No announcement yet.

Question: 2001 Toyota tune up with 74K miles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just looked up the procedure for replacing the timing belt on this engine. I'm thinking screw that. My distaste for fighting a transverse engine is outweighing my cheapness.

So with that in mind, Mechanic recommendations somewhere on the Fort Worth side of the world? I know a great shop for these that I trust, but they charge crazy prices. I believe in paying good money for good work, but these guys take it too far with their cost. Edit: just called them. $1,195. That includes water pump and tensioners and some other stuff, but damn.

Comment

Originally posted by BLAKE View Post
      I just looked up the procedure for replacing the timing belt on this engine. I'm thinking screw that. My distaste for fighting a transverse engine is outweighing my cheapness.

So with that in mind, Mechanic recommendations somewhere on the Fort Worth side of the world? I know a great shop for these that I trust, but they charge crazy prices. I believe in paying good money for good work, but these guys take it too far with their cost. Edit: just called them. $1,195. That includes water pump and tensioners and some other stuff, but damn.
      the dealer should have it on a menu, used to be pretty competitive.
      "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Possibly? I've only ever worked on RWD American iron. I'm thinking FWD Japanese in going to be painful.
        Yep. It was a PITA on my old SHO. I managed to get it done by myself in a weekend though.

Comment

Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder View Post
          the dealer should have it on a menu, used to be pretty competitive.
          No kidding? That's refreshing. I'll look into it.

Comment

No kidding? That's refreshing. I'll look into it.
            I can only say good things about Toyota of Fort Worth. It's not a super fancy dealership but they are always friendly and never tried to up sell me crap I didn't need.

Also check out http://www.prattauto.com/ I've never personally used them but it's close by and they've been there forever. Can't be too bad.

Comment

Originally posted by BP View Post
              I can only say good things about Toyota of Fort Worth. It's not a super fancy dealership but they are always friendly and never tried to up sell me crap I didn't need.
              We've bought two of my wife's cars there and have no complaints.

Comment

Blake, it should be minimal effort to get 200k more miles.
                sigpic18 F150 Supercrew - daily
                17 F150 Supercrew - totaled Dec 12, 2018
                13 DIB Premium GT, M6, Track Pack, Glass Roof, Nav, Recaros - Sold
                86 SVO - Sold
                '03 F150 Supercrew - Sold
                01 TJ - new toy - Sold
                65 F100 (460 + C6) - Sold

Comment

That's in line with what I have dealt with. I will say, the original belt lasted 130k before finally going. It did not hurt the engine.

Comment

Originally posted by mstng86 View Post
                    That's in line with what I have dealt with. I will say, the original belt lasted 130k before finally going. It did not hurt the engine.
                    That's a good point. If it isn't an interference motor then I would be more apt to ride it out and change it when it is more convenient or when it finally decides to give up. I changed my Audi A3's belt because it is an interference motor... so I completely understand not wanting to mess with the transverse mounted engine.

Comment

Good stuff, thanks guys!

Comment

Working...
                      X