Who plays golf?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who plays golf?

I've been playing for about 2 years, and I still haven't broke 100 I've gotten close though. I can say I've steadily improved since I started, but I feel like my swing is very inconsistent, and I'd really like to fix this. I can go from hitting too fat, to topping the ball, to hitting perfectly in a handful of swings. Fixing this would no doubt shave a ton of strokes off my game. I'm thinking about taking lessons, but I'm not sure if it will help, and who to go to for lessons. Post up if you play, what your handicap is and if you have any recommendations it would be appreciated!!

Not played consistently in a few years, but I hovered around a 10 handicap before I got into car racing.

Lessons help if you can find someone with a style you like. I took lessons from the guys at Hank Haney (in McKinney).

What equipment are you using? It's a lot of indian and some arrow, but you have to start out with forgiving stuff.

I'd recommend that you focus on your short game and then work backwards from there. Putting and chipping will easily knock 10 strokes off your game right now if you can make decent contact.

I played with a guy that was older and he basically hit 5i and 7i up until around the green then he would chip it close and 1 put. Consistency was key for him and he'd score between 80 and 90 consistently (bogey golf, which is a great goal). He never had blow up 8s, 9s or more.

I always liked to hit the driver, so we were a good team for pair events, but we definitely had different styles lol.

Comment

I like to play, but don't get to very often. If you don't want to pay for lessons, I've picked up a lot of things by watching the Golf Fix with Michael Breed on the Golf Channel and I picked up his book that uses the aid of a video camera to improve your swing. Whatever you do, correct your bad habit as soon as possible. The longer you play with them, the harder they are to break.

Comment

Originally posted by goofygrin View Post
        Not played consistently in a few years, but I hovered around a 10 handicap before I got into car racing.

Lessons help if you can find someone with a style you like. I took lessons from the guys at Hank Haney (in McKinney).

What equipment are you using? It's a lot of indian and some arrow, but you have to start out with forgiving stuff.

I'd recommend that you focus on your short game and then work backwards from there. Putting and chipping will easily knock 10 strokes off your game right now if you can make decent contact.

I played with a guy that was older and he basically hit 5i and 7i up until around the green then he would chip it close and 1 put. Consistency was key for him and he'd score between 80 and 90 consistently (bogey golf, which is a great goal). He never had blow up 8s, 9s or more.

I always liked to hit the driver, so we were a good team for pair events, but we definitely had different styles lol.

I play with Ping Eye 2's, they're pretty forgiving irons. I usually tee off with a 3 wood on any par 4 or 5 hole that I need to get it down the fairway more than 160 yards or so. I don't even bring the driver with me any more. I've thought about teeing off with irons only, but I'm almost as inconsistent with them as I am with my 3 wood. In the last few months I've made improvements in my game within 50 yards of the green, but not so much on getting it down there. I think nerves may be a big factor.

Comment

Originally posted by Tyrone Biggums View Post
          I like to play, but don't get to very often. If you don't want to pay for lessons, I've picked up a lot of things by watching the Golf Fix with Michael Breed on the Golf Channel and I picked up his book that uses the aid of a video camera to improve your swing. Whatever you do, correct your bad habit as soon as possible. The longer you play with them, the harder they are to break.
          I watch that show a lot also, it's pretty helpful. After video taping my swing I've identified a couple of issues with my swing that I've been working on lately, but I can't seem to figure out what makes me hit so inconsistently.

Comment

Get a couple of lessons. Go to the range and hit 10,000 balls. Have a beer if nerves are still getting you. You will be better.

Comment

I haven't played with any consistency in the last couple years but the last person I got a couple informal lessons from said the best way to improve your game is from the green back. I took that advice and would go after work almost every day with my putter and wedges to practice short game. This got me from hovering in the mid 90's & an occasional 100 to shooting consistent mid 80's. I quit carrying anything bigger than a 3 iron as my driver was off and on.

