DFW Mustangs    

Go Back   DFW Mustangs > General > The Back Porch

The Back Porch General Discussions for topics that don't belong in other forums.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2019, 06:00 PM   #21
JV106
Time Served
 
JV106's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 357
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcoop View Post
Texas has Ag exemptions, and the qualifying factors vary by County. For instance, Grayson County you must have 10+ acres AFTER the house is carved out (1 acre). Collin County, I think the minimum is 5 acres.

But that doesn't solve the problem. Say you have a $400,000 house on 11 acres. Your ag exemption only applies to the remaining 10 acres, there is zero tax benefit on the house and the 1 acre it's attached to. So you get a break on the land, but what they will do is, increase your value on the home and not the land. If you're homesteaded, you can plan on 10% max every single year. If you're not, they'll bend you over harder. The govt will ALWAYS find a way to get their taste.
Im going through this right now. We bought a house that was in ag and had an over 65 exemption on it. Weve been here a year - they pulled it out of ag and raised taxes from $4800 to $10k in a years time (2 tax years). We started the appeal process and then decided to hire a cpa to fight them. So far we got the appraised value dropped from 520k to 425k which is what we paid for it.

Just a few tips for ppl based on my experience:
-have your or any realtor write you a letter either for ag or with comps for an appeal. If for ag have them state everyone else around you is in ag.
-go down to the local usda and have them write you a letter for the ag exemption. The one in Ellis county is great. They are certainly a govt organization that will help you not get boned by the govt.

Property taxes are completely out of hand.
JV106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 06:58 PM   #22
shumpertdavid
You Can't Fix Stupid
VIP Member
 
shumpertdavid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Lake Texoma
Posts: 3,651
Default

We had 1 property go up 95k this year in tax appraisal. Added another $1800 in taxes i think. I fought the appraisal for my grandma back in 2016 on this place because the house is junk but she won't have it bulldozed. She had me have the roof repaired this year and painted the exterior, cost about 18 grand and the appraised value went from 61k to 154. It's 10 acres, they added 40k to the property value and 55k to the improvements.
shumpertdavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 08:03 PM   #23
GhostTX
Token Troll
 
GhostTX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Sherman
Posts: 11,063
Default

Sherman reappraised all the properties a few years ago and they've been screwing us with the 10% increase each year until it meets the appraised value. Further, idiots voted for a school bond, adding to the property taxes. If that wasn't enough, just the threat of the state limiting entities to 2.5% year over year already has the city in panic to raise taxes some more before the state passes any legislation.
https://www.heralddemocrat.com/news/...y-tax-increase

Personally, drop the property tax, put sales tax on every thing and bump it up a few percent. The less I spend, the more I save. And, at least I can own my land instead of paying rent to the government in perpetuity.
__________________
"Self-government won't work without self-discipline." - Paul Harvey
GhostTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 08:03 PM   #24
dcs13
Lifer
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 2,473
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JV106 View Post
Im going through this right now. We bought a house that was in ag and had an over 65 exemption on it. Weve been here a year - they pulled it out of ag and raised taxes from $4800 to $10k in a years time (2 tax years). .
Did they charge you the 5 year roll back when they pulled it out of AG. Collin County tried to pull one of mine out of Ag last year, we fought and won thankfully. Sold the property last July. I'm sure new owner is getting his ass handed to him right now.
dcs13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 08:19 PM   #25
Broncojohnny
Lifer
 
Broncojohnny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Posts: 43,506
Default

I just find it amusing that the schools STILL don't have enough money. It is almost like they never will.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by racrguy View Post
What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
Quote:
Originally Posted by racrguy View Post
Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.
Broncojohnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 08:27 PM   #26
JV106
Time Served
 
JV106's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 357
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcs13 View Post
Did they charge you the 5 year roll back when they pulled it out of AG. Collin County tried to pull one of mine out of Ag last year, we fought and won thankfully. Sold the property last July. I'm sure new owner is getting his ass handed to him right now.
No they didnt pull that. But I read that they could. I think I messed up by going down there to file for ag when I bought it.

