Asa announces hearing protection act: A bill to remove suppressors from the nfa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chili View Post
    So what you are saying is that you believe that the current laws are keeping thugs from using SBR's and SBS's?

Not baiting, just curious.

It's easy to buy a short barrel for an AR today.. It's also very easy to saw off the end of a shotgun barrel.
    Yeah you can get AR pistols and pistol uppers and convert them to SBRs by swapping out stocks/buffer tubes or uppers
    Originally posted by Broncojohnny
    HOORAY ME and FUCK YOU!

Comment

Originally posted by Chili View Post
      So what you are saying is that you believe that the current laws are keeping thugs from using SBR's and SBS's?

Not baiting, just curious.

It's easy to buy a short barrel for an AR today.. It's also very easy to saw off the end of a shotgun barrel.
      That's fine, I'll be the first to admit it's irrational.

The law is not keeping thugs from using them, but that they are not in readily assembled format on a shelf in Cabelas for them to buy through a straw purchase. I wouldn't think many "thug4lyfe" style guys are the kind that would wrench their own AR-15s, swap barrels, convert a pistol AR to rifle.

Now the sawing off the barrel..good point

Comment

You don't have to wrench to convert a pistol or rifle into an illegal SBR. 20 seconds to swap uppers, 2 minutes to swap buffer tubes and stocks
        Originally posted by Broncojohnny
        HOORAY ME and FUCK YOU!

Comment

Originally posted by Nash B. View Post
          You don't have to wrench to convert a pistol or rifle into an illegal SBR. 20 seconds to swap uppers, 2 minutes to swap buffer tubes and stocks
          Then it's interesting more crimes aren't committed with illegally modified weapons. I guess this is an excellent point for exempting them from the NFA as well as suppressors. I sure would like to SBR more of my rifles...

Comment

Originally posted by IHaveAMustang View Post
            Then it's interesting more crimes aren't committed with illegally modified weapons. I guess this is an excellent point for exempting them from the NFA as well as suppressors. I sure would like to SBR more of my rifles...
            You can buy SBR/pistol uppers at a gun show without issue. They're only illegal when put together with a lower that isn't registered as an SBR or with a pistol buffer tube.

You don't see that stuff because almost every single one of the nut cases doing these mass shooting has no intention of leaving the scene alive. Who gives a fuck if a couple people figure out that the black barrel sticking out of a backpack is a rifle, he's about to start killing everyone he can in about 15 seconds.
            Originally posted by PGreenCobra
            I can't get over the fact that you get to go live the rest of your life, knowing that someone made a Halloween costume out of you. LMAO!!
            Originally posted by Trip McNeely
            Originally posted by dsrtuckteezy
            dont downshift!!
            Go do a whooly in front of a Peterbilt.

Comment

Originally posted by IHaveAMustang View Post
              That's fine, I'll be the first to admit it's irrational.

The law is not keeping thugs from using them, but that they are not in readily assembled format on a shelf in Cabelas for them to buy through a straw purchase. I wouldn't think many "thug4lyfe" style guys are the kind that would wrench their own AR-15s, swap barrels, convert a pistol AR to rifle.

Now the sawing off the barrel..good point
              I get where you're coming from, and acknowledging irrational thought is the first step to keeping it in check! Hell, we all have irrational thoughts / feelings / beliefs to some extent. That's why it's important to challenge your own thinking periodically.

And many, many laws are put on the books just to make people feel safer, and actually do not improve safety at all.

Comment

Watts, however, said calling these accessories “suppressors,” which is what they do and what they are—they do not silence a gun—will confuse gun control proponents with the facts.

Gun News: Anti-Gun Crowd Calls Facts Related to Hearing Protection Act "Semantics"

Watts Up? Suppressing Facts As ’Semantics,’ That’s Watts

Linguistic glossology is part of the game advocates play when engaged in any type of campaign in support of a cause. How facts and data are presented and spun is the tic-for-tac, the point-counter point, that defines public debate.
                But when zealots demand facts and accuracy be regarded as “semantics” while infusing exaggerations and faulty fiction into public discourse, it is apparent that they are manipulating emotions to keep the conversation stupid and have no interest in cogently addressing issues.
                Shannon Watts, the founder of the Michael Bloomberg-funded anti-Constitution front group, Moms Demand Action for Gun Sense in America, is a vivid example of a practitioner of this type of deceitful dumb-downing.
                Watts again blundered into fact-challenged hysteria with a downright dopey statement about HR 367 Hearing Protection Act of 2017. The only question is whether she is truly ignorant of facts, or if she’s made a concerted decision to lie about them.
                The proposed bill was introduced in January, has 141 co-sponsors and is idling before the House Subcommittee on Crime, Terrorism, Homeland Security and Investigations. It would amend the Internal Revenue Code to eliminate the $200 transfer tax on firearm suppressors.
                The mainstream media — more out of an ambient ignorance about firearms, legislation, litigation … and pretty much anything beyond feelings, beliefs and celebrity gossip — continuously and erroneously refers to suppressors as “silencers.”
                Except they are not “silencers.” These accessories reduce the noise of gunfire, not “silence” it. They are, essentially, like mufflers on vehicles; they don’t silence a vehicle, they just lower the volume so windows along streets don’t rattle.
                Watts, however, said calling these accessories “suppressors,” which is what they do and what they are, will confuse gun control proponents with the facts.
                “It’s all semantics,” she told The Hill. “Focusing on the name distracts people from the real conversation. They did the same thing with the debate over whether to use the term ‘assault rifles’ or ‘semiautomatic rifles,’ and then the whole conversation shifted to ‘What are we going to call these things?' They want to get into semantics about the language, so we don’t talk about how dangerous they are.”
                Needless to say, “assault weapon” is a meaningless, politically contrived term while “semiautomatic rifle” is, well, and accurate description of exactly what they are.
                These comments prompt wonderment. If facts, accuracy and a coherent understanding of what something is and what something is not, is “confusing,” then what “conversation” does Watts’ seek?

Comment

i think the bill is in discussion this week

Comment

Working...
                  X