ElmFork Trap/Skeet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dee View Post
    A good portion of sporting clays shooters use semi auto loaders due to the softer recoil since a round of clays is 100. Skeet seems to be 75-25 split going to the O/U being more popular. In trap break opens dominate be it a single shot or an O/U for doubles.
    i feel im better with the O/U, the semi auto still has the kick but im working with some intertia weight options and its helping alot, im changing gas system springs to see what that does tomarrow.

this is definately a sport everyone should try one day.

Comment

Inertia weight's can help also stock weight's as well as the mercury type reducers in the stock. The most important thin is stock fitment to the shooter it can reduce felt recoil on some and help pick up some lost birds as well.
      "It's another burrito, it's a cold Lone Star in my hand!"

Comment

Buy a limbsaver if you care about recoil. Makes more of an impact than you think. I don't think mercury has enough of an advantage over plain lead weights or similar to justify the price. Most of all...buy what will make it fun or you.

Let's plan a dfwm day at elm fork!

Comment

Inertia weight's can help also stock weight's as well as the mercury type reducers in the stock. The most important thin is stock fitment to the shooter it can reduce felt recoil on some and help pick up some lost birds as well.
          stock fit is huge, the auto came with stock adjustment shims, and just in the house when i mounted the gun before and after was a huge change just looking down the rib.

Comment

All this "weight adjustments" y'all speak of, is that a SA thing? I have a mossburg pump and just point and shoot. I added a limbsaver pad and it has helped alot but after a couple rounds of skeet, my shoulder is cooked.

I'll get a semi-auto one day...

Comment

Originally posted by Ruffdaddy View Post
              Buy a limbsaver if you care about recoil. Makes more of an impact than you think. I don't think mercury has enough of an advantage over plain lead weights or similar to justify the price. Most of all...buy what will make it fun or you.

Let's plan a dfwm day at elm fork!
              Mercury style reducers help a good bit alone, I use the style that fit in the buttstock and will usually put a limbsaver or decelorator on at the same time. This setup usually works very well but is nowhere near as good as the hydraulic type you see on a lot of trap guns, those things work great.

Originally posted by franks View Post
              stock fit is huge, the auto came with stock adjustment shims, and just in the house when i mounted the gun before and after was a huge change just looking down the rib.
              Depending on build type and facial features sometimes an adjustable cheek piece is need. I had a Winchester 101 that was very natural pointing and shooting but after 150 or so shots my cheek was done.

Originally posted by GeorgeG. View Post
              All this "weight adjustments" y'all speak of, is that a SA thing? I have a mossburg pump and just point and shoot. I added a limbsaver pad and it has helped alot but after a couple rounds of skeet, my shoulder is cooked.

I'll get a semi-auto one day...
              Most weight stuff is for balance and recoil reduction to a certain extent. You can find weight systems for just about anything from replacement tube caps, clamp on the barrel type and even strips that stick to the barrel for a more flush look.

Comment

The weight is just that. It's putting weights of some sort in the stock to reduce recoil. Mercury tubes are also used, I guess the theory is to take advantage of both weight and fluid damping. However from everything I've read, just cramming lead shot (packaged of course) into the stock helps just as much. To my knowledge, any weight is inertial so I'm not sure what dee means by differentiating them.

Comment

I've used both lead and mercury types, I prefer the mercury since it weighs less which is nicer to carry around. Weights can vary from just for recoil some are forward of the fore-end for balance and smoothness in the shooters swing, those were the types I was refering too.

Comment

I've used both lead and mercury types, I prefer the mercury since it weighs less which is nicer to carry around. Weights can vary from just for recoil some are forward of the fore-end for balance and smoothness in the shooters swing, those were the types I was refering too.
                    Ahh I see what you mean. I was talking strictly from recoil reduction and not really thinking of balance weights. But I will agree that balance and feel mean more than a babied shoulder.

Comment

Any ideas on what weekend works for you guys?

Comment

let's get something going one weekend....shot some wobble and ata trap today..

a lot more fun than going to the pistol range imo

Comment

Originally posted by dsrtuckteezy View Post
                          let's get something going one weekend....shot some wobble and ata trap today..

a lot more fun than going to the pistol range imo
                          Much cheaper too I believe.

Comment

Anyone interested in busting some clays on the 23rd or 24th of March?

Comment

Working...
                            X