DFW Mustangs    

Go Back   DFW Mustangs > General > The Back Porch

The Back Porch General Discussions for topics that don't belong in other forums.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2019, 11:05 AM   #41
BP
infidel
 
BP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Posts: 19,166
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeG. View Post
I can't even begin to imaging how much money some of the coaches and administrators get.
$158k for Hank Carter, the coach at Lake Travis High School. More than triple the average teacher salary at the same school.
BP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 11:07 AM   #42
BP
infidel
 
BP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Posts: 19,166
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingjason View Post
Dallas does but Duncanville told my mom to F Off.
Coach Samples makes $139k a year.
BP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 11:50 AM   #43
TX_92_Notch
Just a nobody
VIP Member
 
TX_92_Notch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 2,223
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big A View Post
Not at all, there's a big difference between not wanting to pay taxes on something you've never used nor needed (incidentally feel the same about Medicare/cade), versus expecting others to pay for the house you are living in.

The validity and amount of said taxes is a separate discussion, and precisely why we are no longer ruled by England.
Show me where in my post I said I shouldn't have to pay taxes. It's the percentage taken on our houses that kills me, you dolt. You should be a journalist. You're very good at twisting words to mean what you want, not what was said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruffdaddy View Post
The thing that kills me the most is that you could literally have your house paid off but still be stuck with a monthly payment well over a grand after retirement. That shouldnt be acceptable anywhere...especially not in a supposedly conservative state.
Exactly this. We shouldn't have to rent our houses from the fucking County and School District for eternity. A person's homestead shouldn't be the bread and butter for the tax collector.
TX_92_Notch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 12:58 PM   #44
Gasser64
Lifer
 
Gasser64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 3,820
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruffdaddy View Post
Has anyone that knows real estate better than me been following Texas real estate tax reform?

The wife and I were looking at getting a bigger lot with a 4 car garage...and the house price isnt what kills me. It's the fact that I will be paying over a grand per month in just taxes alone.

So does anyone know if the tax reform going through the Texas govt right now will actually help rates...or will it just slow the rate of increase?

I cannot get over pissing away that much money to the govt regardless of if its within budget. Going from my house now to the house we're looking at will result in a 100K+ loss over 15 years from real estate taxes alone if assume a 5% return annually.
We finally agree on something. I hate, HATE property tax. I'm sure you can imagine what I'd like to have seen happen to the filthy government scum that dared to dream of it. It involves a noose. Property tax is what turned us all into slaves. They're freer in Italy because of this, apparently. I know an somewhat recent italian immigrant (legal) who is always talking about how he can't believe nobody in america actually owns property. Soon as you don't pay the parasite that extortion money, it ain't yours no more.

Its shit like this that made em pick up a gun in 1776 and blow ol limey's guts out. I'd support cancelling the property tax permanently and turning it into sales tax. No more property tax of any kind though, the government can never take your land or tax your land, only one who can ever take it is the bank if you didn't pay it off. Then we could work on making that sales tax next to nothing.

The way these sub humans operate, is they spread the taxes out across a million fronts in order to confuse the common man. If they just had one tax, it would always be low cause they'd never be in office long enough before the next guy was elected to lower it back down. So they have 10k different taxes.
__________________
WAH HAA!
Gasser64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 01:17 PM   #45
TX_92_Notch
Just a nobody
VIP Member
 
TX_92_Notch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 2,223
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasser64 View Post
We finally agree on something. I hate, HATE property tax. I'm sure you can imagine what I'd like to have seen happen to the filthy government scum that dared to dream of it. It involves a noose. Property tax is what turned us all into slaves. They're freer in Italy because of this, apparently. I know an somewhat recent italian immigrant (legal) who is always talking about how he can't believe nobody in america actually owns property. Soon as you don't pay the parasite that extortion money, it ain't yours no more.

Its shit like this that made em pick up a gun in 1776 and blow ol limey's guts out. I'd support cancelling the property tax permanently and turning it into sales tax. No more property tax of any kind though, the government can never take your land or tax your land, only one who can ever take it is the bank if you didn't pay it off. Then we could work on making that sales tax next to nothing.

The way these sub humans operate, is they spread the taxes out across a million fronts in order to confuse the common man. If they just had one tax, it would always be low cause they'd never be in office long enough before the next guy was elected to lower it back down. So they have 10k different taxes.
You're failing to mention the reason for all of the taxes - to pay for all of the illegals and lazy SOB's that don't want to work (here and around the globe), and to fund the ever-growing federal government.

