• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to bend pipe, with sand!

Saved from Canada.

Some really cool old skool shit, IMHO.

Originally posted by Taya Kyle, American Gun
    There comes a time when honest debate, serious diplomatic efforts, and logical arguments have been exhausted and only men and women willing to take up arms against evil will suffice to save the freedom of a nation or continent.

That man has patience.

Comment

Hmm, $4 bag of play sand, or $20,000 mandrel bender...

Regardless of how hard it is, you have 5,000 tries before you break even. That's bad ass.
      "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
      "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

I didn't see it mentioned, so I think it should be thrown out there.

Make sure you have DRY sand.

Again, DRY sand. Like, throw it in the oven for a while kind of dry.

Moisture in the sand will expand and cause... problems.

Comment

Originally posted by Strychnine View Post

Yeah he mentioned it in step #8 at the bottom. I'm really interested in trying this. Except something tells me doing this with aluminum would be a hell of a lot more difficult.

Darren - thanks for making this post. This is a trick I will without question be using in the future.
          Last edited by CJ; 02-28-2011, 11:16 AM.
          "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
          "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Originally posted by Strychnine View Post

Like anyone here is going to try this.......................

Well, except maybe CJ.

Comment

Originally posted by 5.0_CJ View Post
              Yeah he mentioned it in step #8 at the bottom. I'm really interested in trying this. Except something tells me doing this with aluminum would be a hell of a lot more difficult.

Darren - thanks for making this post. This is a trick I will without question be using in the future.

I've never done anything with aluminum tubing as large as this, but I was shown this technique a long time ago on small aluminum tubing for model airplane fuel lines. It worked great.

Comment

Originally posted by 03trubluGT View Post
                Like anyone here is going to try this.......................

Well, except maybe CJ.
                Sheeeeitt.... He's not the only one.

Comment

i would probably try it, but id be pretty annoyed that without a lot of practice the results would be less than repeatable

would work well for more complex bends, where an actual 'pipe bender' cant do

basically all im building are some pipe bumpers for a 4x4

Comment

i've seen this done before! it's an old old school trick

Comment

I've always had good luck doing this using ash tray sand. it's pretty finely ground up and dry.

Comment

This is just the way it used to be done. Sort of like the guys that make a MIG fighter with a roll of aluminum sheet metal, and a hammer & dolly.
                        Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

Its cool for exhaust or to play with, but don't do it on anything structural (like a roll cage)

It weakens the metal, and will fold easily in the bend.

So, don't do what the guys Mach1 bought his 240 from and use it on the a pillar bars, its a no-no.
                          "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Working...
                          X