Howd you win the fight?
JV106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 08:29 PM   #27
kingjason
Notorious PIG
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Down South
Posts: 7,772
Default

I can't remember exactly what the gist was but the state is trying to take the tax money VS the cities. Somewhere down the road they quit contributing to education like they use to and now they want to control all of the money. The schools are fucking killing everyone right now. I mean I get hit with the automatic 10 every year but they are flat jumping school taxes with the bonds from hell. Hachie got a huge bond and then turned around and tried to hit us with another one for a natatorium. I mean for fucks sake since when did we need to build a baby white house for education? A nice barndominium would be just fine. We basically just did this and got a new PD for cheap. We are super excited to be out of the 1940, flooding, moldy ass building and into something new. Hachie probably spent 20 times what we did on their new building and for what?. My city just started talking about rolling back taxes for the retired folk and locking them in. When I retire I am moving to a state with no property taxes for sure. What a beating, my shit has more than doubled in seven years.

I can't figure out why they need to raise anything when they add 4000 houses to the tax rolls. Leave my house alone until the next guy buys the house then get with the current market pricing and taxes.
__________________
Whos your Daddy?
kingjason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 09:10 PM   #28
BradM
Bad Santa
 
BradM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 10,180
Default

Add me to the no kids 10k tax rate yearly problem
BradM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 09:11 PM   #29
Broncojohnny
Lifer
 
Broncojohnny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Posts: 43,506
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingjason View Post
I can't figure out why they need to raise anything when they add 4000 houses to the tax rolls.
Because every single time they have extra money they figure out a way to waste it.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by racrguy View Post
What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
Quote:
Originally Posted by racrguy View Post
Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.
Broncojohnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 09:24 PM   #30
Ruffdaddy
Lifer
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 11,610
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingjason View Post
I can't remember exactly what the gist was but the state is trying to take the tax money VS the cities. Somewhere down the road they quit contributing to education like they use to and now they want to control all of the money.....
That's what happens when local govt gets way too damn greedy and doesnt check their tax problem. Theres no way I'm getting twice as much value out of the taxing entities as I used to and costs surely havent doubled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncojohnny View Post
Because every single time they have extra money they figure out a way to waste it.
Exactly this. Its fucking waste...no way have costs increased at the rate of tax growth.
Ruffdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 09:33 PM   #31
hxbernal
Served Time
 
hxbernal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 455
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool cat View Post
I thought once you hit 65 your property taxes froze at that amount, on your homesteaded property.
Correct. You must file that paperwork. Don't expect it to just happen.

Just don't move to a better place. In the mid 2000's my parents home in Downtown was bought and demolished. They had hit 65 just 2-3 years prior and locked in a $1400 yearly tax bill. They moved to Lake Highlands (this was during the uptick in the economy) and were/are now locked in at $3400 paying both Dallas and Richardson. Here's the kicker no kids in my family have ever gone to a public school

5 years ago my pops passed. I called to find out if there's anything we could do to get the taxes lowered. I informed them my mom was a stay at home her entire life so she doesn't have a pension or anything like that and my pops didn't either. I used her neighbors as an example. An elderly couple in their late 80's and an old as hell weirdo son. All 3 are drawing pensions plus retirement and are locked in at $1k since the 90's (I looked it up to have a valid point and hopefully get them to see it my way). She gave me 2 options. 1. Move into a cheaper house (I said you mean into a bad neighborhood) or
2. Sign the house over to them and she longer has to pay but at death they get the house

Till this day I've never been more heated over a telephone conversation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruffdaddy View Post
They can. Read my post above.

And I'm 32 so I'm not even close to a cap but I do want to retire in my mid 50s.
Welcome to my world. I retired at 33 and 5 years in I've gotten the 10% max increase every year since. I'm more than likely going to have to go back to work this year solely due to property taxes.