Then came work full time, school full time and now a baby. I haven't been on a golf course in over a year :/

Comment

I've just recently started playing consistently. I try to play once a week or so. (time/money permitting)

i can usually stay in the upper 90s.

the only thing i can really recommend is keep your cool. There's plenty of times where i just want to throw my bag into the nearest water hazard but i try to keep calm. I think of it more as something i enjoy.

If you think about it in terms of getting better and nothing else then the goal with be harder to achieve. If you think of it in terms of just having fun and getting away from work or the office or gf or wife then it makes it so much better.
                Originally posted by 56482
                only on DFWMUstangs...

Comment

Originally posted by Buick355 View Post
                  I watch that show a lot also, it's pretty helpful. After video taping my swing I've identified a couple of issues with my swing that I've been working on lately, but I can't seem to figure out what makes me hit so inconsistently.
                  Get a full-length mirror, and practice going from your static setup position to the top of the backswing without moving your head. If you can get to the top of your backswing and have a slight pause at the top without getting out of position, it's going to let you get into the downswing with a LOT better position.

Once you can do that without having to think about it (I still practice in front of my mirror a few times a week to watch position and club path), learn the Hogan Power Drill. When I get out of whack I watch this video and I sort myself out pretty quick...

Originally posted by PGreenCobra
                  I can't get over the fact that you get to go live the rest of your life, knowing that someone made a Halloween costume out of you. LMAO!!
                  Originally posted by Trip McNeely
                  Originally posted by dsrtuckteezy
                  dont downshift!!
                  Go do a whooly in front of a Peterbilt.

Comment

Some really good advice posted!! Thanks for posting that video Don. Suckerdin: I do need to learn to keep my cool. I get pissed when I play bad, not enough to throw my clubs usually, but it gives me a bad attitude and guarantees that I will play bad until I get over it. I notice I sometimes hit better shots when I loosen up and don't over think things. I also notice that I can go the range and shoot well, then when I get to the course it looks like I've never played before.

I think I will get a couple of lessons like Clevelandkid suggested. There's a few people that post on craigslist that give lessons, so maybe I'll try that first.
                    Last edited by Buick355; 02-10-2012, 05:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Buick355 View Post
                      Some really good advice posted!! Thanks for posting that video Don. Suckerdin: I do need to learn to keep my cool. I get pissed when I play bad, not enough to throw my clubs usually, but it gives me a bad attitude and guarantees that I will play bad until I get over it. I notice I sometimes hit better shots when I loosen up and don't over think things. I also notice that I can go the range and shoot well, then when I get to the course it looks like I've never played before.

I think I will get a couple of lessons like Clevelandkid suggested. There's a few people that post on craigslist that give lessons, so maybe I'll try that first.
                      Whereabouts do you live?
                      I can't get over the fact that you get to go live the rest of your life, knowing that someone made a Halloween costume out of you. LMAO!!
                      dont downshift!!

Comment

Originally posted by DON SVO View Post
                        Whereabouts do you live?
                        In East Fort Worth off of I-30 and Cooks, just north of Arlington. I just tried that Ben Hogan power drill and I can already tell it's helping. Made me realize I wasn't turning my hips on my back swing hardly at all. I may go to the Golf Center of Arlington tonight and hit a few, plus the have $1 drafts tonight!

Comment

Whereabouts do you live?
                          Don is asking, because if you want to learn to get "past" playing angry, just play with Don.

Seriously, he makes everyone angry.

Comment

Originally posted by ThreeFingerPete View Post
                            Don is asking, because if you want to learn to get "past" playing angry, just play with Don.

Seriously, he makes everyone angry.
                            ... Especially wild-swinging apes like Adam
                            dont downshift!!

Comment

... Especially wild-swinging apes like Adam
                              And doctors, and Bernie Mosfets, and anyone else who is within club throwing distance.

Comment

Working...
                              X