DFW Mustangs    

Go Back   DFW Mustangs > General > The Back Porch

The Back Porch General Discussions for topics that don't belong in other forums.

Old 01-01-2018, 06:59 AM   #1
dcs13
Lifer

Default Love em or hate em, Trump was good for your 401k's...

Anyone look at their cow skin account yesterday ?
dcs13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 08:33 AM   #2
quikag
Lifer

Yes! Trump definitely helped my investments for sure.

I don’t mean to brag, but I think if I cashed out everything, I might even be able to buy two cowskin rugs. Don’t be jealous of me, be jealous of the game.
quikag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 08:42 AM   #3
Sgt Beavis
Lifer

My 401k had 16% growth. I'm not very aggressive with it.

My VMware stock was $45 in April 2016. It's now $125.32. However I don't credit Trump on that one. The stock sank to the low $40 range after the Dell takeover because of some very dumb strategic announcements. It's bounced back because we've blown past earnings expectations and made several key strategic changes that Wall Street really liked. None of that was Trump.

IMO Trump has had two big impacts on Wall Street. The 1st one is deregulation. The 2nd was the hope of a tax cut. Wall Street was influenced by both of those factors and it's paid off in that the new tax plan is very favorable to them.

Now the question becomes, when do we hit the down side of the cycle? I think the tax cuts may extend this growth through 2018, but we will eventually see a downside.
Sgt Beavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 09:38 AM   #4
Broncojohnny
Lifer

I'm not sure that the normal rules for an economic cycle apply here. We haven't had a single year of +3% GDP growth in eight years thanks to a complete lack of leadership from a do nothing president and a congress that is much worse. There has been a lack of capital investment and a lack of expansion. What growth there was during the period was generated by the wealth effect from the inflated stock and real estate markets. That was all done by design thanks to the Federal Reserve. Real estate development and construction are going to slow down a bit because of the rise in interest rates but who knows how that will affect the overall economy.

One indicator of a coming contraction is going to be the reversal of capital flows from overseas. There is so much foreign money coming here looking for any return at all (meaning zero return will do just fine) that when it flows back out there are going to be real problems, especially for all of these business models that don't really make any money. When the tide goes back out you are going to see a whole lot of people that are naked from the waist down.

As for my accounts, I don't really watch the overall markets. They go up, they go down. The general long term trend is up. I put some of my retirement in an index fund and forget it. For accounts that I actively manage, I just try to beat the pants off the market in the down years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by racrguy View Post
Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.
Broncojohnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 10:21 AM   #5
johnboy
Egotistical son bitch
VIP Member

I don't really keep up with it but I do get a quarterly statement that shows gains/losses for the quarter and the previous 12 months. From January to September I had a 25% gain. I'm waiting for the January 2017 to December 2017 statement. It should be good.
Old 01-01-2018, 10:49 AM   #6
Rick Modena
Cockasaurusmex ģ
VIP Member

Our 401k (IRA) is up by 30% over this time last year, thanks daddy Trump!!!
Rick Modena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 12:25 PM   #7
Kart21
Lifer

Was good for me..
Kart21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 02:16 PM   #8
Trip McNeely
DRILL BABY, DRILL!!!

I'm still waiting on my little slice parlaying since '14 in O&G. I'm glad I'm diverse. I've taken a beating on those Commodities.
Trip McNeely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 11:24 PM   #9
Gasser64
Lifer

Don't know much about 401ks but my aunt and uncle do and they said that they were damn glad they took all their money out of theirs before 2008. (their retirement year)

Makes me question whether other things might be a lot better, even if they were those low interest savings accounts or CD's or something. Anything, that doesn't run some kind of risk of being wiped out. When talking about something as precious as your retirement, doesn't really seem worth any risk.
Old 01-02-2018, 01:20 AM   #10
soap
I ♥️ 🐄

Quote:
Originally Posted by quikag View Post
Yes! Trump definitely helped my investments for sure.

I donít mean to brag, but I think if I cashed out everything, I might even be able to buy two cowskin rugs. Donít be jealous of me, be jealous of the game.
Two cow skin rugs!! Jesus fucking Christ $$choo$$ $$choo$

