No announcement yet.

Drones!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Total newb here on drones. I'd like to get one that I can shoot some video with. I like the "avoidance" features and the "tracking"... Can I get some suggestions on models to look at ?

Comment

Mavic Air.

Video is pretty decent and it's got front, rear and downward avoidance. It can track you, it's got pre programmed routines for cinematic shots...and it's incredibly stable and easy to fly

Comment

Do you need the FAA cert for that one ?

Comment

No, you don't need one for any drone under 55 lbs that I'm aware of.

You only need the cert for commercial purposes so if.you want to use it to further a business then you will want to take the test. It was pretty straight forward for me. 1 week of studying and $150 later and I was golden.

Comment

I'd like to get a better one to chase hogs with lol. I really want to get some good drone footage so I can finish my intros.

Comment

Under 55 lbs you are still supposed to register on the FAA website and put your number on your drone. It is like a $5 fee. I’d also recommend joining the AMA too for the insurance. The AMA has been spending a lot of time and money lately making sure we can still fly our miniature aircraft. Without them, these rights will evaporate most likely.

Comment

Originally posted by AnthonyS View Post
                Under 55 lbs you are still supposed to register on the FAA website and put your number on your drone. It is like a $5 fee. I’d also recommend joining the AMA too for the insurance. The AMA has been spending a lot of time and money lately making sure we can still fly our miniature aircraft. Without them, these rights will evaporate most likely.
                It's probably important to detail the difference between certification and registration. As AnthonyS mentioned...anything under 55 and over like 0.5lbs has to be REGISTERED.

If you plan to fly commercially you have to be UAS CERTIFIED (part 107). That's a lot more involving but still not terribly difficult.

DJI and other commercial drone and software vendors will likely be more instrumental than any non profit LONG term and you can see them actively shaping laws now with their software controls and zoning. You won't even need to know how to read a sectional chart eventually as the software already has that stuff built in. After LAANC is more widespread it'll all be built in. I'm not pissing away $75 on a membership to an org that provides no other value for me.

Comment

The Mavic Air is also 15% off now for anyone interested.

Comment

I seen a mavic air for sale on FB classifieds I think it was in Hurst for like $200 the guy had upgraded.

Comment

Target has them at 549 now! Damn good deal.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruffdaddy View Post
                        Target has them at 549 now! Damn good deal.
                        Isn’t DJI about to release a new version?
                        sigpic18 F150 Supercrew - daily
                        17 F150 Supercrew - totaled Dec 12, 2018
                        13 DIB Premium GT, M6, Track Pack, Glass Roof, Nav, Recaros - Sold
                        86 SVO - Sold
                        '03 F150 Supercrew - Sold
                        01 TJ - new toy - Sold
                        65 F100 (460 + C6) - Sold

Comment

Originally posted by Chas_svo View Post
                          Isn’t DJI about to release a new version?
                          They are announcing something today so I dont have a clue. Speculation is that it's not a drone but everyone is guessing.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruffdaddy View Post
                            They are announcing something today so I dont have a clue. Speculation is that it's not a drone but everyone is guessing.
                            I saw several speculations but don’t follow that company or drones close. I do want one.
                            sigpic18 F150 Supercrew - daily
                            17 F150 Supercrew - totaled Dec 12, 2018
                            13 DIB Premium GT, M6, Track Pack, Glass Roof, Nav, Recaros - Sold
                            86 SVO - Sold
                            '03 F150 Supercrew - Sold
                            01 TJ - new toy - Sold
                            65 F100 (460 + C6) - Sold

Comment

Originally posted by Chas_svo View Post
                              I saw several speculations but don’t follow that company or drones close. I do want one.
                              The most convincing leaks I've seen are that it's like a battle bot kit. Seems kinda cool if they support some sort of league...otherwise I don't see it working.

Comment

Yep it's a robot kit that looks pretty awesome. I hope it catches on in schools. Robotics was a huge help for getting me into the career I'm in now.

Comment

Working...
                                X