth it.
    Thanks Jared, I've got a lot to learn about this off road shit! Probably will be 90/10, no more than 80/20 at the most. Sounds like Toyo AT is it! Still cheapest tire I've purchased since the 1st Stang I got in 1994! Those were always expensive.

Comment

• Originally posted by yellowstang View Post
      Thanks Jared, I've got a lot to learn about this off road shit! Probably will be 90/10, no more than 80/20 at the most. Sounds like Toyo AT is it! Still cheapest tire I've purchased since the 1st Stang I got in 1994! Those were always expensive.
      I think you’ll be super happy with that tire. Make sure to go LT and not P. I’d do D rated. E rated if you’re gonna carry a bunch of weight or just want overkill on strength, but D will be plenty, and will ride better.

Comment

• Originally posted by fordracing19 View Post
        4runner for a daily and JK for trail rig?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
        Nah, but will am looking at doing the TRD Pro and keeping it mostly stock. Just building it out for camping and reliability. Eventually doing bumpers for clearance, swing out and winch, and sliders. My focus is supposed to be going into a multi year van build. Starting with camping build out then 4x4 conversion.

Comment

• Originally posted by jluv View Post
          An MT is overkill if you don’t off-road much.

Toyo makes an RT that’s in between the two, just like the Nitto Ridge Grappler. I haven’t run either, but I wouldnt hesitate to do so, based on my experience with the ATs and the MTs from both. Same parent company, by the way.

Between the two ATs, I like the Toyo better. The Nitto Terra Grappler is slightly softer and slightly less aggressive than the Toyo AT. That makes it quieter and smoother, but the Toyo is not noticeably rough or loud. I think the Toyo will last a little longer, and I believe it’s a little better off road and in snow. But the difference isn’t huge.

Moral of the story is that you can’t go wrong with Toyo or Nitto. You just have to decide which tier to go with. In my opinion, if you are 90% on road and 10% off road, the AT/Terra is good. If you’re 75/25, go with the RT/Ridge. Anything more off road than that, the MT/Trail is worth it.

I've got the Toyo Open Country RT on my white truck, and love them. Pics on FB, Rob. I had the BFG AT NK2's on my red truck, and loved those too. I put 50k miles on them and they still had probably 40-50% tread left when I traded it in. The silver truck (2wd) will likely get a set of KO2s when I get it back.
          Originally posted by BradM
          But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
          Originally posted by Leah
          In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

• Originally posted by bcoop View Post
            I've got the Toyo Open Country RT on my white truck, and love them. Pics on FB, Rob. I had the BFG AT NK2's on my red truck, and loved those too. I put 50k miles on them and they still had probably 40-50% tread left when I traded it in. The silver truck (2wd) will likely get a set of KO2s when I get it back.
            See previous posts by myself and jluv about the ko2s on a full size, you may like the g2s better.

Comment

Discount doesn't seem to carry the Toyo RT.s just the AT II, but I'd probably not need the extra aggressive tread pattern difference between the 2.

Comment

• Originally posted by yellowstang View Post
                Discount doesn't seem to carry the Toyo RT.s just the AT II, but I'd probably not need the extra aggressive tread pattern difference between the 2.
                Call my buddy Jeff @ Dallas Off Road, he should be able to get them. They were on like a 6 month back rider when I found a new set on eBay and snagged them up.

Comment

• Originally posted by lowthreeohz View Post
                  See previous posts by myself and jluv about the ko2s on a full size, you may like the g2s better.
                  I thought they were great, fwiw. Would definitely purchase again. Back before I bought the KO2 everyone was complaining about the tread life of the Nittos due to the softer compound. Who knows.

Comment

• Dropped the Jeep off at the transmission shop today, hopefully it will be ready tomorrow but may be Wed.

And I'm sitting here watching stupid Jeep videos thinking about keeping it after all, lol. I mean, we already have a Moab tripped planned in less than 2 months and I won't have a 4 runner ready for the same trails by then.. That's how they get so many suckers to keep buying these damn things.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chili View Post
                      Dropped the Jeep off at the transmission shop today, hopefully it will be ready tomorrow but may be Wed.

And I'm sitting here watching stupid Jeep videos thinking about keeping it after all, lol. I mean, we already have a Moab tripped planned in less than 2 months and I won't have a 4 runner ready for the same trails by then.. That's how they get so many suckers to keep buying these damn things.
                      I have a 4runner and wish I had a JLUR on 37's.

2015 F250 Platinum

Comment

• Man, I know a LOT of people with Jeeps that have few to no issues. Is it possible you killed the tranny by getting stuck?

Comment

• Originally posted by Chili View Post
                          Dropped the Jeep off at the transmission shop today, hopefully it will be ready tomorrow but may be Wed.

Does your JK have 3.21 or 3.73?

2015 F250 Platinum

Comment

Man, I know a LOT of people with Jeeps that have few to no issues. Is it possible you killed the tranny by getting stuck?
                            Oh, I definitely participated in it's demise, but this is just one of many nut kicks that I have dealt with.. Of course, I could have just gotten that one.. Let me see if I can think of what all I have done. And this is aside from mods, just things that needed repair (granted, some just tune up stuff or things that made sense). It has just under 98,000 miles:
                            • Front rotors
                            • Thermostat Housing
                            • Starter
                            • Water Pump
                            • Upper and Lower Ball Joints
                            • Shocks
                            • Oil Cooler / Oil Filter Housing Assembly
                            • PVC Valve
                            • Upper / Lower intake gaskets
                            • plugs
                            • Various Fluids (cooling system flush x 3 with water pump, thermostat housing, then oil cooler which coolant also flows through.
                            • Transmission

Seems like I'm forgetting something but that's all I can think of. And I have done quite a few mods, so it blurs some.

Things it needs / issues I still have:
                            • Burns oil with alot of high RPM driving (cyl 1 and 5 plugs fouled, 5 is worse)
                            • Roof leaks / drivers side roof panel fills with water
                            • Belt Tensioner (whining, according to dealer is that)
                            • Gears (on 35's w/ 3.73 - Planned 4.56)
                            • Excessive under-hood temps (need a vented hood or add vents to hood)

The biggest concern is the oil consumption / blow by these are known to have head gasket / head issues, so I fully expect that if I keep it I will need to do a rebuild or something big soon.

Originally posted by fordracing19 View Post
                            I have a 4runner and wish I had a JLUR on 37's.

Lmao! I will say that looking back I wish I had gotten a Rubicon.. That said, at the time a 12+ (had to have the 3.6) Rubicon just wasn't in the budget.

I love your 4runner..
                            Last edited by Chili; 02-18-2019, 04:03 PM.

Comment

• Sucks that you had so many issues. That is one thing good about my 4runner. 135k miles and not scared to take it anywhere.

2015 F250 Platinum

Comment

• Some pics of the aftermath (didn't take any at the park). This was after pressure washing the bulk of the mud off in Bridgeport, and a second hose down, mostly of underneath, before going to the dealership.

I have since cleaned all of the inside except the carpet, which I will pull out and pressure wash. I also spent 3 hours washing the exterior this weekend, and getting the rest of the mud out of the nooks and crannies underneath.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X