No announcement yet.

MLB changes intentional walk rule

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I also heard they want to start a runner on 2nd base in extra innings.
    Originally posted by Da Prez
    Fuck dfwstangs!! If Jose ain't running it, I won't even bother going back to it, just my two cents!!
    Originally posted by VETTKLR

Cliff Notes: I can beat the fuck out of a ZR1

Comment

Originally posted by Juiced4v View Post
      I also heard they want to start a runner on 2nd base in extra innings.
      California tie breaker!!
      "PSH!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by Fastback View Post
        This is a thing now. Millenials don't have patience to sit through a game so they are trying to speed them up.

NBA will consider shortening games due to millennial attention spans

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
        Actually, they have been trying to speed up baseball since its TV rating has been sliding since the mid 90s, and the NBA has also been losing ground to the NFL as well.

The NFL used to not schedule head-to-head games with World Series game days and timeslots but now they DGAF.

Comment

This is a thing now. Millenials don't have patience to sit through a game so they are trying to speed them up.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
          It doesn't help that the games take forever, and that they're boring as fuck to watch.

I enjoyed playing baseball in school. I absolutely can't fucking stand to sit by and watch a game I'm not playing in. It's boring to watch.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Magnus View Post
            It doesn't help that the games take forever, and that they're boring as fuck to watch.

I enjoyed playing baseball in school. I absolutely can't fucking stand to sit by and watch a game I'm not playing in. It's boring to watch.
            If MLB would lighten up on the suspensions and fines for fighting, beaning hitters, cleating fielders and plowing into catchers it'd make it more exciting. You can be suspended for too many hard slides. Yet if you hard slide into someone and they punch you in the mouth they get suspended for 8 games. Drill back to back hitters and you'll be ejected and probably suspended.

Comment

Quit fucking with the game.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean88gt View Post
                Quit fucking with the game.
                "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

They introduced this into our league for 14U (12/10...etc) and I think it's a good thing for kids to reduce their pitch counts. On the fence for HS/College and pro ball.
                  Originally posted by MR EDD
                  U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

Originally posted by ceyko View Post
                    They introduced this into our league for 14U (12/10...etc) and I think it's a good thing for kids to reduce their pitch counts. On the fence for HS/College and pro ball.
                    Where does your son play 14U? You're north of McKinney, right? My son's 13U team is playing all 14U this season in tournaments until they go to Atlanta in June.

Youth games have a time limit. That's why they have the speed up rule. If a kid is throwing 65 pitches in a game, throwing 4 more for an intentional walk won't affect the arm or pitch count at all. Heck, my son gets a ton of unintentional intentional walks as they'll throw him 4 straight curve balls in the dirt trying to get him to swing. That's far worse on the arm than 4 pitch outs to send him to first.

Comment

Originally posted by Magnus View Post

Try hockey. The best sport to watch as far as "sit there" sports. Motorsports are also a win.

Comment

Tennis went from fast to slow and lost popularity. They are now getting back to faster matches and it's becoming popular again. The NFL lost a ton of viewers last year for several reasons, one being all the damned commercial breaks, which slowed the game down. This isn't an attention span thing so much as a "I don't have 3-5 hours to waste thing".

Baseball is a very boring game to start with, very little action actually happens. It's 3 minutes of action and 3 hours of a pitcher eyeballing the dude on 1st base, throwing pitches that aren't close, and getting the catcher to cycle through his signals. Anything to speed the game up will increase viewership, thus keeping the game alive.

Comment

Originally posted by JC316 View Post
                          Baseball is a very boring game to start with, very little action actually happens. It's 3 minutes of action and 3 hours of a pitcher eyeballing the dude on 1st base, throwing pitches that aren't close, and getting the catcher to cycle through his signals. Anything to speed the game up will increase viewership, thus keeping the game alive.
                          Matter of opinion. Hitting a baseball is the most difficult thing to do in any sport. I enjoy the strategy, the many individual match ups that occur throughout a game, and simply watching the best in the world play the game. It's impressive to see a guy stand there on the mound and throw a baseball 95mph or more exactly where he wants it to go. It's even more impressive to see a guy stand there and hit that pitch out of the park. I enjoy watching the game at all levels for those reasons.

Comment

Baseball: Per the 2013 WSJ study, Baseball games feature 17 minutes and 58 seconds of action. Baseball games have been increasing in length (thanks in part to the eighteen annual 4-hour marathons between the glacial Boston Red Sox and equally glacial New York Yankees) over the years. But, the amount of action has stayed roughly the same. A 1952 TV broadcast showed about 13 minutes of action but just 9 minutes 45 seconds of commercials. The latest WSJ study found that fully 42 minutes and 41 seconds of between-inning inactivity would be purely commercial time on TV broadcasts. That means there’s nearly 5 times as many commercials now than 50 years ago. 2015: thanks to new pace of play rules, the average length of a baseball game dropped by 6 minutes from 2014.