Last edited by hxbernal; 05-22-2019 at 10:57 AM.
hxbernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 04:40 AM   #32
bubbaearl
Time Served
 
bubbaearl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 768
Default

check your school taxes and see how much is sent to south texas every year . your head will explode.
bubbaearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 05:38 AM   #33
dcs13
Lifer
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 2,473
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JV106 View Post
Howd you win the fight?
We left. Sold all the property we owned last year. I'm now in Blanco County in the Hill Country .. "Wildlife" is my new exemption... They're so much nicer than Collin County.
I know the new owners had a fight with Collin County. Our realtor was upfront and told them the roll back was possible..
Property tax shit has really gotten bad. They will tell you flat out, its going up 10% per year... Thats BS
dcs13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 06:35 AM   #34
BP
infidel
 
BP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Posts: 19,163
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncojohnny View Post
I just find it amusing that the schools STILL don't have enough money. It is almost like they never will.
Granbury high school has an aerospace program. They built an aircraft and students get to use it for flight time. I mean it's awesome that kids get to do stuff like this but it doesn't seem like something tax payers should be paying for. I guess it's better than paying the football coach $150k a year.
BP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 06:47 AM   #35
Big A
Lifer
 
Big A's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 43,257
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcoop View Post
lol. Kinda got you by the short and curlies there, Aaron.
Not at all, there's a big difference between not wanting to pay taxes on something you've never used nor needed (incidentally feel the same about Medicare/cade), versus expecting others to pay for the house you are living in.

The validity and amount of said taxes is a separate discussion, and precisely why we are no longer ruled by England.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Big A is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 07:07 AM   #36
Ruffdaddy
Lifer
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 11,610
Default

The thing that kills me the most is that you could literally have your house paid off but still be stuck with a monthly payment well over a grand after retirement. That shouldnt be acceptable anywhere...especially not in a supposedly conservative state.
Ruffdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 08:11 AM   #37
GeorgeG.
Lifer
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Van Alstyne
Posts: 5,341
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BP View Post
Granbury high school has an aerospace program. They built an aircraft and students get to use it for flight time. I mean it's awesome that kids get to do stuff like this but it doesn't seem like something tax payers should be paying for. I guess it's better than paying the football coach $150k a year.
This is what gets me the most. Some of these fucking football stadiums are absolutely insane. I can't even begin to imaging how much money some of the coaches and administrators get.
GeorgeG. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 08:17 AM   #38
bcoop
Lifer
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 41,814
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big A View Post
Not at all, there's a big difference between not wanting to pay taxes on something you've never used nor needed (incidentally feel the same about Medicare/cade), versus expecting others to pay for the house you are living in.

You do realize there is already an over 65 exemption, which essentially does precisely what Notch says? Though it doesn't rid them completely, it does reduce for over 65, thus, other tax payers are already bearing the burden of the shortfall on the over 65 exemptions.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruffdaddy View Post
The thing that kills me the most is that you could literally have your house paid off but still be stuck with a monthly payment well over a grand after retirement. That shouldnt be acceptable anywhere...especially not in a supposedly conservative state.

My Dad retired last fall, and moved to our place in OK. Property tax is roughly $600/yr on a small house, two barns, and 196 acres. There is State income tax, but I don't have a clue what the rates are.

The downside to this is that the State is broke, and we've all heard about the school/teacher crisis. At almost 79, I don't think he really gives a shit about any of that. He's got everything he needs. He probably wishes the county roads got a little more maintenance but outside of that, he is unaffected.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradM View Post
But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leah View Post
In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.
bcoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 09:47 AM   #39
kingjason
Notorious PIG
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Down South
Posts: 7,772
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcoop View Post
You do realize there is already an over 65 exemption, which essentially does precisely what Notch says? Though it doesn't rid them completely, it does reduce for over 65, thus, other tax payers are already bearing the burden of the shortfall on the over 65 exemptions
Dallas does but Duncanville told my mom to F Off.
__________________
Whos your Daddy?
kingjason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 11:00 AM   #40
Baron Von Crowder
asshole with an opinion
VIP Member
 
Baron Von Crowder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Venus
Posts: 23,817
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingjason View Post
Dallas does but Duncanville told my mom to F Off.
I think the chatter I saw was that Venus City taxes did not either.
__________________
"If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford
Baron Von Crowder is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:12 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.