Without my gun hobby. I would cut off my own dick and let the rats eat it...
🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄
soap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 05:59 AM   #11
dcs13
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasser64 View Post
Don't know much about 401ks but my aunt and uncle do and they said that they were damn glad they took all their money out of theirs before 2008. (their retirement year)
When talking about something as precious as your retirement, doesn't really seem worth any risk.
They did exactly what they should have. You don't want to be invested in risk(ier) investments when you are about to retire. I'm retiring in 2018 , I transferred my risky stuff about a week after the tax bill cleared. Its all about making 8% from here on out.
If you're not retiring for 10 years, now is the time to make money. For the average Joe, the first thing you should be putting your money in is a Roth IRA. Those are great, unless you make cho cho money and cant contribute. UNLESS your employer does a matching 401k. If they match, put your money there first. Theres tons of good advice out there. Dave Ramsey gives good advice. Listen to his show, or buy his book. Most important thing is save some freaking money. Social security aint gonna pay you jack. Its every man for himself.
Old 01-02-2018, 06:50 AM   #12
Ruffdaddy
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcs13 View Post
They did exactly what they should have. You don't want to be invested in risk(ier) investments when you are about to retire. I'm retiring in 2018 , I transferred my risky stuff about a week after the tax bill cleared. Its all about making 8% from here on out.
If you're not retiring for 10 years, now is the time to make money. For the average Joe, the first thing you should be putting your money in is a Roth IRA. Those are great, unless you make cho cho money and cant contribute. UNLESS your employer does a matching 401k. If they match, put your money there first. Theres tons of good advice out there. Dave Ramsey gives good advice. Listen to his show, or buy his book. Most important thing is save some freaking money. Social security aint gonna pay you jack. Its every man for himself.
Why are you considering a Roth better than a traditional 401k? I would think the average person would have a lower income in retirement and would want to take advantage of the tax deferred earnings.
Ruffdaddy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 06:57 AM   #13
The King
Lifer

One of the justifications for a Roth over a tax-deferred retirement account is that income taxes in general are likely to be higher in the future. That being said I went heavy on the 401K option instead because of the employer matching...free money so to speak.
The King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 07:00 AM   #14
dcs13
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruffdaddy View Post
Why are you considering a Roth better than a traditional 401k? I would think the average person would have a lower income in retirement and would want to take advantage of the tax deferred earnings.
On a ROTH, you invest after tax money on the front end, but pay no taxes on the back end on what you have earned. That can be a ton of tax free money.

Good tips here..
https://www.fool.com/retirement/iras...-benefits.aspx
Old 01-02-2018, 07:02 AM   #15
dcs13
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The King View Post
That being said I went heavy on the 401K option instead because of the employer matching...free money so to speak.
THIS. I would do this before a ROTH.
Im no expert guys, get real advice. I understand basics but everyone is different. My key point is DO SOMETHING to save for retirement.
Old 01-02-2018, 09:40 AM   #16
akfodysvn
Lifer

Quote:
LOL everyone would dream of getting 8% "from hear on out". That's a great rate of return for the life of any investment. You should be planning for 4%ish with a non aggressive portfolio on avg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruffdaddy View Post
Depends on everyone's situation. Have a pension? Then some non taxable income is great with a roth IRA to supplement your income. Want to borrow against your investment penalty free... then a Roth IRA is great (you can touch anything but the earnings without a penalty). Roth's don't have a required minimum distribution. ETC, ETC. In my opinion you should balance traditional and roth. Too easy to max out a Roth. We are looking at all time low taxes currently... my bet is they will be higher in 20 years when I retire.

Too hard to generalize
akfodysvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 10:06 AM   #17
slow99
Genetically Blessed

401k? Shit, I have a brand new car and an iphone X!

Most people I talk to have nothing but good things to say about you, but you sure come across as a condescending prick. Do you have an inferiority complex you've attempted to overcome through overachievement? Or were you fondled as a child?

You and slow99 should date. You both have passive aggressiveness down pat.
slow99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 10:59 AM   #18
Sgt Beavis
Lifer

DAMMIT! I fell $6K short of making a quarter million this year.

It's all Trump's fault.
Sgt Beavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 12:42 PM   #19
fordracing19
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt Beavis View Post
DAMMIT! I fell $6K short of making a quarter million this year.

It's all Trump's fault.
Solid barg
Old 01-02-2018, 01:37 PM   #20
Gasser64
Lifer

Quote:
You don't want to be invested in risk(ier) investments...
Aren't you supposed to hold the 401k until you retire? If that is the case, then perhaps it falls on your retirement year, that the 401k gets its ass whooped. The word "retirement" is what I can't get over. Its like it may just go wrong, when you're at your most vulnerable.

Tags
anthonys 401k owns u, blowhardsville!!, dfwmwallstreetangs.net, lets go! maga!, nay retirement=suck dik, nay says invest in weed, nay says wats 401k, nay sucks for ebt card, nay=foodstamp rich, stocks lolz @ naygers, svo 401k > bill gates, svo has 402k, svo invented 401k's, svo knows mr. roth, svo owns wall street, svo pocket change>401k, svo says you're welcome, svo's 401k is 800trillion