Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Man from Houston area ordered to pay $65k in child support for kid that isnt his...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Man from Houston area ordered to pay $65k in child support for kid that isnt his...

A Texas court has ruled that a Houston man who is not the father must pay $65,000 in child support to the mother of a teenage girl he's only met once.

Gabriel Cornejo, of Cypress, Texas, a father-of-three who is also raising two of his brother's children, says he only found out his ex claimed he was the father of her 16-year-old girl, last year.

But even after a paternity test proved he wasn't the father, Cornejo is still being held liable for unpaid child support because a court says he did not contest the paternity suit when his former girlfriend first submitted it in 2003.

Cornejo, originally from Panama, insists he was never notified about his ex's claims at the time and is hoping to overturn the ruling when the case goes to court next month.
    'They say he should have fought back then and he failed to do so,' his lawyer Cheryl Coleman said. 'But how can you fight something you don't know anything about?'

If he fails to pay, he could land in jail.

'Don't stick your head in the sand,' the girl's mother's lawyer said. 'It won't go away and there can be consequences even if you don't do anything.'
    Gabriel Cornejo, a father-of-three who is also raising two of his brother's children, said he was alerted that he might have another child last year when a deputy showed up at his door .

Crazy...WTF Texas?

This is why it should be a law that in order to put the name of the father on a child's birth certificate, a DNA test is mandatory

There was a guy in TX about 20 years ago whos sorry ass wife told him that a 3 of his kids were not his while they were going through a divorce. He got a dna test done and found her claims to be true. He was jailed for not paying child support and lost at every level of appeal in state court. The final ruling from the state supreme court basically said that it was more important that the kids have financial support then it was for the man to keep his money.
    Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

Funny how all of these feminist and women's march goers spew their nonsensical bullshit until the going gets tough. Then they're right back to playing the innocent and helpless victim that is entitled to every dime a man makes.

Comment

Originally posted by davbrucas View Post
        Funny how all of these feminist and women's march goers spew their nonsensical bullshit until the going gets tough. Then they're right back to playing the innocent and helpless victim that is entitled to every dime a man makes.
        Under the law men are ATMs and unlike women men have ZERO reproductive rights.
        Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

Originally posted by svauto-erotic855 View Post
          Under the law men are ATMs and unlike women men have ZERO reproductive rights.
          Yup...this needs to change or repeal the 19th and let them go back to being men's servants.

Comment

This is crazy...Texas needs to change this crap.

At the crux of why Cornejo must pay up is Texas' family code, chapter 161, which states, even if you're not the biological father, you still owe child support that accrued before the DNA test proves you're not the father, Cornejo's lawyer Cheryl Coleman told Chron.com.

Comment

my fuel to never get married and keep my pullout game the strongest!!
              DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Comment

At that point I would just not pay it. They could sue or throw me in jail. I would win though.
                Originally posted by racrguy
                What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
                Originally posted by racrguy
                Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

Originally posted by HarrisonTX View Post
                  my fuel to never get married and keep my pullout game the strongest!!
                  the point of the article is he isnt the father, nor was he married, so...

Comment

Originally posted by davbrucas View Post
                    This is crazy...Texas needs to change this crap.

http://www.chron.com/news/houston-te...s-11305261.php
                    If what he is claiming is true - his ex and/or the State failed to properly serve him with citation in the prior case and he didn't know anything about it - his attorneys should be able to get that judgment set aside. The problem with that is it's a very common excuse for not answering a lawsuit, that in my experience, is rarely 100% accurate. I've had a couple cases where it was subsequently determined the deputy/process server served the wrong person unknowingly, but those are VERY few and far between. Usually, the correct person gets served and forgets about it or thinks they sent it to their attorney, but a mistake is made and an answer never gets filed. If an appeal is filed properly and timely, courts are usually sympathetic and will set aside the prior judgment, but in the latter situation it's a coin toss and depends on the judge.

I'm not a family law guru, but I know the overriding policy in the family code is to protect children, both physically/mentally and financially. In cases like this I realize it doesn't seem fair that the guy might have to pay for back support when the child isn't his. If it's determined he wasn't served and had no notice/knowledge about the whole thing until the deputy knocked on his door and his attorney properly appealed, it should get set aside; however, if he was served and/or received notice and didn't do anything, too bad, so sad.

Comment

The answer is: Killdozer

Comment

Originally posted by Gear_Jammer View Post
                        If it's determined he wasn't served and had no notice/knowledge about the whole thing until the deputy knocked on his door and his attorney properly appealed, it should get set aside; however, if he was served and/or received notice and didn't do anything, too bad, so sad.
                        The fuck is wrong with you? The kid aint his period. Responsibility abolished instantly...... Why the fuck is there no mention of chasing whoever the real dad is?

Comment

Yeah they'd have a sad day coming if they thought they'd ever see a dime from me. Identity change, and move to different state. Start fake new life. Fuck all that. Same thing with paying some x wife just to exist. I'd fucking NEVER pay.

5 years later I'd want to find them and gloat though. Do it ever so often then quickly disappear. haha
                          WH

Comment

Probably an undocumented worker so $75 a month based on reported wages?

Comment

One penny a month is way too much.
                              WH

Comment

Working...
                              X