Thinking about taking up archery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking about taking up archery

I have played around with my nephews bow that he used to get a badge as a scout a few years back, now I'm thinking about getting my own. I think it would be a cool skill to have. Now I'm wondering if I should pick up my own setup or take lessons/class. Any thoughts on how I should proceed?

If you really want to do this, I wouldn't mind taking it back up. It's a lot of fun if you have a buddy or two that does it. I took archery in college and loved it. I then got into compound bows, some competing and hunting after. Once I joined the navy, I stopped. I've long considered restarting.

Best advice is find a reputable shop with range. They will fit you properly for your bow and provide lessons, etc. You pay a bit more this way but you learn and get fitted properly. Your body size, strength, and a proper bow are too important to go guessing. You need the right size, right draw weight, draw length, arrow length and lots of details I've forgotten. If anyone knows a great DFW archery shop, I'd love the deets.

Comment

If I can fit it into my schedule, heck ya. Good advice about getting fitted. I never even thought about that and I was planning on shopping for a bow before considering taking a class.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

Comment

I love bow hunting. With all the different bows I suggest going to a bow shop or even Cabela's and shooting a bunch of different bows. I shot a bowtech, PSE, Mathews, and a Bear attitude and the Bear was the best fit for me and I was stacking arrows in the paint as soon as I picked it up. It was also the cheapest at $350 fully rigged out.

Comment

I am in the same boat as you Jose and was down the path until baseball/softball (youth) started and ran out of time.

I bought a used (never used) old model compound. I talked with a lot of folks about long, recurve, cross and compound bows and for my purposes the compound bow was the obvious choice. Plus they are abundant out there to get started with. I did not want to spend 400+ dollars on a bow and not knowing what I'm doing. Unlike guns, these things do not hold value at all. Newer models, wear/tear and so forth do decrease their value.

I have all the parts I need for it, but instead of youtubing I also need to get to a shop for sizing/installation/overview of it all. I do not know a single bowhunter that has said "Dude, just wing it and do it yourself" or anything similar. Several of them I really trust. So ya, may spend another 100-200 for that work.

I will say, all those dudes said to stay away from Cabelas and similar big stores. Find a local shop and work with them. Better service, better advice, better work...etc.

I bought into bowhunting since in TX there is an abundance of public land for bows, but not for rifles. Plus, it will make me step up my stealth and blind making game.
          Originally posted by MR EDD
          U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

My dad knows a guy off of Buckner by the old Speedtek or whatever it was south of 30. He started out as a fishing/marine shop, but over the last decade or so has become an archery shop.

Good stand up guys that know their stuff.

G'Day Mate

Comment

Originally posted by Grimpala View Post
              My dad knows a guy off of Buckner by the old Speedtek or whatever it was south of 30. He started out as a fishing/marine shop, but over the last decade or so has become an archery shop.

http://www.allstarmarine.com/
              They have a shop in Lewisville by Eagle Gun Range, I bought my bow from them.

Jose
              If you want to get started I strongly suggest you look into these guys http://texasarchery.info/
              Their website sort of sucks but they have a great outdoor range at Elm Fork and a few other locations. One membership get you in all locations. The offer classes and loaner equipment.

Comment

Originally posted by Grimpala View Post

http://www.allstarmarine.com/
                Thanks for the info, I'll have to check it out.

Originally posted by bybotie View Post
                They have a shop in Lewisville by Eagle Gun Range, I bought my bow from them.

Jose
                If you want to get started I strongly suggest you look into these guys http://texasarchery.info/
                Their website sort of sucks but they have a great outdoor range at Elm Fork and a few other locations. One membership get you in all locations. The offer classes and loaner equipment.
                Thanks Marty, I'll have to give them a call and see what they are about.

Comment

If you want something handmade and cool, check this guy out. He makes all of his stuff and sells it. He is an old friend of mine and one of the best archers I've ever seen. He can probably advise you on whats best to start with.

Log into Facebook to start sharing and connecting with your friends, family, and people you know.

One of his videos.

Last edited by JC316; 07-21-2017, 02:19 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X