How much would you pay for this car?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much would you pay for this car?

I'm trying to weigh if this car is a good flip. Its a 1999 Mercury Grand Marquis, that has 19,000 original miles on it, and is in the typical condition of a car with that mileage. If they told you it had 1,000 miles you'd believe it. That old line about the old lady only driving it on church on sunday... true with this one. And her house was 2 blocks from the church. She left it to the church and my grandad will be the guy overseeing what to do with it.

They asked all around at the church if anyone needed a car, that they could just give it to. Like someone down on their luck. Or if anyone even wants it. (but that would be to buy) No takers. I will have to pay for the car, but I may be able to get it pretty cheap. I normally try not to buy cars from the 90's, unless its just something real special. Which has resulted in me never buying a car from the 90's. Most people just view them as too old, and they want a bit more prestige than that.

So if you were actually interested in buying such a car, that was in the aforementioned condition, how much would you be willing to pay for it? $2,000? $3,000? $4,000? Its out of my area of expertise. I try to deal with 2005-2010 cars, most of the time with over 100k miles.
    WH

I'd say somewhere in the $3k range would be a great deal. They are durable and semi-comfy cars. Would be a nice daily beater or car you could enter in a wreck-em-up derby.
    Ford
    GM
    Toyota
    VAG

Comment

If you want to steal it 2k. If you don't wan't to be a dick about it 3k

Comment

I just picked up a similar car. One owner, garage kept 2001 Grand Marquis owned by a retired Ford engineer with 60k miles on it that hadn't been driven in 4 years. They could not sell it at any price so I got it for free. My buddy is towing it to me in the next few weeks.

I will give you a grand for the car if you can make a buck on it for that price.
        Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

Low-rider material perhaps?

Like the O.P. though, I have never owned a car from the 90's, or 80's for that matter. Split the difference and go $2500

Comment

Originally posted by The King View Post

I have never owned a car from the 90's, or 80's for that matter.
            Correct me if I am mistaken but I assumed you were in your mind 40's. Did you take the bus until recently?
            Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

Originally posted by svauto-erotic855 View Post
              Correct me if I am mistaken but I assumed you were in your mind 40's. Did you take the bus until recently?
              No shit, I always assumed he was older than me.

Comment

Originally posted by svauto-erotic855 View Post
                Originally posted by BradM View Post
                No shit, I always assumed he was older than me.
                I have owned vehicles from the 60's and early 70's, and from 2001 onward to 2017, but never any from the 80's or 90's.

Comment

Hard to say really. It has no real prestige, but I've never seen a super clean, low mile sedan go for less than $3k at auction. An 02 with 51K miles went through Tampa Manheim for $3100. Then one in California with a near perfect grade and 56K miles went for $2600.

Comment

So buy for $2k. I'll make that attempt.

Sell for...???

$4k?

Again I'd only be buying it for resale.
                    Last edited by Gasser64; 07-23-2017, 03:52 PM.
                    WH

Comment

Originally posted by Gasser64 View Post

Sell for...???

$4k?

I'd ask $6k for it, it's practically a brand new car.

Comment

Originally posted by JC316 View Post
                        Come down as far as $5k in negotiations to get it sold?
                        WH

Comment

Dont think you would get any buyers at 5-6 but at 3-4 you would so buying at 2 still makes some money.

Comment

Originally posted by Gasser64 View Post

Sell for...???

$4k?

I find Panther platform cars with low mileage on a regular basis. If you pay 2k for it you are a fool. If you sold the car you are talking about in the rust belt you could easily get 4k for it but down here you would be hard pressed to get 2.5k.

Originally posted by JC316 View Post
                            You would be shocked at what goes wrong with the Panthers from not being driven much. In all likelihood it will need work; an intake manifold, radiator, water pump, new tires, belt & tensioner, master cylinder and all of the coolant hoses will need to be replaced to make it a reliable daily driver. A fuel tank cleaning may also be needed.
                            Last edited by svauto-erotic855; 07-23-2017, 08:49 PM.

Comment

This will never sell at his asking price. Low mileage Panthers are not rare.

Comment

Working...
                              X