Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How bad will one broken exhaust bolt be.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How bad will one broken exhaust bolt be.

Trying to get all the busted bolts out of the exhaust manifolds on this 6.0 before I install it and welllllll 5 came out but one was broke in the block. It is the back passenger one. Think one will leak bad? I guess I could load it up and take it to a shop to drill and tap since it is not in the truck yet.........however. I tried welding a nut to it but blew through it and not sure I want to try again. Saw a guy weld a bolt to one once and haven't tried that yet. It is broke almost flush with the head. Damn GM 6.0 and their bolts.
    Last edited by kingjason; 07-14-2017, 11:41 AM.
    Whos your Daddy?

Take a 3/8 nut, set it over the top and weld the nut to the broken piece. It will come right out.. I do this 3-4 times a week at work on hemi engines.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackpony View Post
      Take a 3/8 nut, set it over the top and weld the nut to the broken piece. It will come right out.. I do this 3-4 times a week at work on hemi engines.
      I will go see if I have any 3/8 in nuts. Not sure what the first one was but it blew the side out of it. Amateur welder here. Just bought a new 220 multi-process and plasma.
      Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Dont even have to weld a nut on it if the manifold is off, just build it up until you can get sime vive grips on and turn jt out

Comment

That first nut blew the F up. I did a little practice welding after that. I will deal with it next week. One of my old Co-workers has been welding his entire life, I may see if he can come by and give me some tips. I blew a hole through some 1/8 inch but got better after that with a little practice. Been watching some nice youtube clips. I will be farming out the big welding stuff on my project until I get a little better.
          Last edited by kingjason; 07-14-2017, 11:42 AM.
          Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Originally posted by kingjason View Post
            I will go see if I have any 3/8 in nuts. Not sure what the first one was but it blew the side out of it. Amateur welder here. Just bought a new 220 multi-process and plasma.
            which one?
            "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

I bought the Northern Tool Clutch series and cart that hold both. Nice little rolling all in one set up. The welder is the 220si and the plasma is the 375i. I didn't want to drop too much coin as I haven't really decided if I am going to build to many more projects. What sucks is my master welder/inspector buddy moved that lived up the street from me. Oh and on a side note, Harbor Freights little folding welding table is pretty decent for 75.00.
              Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Working...
              X