Last edited by TX_92_Notch; 05-22-2019 at 11:08 PM.
TX_92_Notch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 02:37 PM   #46
bubbaearl
Time Served
 
bubbaearl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 768
Default

robin hood is why your taxes are so high. our little town had only 1-8 but still sent over 600k to the state to send to the fucking valley to educate illegals . dont want your kids in a shithole school ? move .
bubbaearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 04:57 PM   #47
krazy kris
Lifer
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 9,474
Default

Love my taxes! Ag exemption for my pecan orchard
a 2014 4 bed 2 bath double wide on 13 acres with a shop my taxes are $31 a year.
krazy kris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 06:16 PM   #48
Ruffdaddy
Lifer
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 11,613
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazy kris View Post
Love my taxes! Ag exemption for my pecan orchard
a 2014 4 bed 2 bath double wide on 13 acres with a shop my taxes are $31 a year.
I take it you've only been there a year? No way is taxed at a value under $200
Ruffdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 06:19 PM   #49
krazy kris
Lifer
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 9,474
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruffdaddy View Post
I take it you've only been there a year? No way is taxed at a value under $200
Been here 2 going on 3 years. last year it was 26 a year. When I bought it. It got appraised at somewhere around 220-250 I can't remember.

Last edited by krazy kris; 05-22-2019 at 06:36 PM.
krazy kris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 06:46 PM   #50
krazy kris
Lifer
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 9,474
Default

Move out to the sticks and shit gets cheaper. Yeah you don't get a ton of the amenities like you do in a big city and you have to take a 2-3 mile gravel road to the house. The roads can be an issue they chew up tires pretty quick.
krazy kris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 07:12 PM   #51
Ruffdaddy
Lifer
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 11,613
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazy kris View Post
Been here 2 going on 3 years. last year it was 26 a year. When I bought it. It got appraised at somewhere around 220-250 I can't remember.
So your house is appraised at a few grand? This really sounds like when people are getting taxed on land only then they finally get a real tax bill with the "improvements" on it.
Ruffdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 07:15 PM   #52
krazy kris
Lifer
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 9,474
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruffdaddy View Post
So your house is appraised at a few grand? This really sounds like when people are getting taxed on land only then they finally get a real tax bill with the "improvements" on it.
No sir when I went to apply at the county office for the ag exemption I took my inspection report of the home, shop dimensions, a couple carport deminsions, and a porch deminsion
krazy kris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 07:18 PM   #53
krazy kris
Lifer
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 9,474
Default

Without the AG and homestead my taxes were going to be about 1k a year
krazy kris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 08:41 PM   #54
dblack1
Lifer
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,165
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BP View Post
$158k for Hank Carter, the coach at Lake Travis High School. More than triple the average teacher salary at the same school.

Well, with the property taxes that isn't going far.

They will take until it's all gone. If it wasn't for insurance and taxes I might could retire one day
dblack1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 10:11 PM   #55
TX_92_Notch
Just a nobody
VIP Member
 
TX_92_Notch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 2,223
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazy kris View Post
Love my taxes! Ag exemption for my pecan orchard
a 2014 4 bed 2 bath double wide on 13 acres with a shop my taxes are $31 a year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruffdaddy View Post
I take it you've only been there a year? No way is taxed at a value under $200
A close friend of mine has some property in Wood County, around 10 acres I think. His taxes were right at $450/yr and he got ag exemption for honey bees and his taxes dropped to $11/year.

We're going to attempt the same on our property in Dallas County. We keep bees, among other livestock, but the bees seems to be the simplest route to an ag exemption.

The cool part is they don't care who owns the bees. Just that you have legit bee hives on your property. There are plenty of beekeepers out there looking for places to keep hives. We have 4 hives and the same friend mentioned above keeps 4 hives on our property (total of 8 for the challenged among us).
TX_92_Notch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 10:16 PM   #56
Ruffdaddy
Lifer
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 11,613
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX_92_Notch View Post
A close friend of mine has some property in Wood County, around 10 acres I think. His taxes were right at $450/yr and he got ag exemption for honey bees and his taxes dropped to $11/year.

We're going to attempt the same on our property in Dallas County. We keep bees, among other livestock, but the bees seems to be the simplest route to an ag exemption.