Football: Per the WSJ 2010 study, NFL games feature about 11 minutes of action. The amount of action in football games has been roughly the same since the early 1900s. There was roughly 13 1/2 minutes of action in 1912, and slightly less in the 2010 study. Other studies have shown that football generally ranges between 12-17 minutes of action. Personally I tracked one quarter of an NFL playoff game a few years ago with these numbers: in 50 minutes of clock time we saw exactly 250 seconds of action (4 minutes, 10 seconds) accompanied by no less than 20 commercials. And this turned out to be a relatively “easy” quarter: one time out, one two-minute warning and two challenges/reviews. It could have been a lot worse. More recent studies have found that things are worsening for the NFL: WP’s Fred Bowen counted the ads in a 2014 NFL game and had seen an astounding 152 advertisements during the game. 152; that was more ads than plays from scrimmage. Update for 2015: the early returns on the first few weeks of the season show a huge up-tick in penalties, which have slowed the game by four minutes from 2014 and average times are now at 3hrs 10minutes for games.

Basketball: NBA games average 2 hours and 18 minutes in actual time. Working backwards (since the clock only runs when the ball is in play and we know there’s exactly 48 minutes of play time) we know that there’s 138-48 = 90 minutes of “down time” of some sort in a typical NBA game. Not all of that is commercial time but all of it is inaction. I cannot find any documentation of typical number of commercials so i’ve just split the difference between on-screen inaction and off-screen commercials in the table below. If you’re a big-time NBA watcher and feel this isn’t fair, please comment as such.

Hockey: The Livestrong piece below (side note: why is Livestrong doing “ball-in-play” studies on Hockey?) quotes average NHL games being 2hours and 19minutes in the 2003-4 season. Working backwards from this, you have three 20-minute periods and two 17 minute intermissions, which leaves 46 minutes of remaining idle time. Given that the idle times in Hockey are not nearly as long as those in basketball, I’m going to estimate that about 2/3rds of that 46minutes is commercials.

Soccer: Per the Soccerbythenumbers.com website 2011 study, between 62 and 65 minutes of ball-in-play action is seen on average in the major European pro leagues per game. For the table below i’ll use 64 minutes as an average. The duration of pro soccer games is relatively easy to calculate: they fit neatly into a 2 hour window by virtue of its 45minute halves, 15 minute break and an average of 3 minutes added-time on either side of the halves. 45+45+3+3+15 = 111 minutes of a 2 hour/120 minute time period. Thanks to a bit of fluff on either side of the game, you generally count a soccer broadcast to last 1 hour and 55 minutes. In the table below i’ve assumed that a huge portion of the intermission is commercial; in fact it is a lot less since most soccer broadcasts have a half-time show and highlights. So if anything, the # of commercials in soccer broadcasts is less than listed. Post 2014 World Cup Update: FIFA estimates that the group stage games averaged 57.6 minutes of action per game (if i’m reading their stat page correctly). I’ll use this as the number going forward, even though World Cup games might be a bit “slower” than your average pro soccer game due to the careful, tactical nature of most of the matches.
                            "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by juiceweezl View Post
                              Matter of opinion. Hitting a baseball is the most difficult thing to do in any sport. I enjoy the strategy, the many individual match ups that occur throughout a game, and simply watching the best in the world play the game. It's impressive to see a guy stand there on the mound and throw a baseball 95mph or more exactly where he wants it to go. It's even more impressive to see a guy stand there and hit that pitch out of the park. I enjoy watching the game at all levels for those reasons.

I don't know about the difficulty of hitting the ball, because there are plenty of difficult things in pro sports. Strategy = boring for most people. When you have instant gratification sports like tennis, basketball, or football, it makes baseball very boring to watch.

Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder View Post
                              Little more to it than that. Also from that WSJ report. Over 1/3 of the game is time between pitches, they need a damned shot clock.

"The almost 18-minute average included balls in play, runner advancement attempts on stolen bases, wild pitches, pitches (balls, strikes, fouls and balls hit into play), trotting batters (on home runs, walks and hit-by-pitches), pickoff throws and even one fake-pickoff throw. This may be generous. If we'd cut the action definition down to just the time when everyone on the field is running around looking for something to do (balls in play and runner advancement attempts), we'd be down to 5:47. ...

By far the most time-consuming period of inaction is the "time between pitches." This took up an average of 1:14:49. That's not all that far from half the WSJ analysis's average game time of 2:58."

Comment

Originally posted by JC316 View Post
                                I don't know about the difficulty of hitting the ball, because there are plenty of difficult things in pro sports. Strategy = boring for most people. When you have instant gratification sports like tennis, basketball, or football, it makes baseball very boring to watch.
                                This topic has been done on sports radio more than just about any other. Think about it. You have a round bat. There's a guy standing 60 feet from you throwing a small round ball to you. He doesn't have to throw it in the strike zone either. A 90mph fastball takes .4 seconds to reach the plate from release. It takes a hitter .25 seconds to see the ball and react. Then you have to actually swing (or not if bad pitch) and make solid contact (round ball round bat). Oh yea, remember there are 7 guys plus the pitcher also playing defense to keep your hit ball from becoming a hit.

There's no question it's the hardest thing to do in sports. It only gets more difficult the higher up you go. It's why a .300 hitter is a hall of famer. That means he failed 70% of the time. Heck, if any of you guys feel froggy, I'm sure Dave's kid would be happy to deal you a little high cheese. I know mine wouldn't have any problems winding up and letting a few loose either.

Oh, and they have a "shot clock." They have 20 seconds to deliver the ball to the plate with runners on base and 12 seconds when they are empty.

Comment

Working...
                                X