Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not the best picture since it doesn't show much of the bench, But eh...

Comment

I used the lower of a big hutch, screwed the top to the base and mounted my vice to it. works out great, and tons of storage in the cabinets below.

my old man has a badass bench layout, compound miter that folds down, small table saw that raises up, drill press that rotates out of the way... sickness!

Comment

Originally posted by lo3oz View Post
        I used the lower of a big hutch, screwed the top to the base and mounted my vice to it. works out great, and tons of storage in the cabinets below.

my old man has a badass bench layout, compound miter that folds down, small table saw that raises up, drill press that rotates out of the way... sickness!

Get some pics when you can! I have been wanting to do something like that for a long time but cant figure out any clean way of doing it.

Comment

Harrison, Great idea for a thread - I'll stick this one.

Right idea on the rolling table, but wrong materials for the legs imho. My work table is about 4' square and similar in height. The major difference is that I use 2X2 square tube for legs, I used .062, but would prefer 1/8 or maybe even 1/4, depending on how often you'd plan on moving it. If you ever have to hammer on something on that table, you'll see what I'm talking about.

You can't see in the pic, but I'd be adding at least one support piece, maybe two, under the table top (If there isn't one).

For anyone else who didn't know - you can get scrap steel from any metal supplier off of their drop rack. They sell it by the pound and most of the time there's NOTHING wrong with it. Also, if possible, get 1018 for the table top. It won't have black mill scale on it and is nearly perfectly flat.

CJ, Your work area is badass!! Where's the TV, I knwo there's one in there somewhere!

Comment

Originally posted by Lason View Post
            Get some pics when you can! I have been wanting to do something like that for a long time but cant figure out any clean way of doing it.
            i know he sent me some.. let me see what i can find.

Comment

Oh, and I moved it to the fab forum in case you guys lost it.

Comment

I built one about 10 years ago that is still going strong today.

I used 4x4 legs, bolted together with 2x6 perimeter supports and for the top, I used a solid core wood door I got from a demo job. It weighs a fuggin' ton.

Then I put a shelf down low for crates and other storage for tools...it's been used hard for those 10 years too. I need to move it out to our shop but haven't cleared an area for it.

Most doors are 3'x7', this door was a custom 3' x 8' and it used to have an over hang that I ended up cutting off because the damn thing weighed too much!

www.aggie97.com/bench.JPG

Comment

made this about a year ago, dual purpose, store my crf under it and work on it. it now has a big vice and other stuff on it, but i can't imagine not having it!

Comment

stuff for the little cars...

rear end fixture
                    pinto gt with wood trim

Comment

Here mine. 38" x 48" with a 1 1/4" steel top. Legs are 3x3" angle with 600 lb castors... Table weighs about 800lbs... Its fun to move around... I also mounted my tubing bender to it before it had a stand by itself. Love being able to beat the shit out of stuff on it and it absorbs the impact. Also have a 36" x 48" against the wall out of wood with a 1/8" steel section on top

Comment

Matt, what caster are those? Do they roll good? My $2 ones from HF suck balls.
                        DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Comment

Originally posted by HarrisonTX View Post
                          I got them from a caster supply company in Fort Worth. They roll good except the weight makes it not so easy to push the table. They were $80-90 for all 4 of them. Same wheels at Grainger etc would cost over $200-250

Comment

Originally posted by HarrisonTX View Post
                            If you need some casters I can give you a set of 4. If your interested I can get you a pic of them. Not the best but decent.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt View Post
                              Here mine. 38" x 48" with a 1 1/4" steel top. Legs are 3x3" angle with 600 lb castors... Table weighs about 800lbs... Its fun to move around... I also mounted my tubing bender to it before it had a stand by itself. Love being able to beat the shit out of stuff on it and it absorbs the impact. Also have a 36" x 48" against the wall out of wood with a 1/8" steel section on top

Lets go get that heavy bitch and make some room in your shop and leave it there, then I can take the old one. Oh wait, I dont have enough room at shop neither.

Comment

All 4"x4" with 3/4" mdf top with another 1/8" fiberboard sheet on top of that. I am thinking of getting rid of it and doing another that is purpose built to fit the lower Craftsman boxes.
                                Fuck you. We're going to Costco.

Comment

Working...
                                X