The cool part is they don't care who owns the bees. Just that you have legit bee hives on your property. There are plenty of beekeepers out there looking for places to keep hives. We have 4 hives and the same friend mentioned above keeps 4 hives on our property (total of 8 for the challenged among us).
I understand how ag exemptions work I just didnt know how cheap mobile homes are. It sounds like they basically just knocked out the entire value of his house with the homestead.
Ruffdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 12:56 AM   #57
kingjason
Notorious PIG
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Down South
Posts: 7,772
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BP View Post
$158k for Hank Carter, the coach at Lake Travis High School. More than triple the average teacher salary at the same school.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BP View Post
Coach Samples makes $139k a year.
My wife made about 65k as a athletic trainer. She did that 6 years and quit. She absolutely hated the teaching part. For her 65k a year she worked over a 100 hours a week. I think the coaches put in more than that. Why the fuck they make anyone in athletics teach is beyond me. Let them coach only, work about 40 hours a week and pay them 60k.

I don't really think it is the teachers pay adding up. It's the fact they have so much administration now, counselors, little side helpers, they cater to any and everything. That on top of the billion dollar stadiums and schools just gets ridiculous. I have no kids but I don't mind paying school taxes. Years ago someone made a good point on that. People paid for me to go to school as a kid, so it is a pay it forward type of deal.
__________________
Whos your Daddy?
kingjason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 05:02 AM   #58
Gasser64
Lifer
 
Gasser64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 3,820
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX_92_Notch View Post
The cool part is they don't care who owns the bees. Just that you have legit bee hives on your property. There are plenty of beekeepers out there looking for places to keep hives. We have 4 hives and the same friend mentioned above keeps 4 hives on our property (total of 8 for the challenged among us).
That's all fine and well, for now. Just wait until some new scum looks at that and sees dollar signs. Suddenly that will change. Cause guys that money really would help us out a lot here. Think of the children.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingjason View Post
Years ago someone made a good point on that. People paid for me to go to school as a kid, so it is a pay it forward type of deal.
Slave mindset. Masta feeds and houses you so you really should just do the work. If you don't you'll get the whip anyway so just do the work. Remarkably similar to this situation huh? We could privatize all the schools and let them compete for your money IF you have any kids who are of the age to need a school. If you don't, then you have no reason to pay a school.

This is all nothing but pure parasitism. Its why Trump wants the Department of Education gone, and I support him 100% and I hope he achieves it. Just like with welfare and all the rest, it of course long ago lost its original purpose. It now only exists to sustain and improve upon itself, and not to do its actual job.
__________________
WAH HAA!

Last edited by Gasser64; 05-23-2019 at 05:10 AM.
Gasser64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 06:05 AM   #59
bcoop
Lifer
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 41,815
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX_92_Notch View Post
A close friend of mine has some property in Wood County, around 10 acres I think. His taxes were right at $450/yr and he got ag exemption for honey bees and his taxes dropped to $11/year.

We're going to attempt the same on our property in Dallas County. We keep bees, among other livestock, but the bees seems to be the simplest route to an ag exemption.

The cool part is they don't care who owns the bees. Just that you have legit bee hives on your property. There are plenty of beekeepers out there looking for places to keep hives. We have 4 hives and the same friend mentioned above keeps 4 hives on our property (total of 8 for the challenged among us).

A buddy in Gunter screwed himself by not checking out Ag requirements before he bought. He’s on a hair under 9 acres, 8 if you carve out the house. Grayson requires 10 for everything except for bees. So he now has bee hives but he missed his window to roll over the Ag exemption. The Ag guy did credit him 2 years, but had he applied within 2 years he wouldn’t be in the position he is in now. He uses a Wrangler. We prepared a 15’ x 30’ pad with landscaping fabric, topped with rock, and built a 25’ fence to block the north wind. The bee wrangler does everything else for a period of 5 years.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradM View Post
But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leah View Post
In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.
bcoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 07:28 AM   #60
krazy kris
Lifer
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 9,474
Default

Every county is different with their AG/wildlife exemption standards. If you're planning on buying land and doing an exemption on it my advice would be to go talk to the county and see what their rules are for that county. For example I had bought 10 acres in Eastland county just to go out and hunt on and camp. I did a wildlife exemption where I had to make a few bird houses, put up feeders, and put in a food plot for supplementary feed, had a pond on it for water, did predator control. In the county I'm in now anything under 100 acres doesn't qualify for the wildlife exemption.
krazy kris is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:16 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.