Professor quits because of campus carry law

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Professor quits because of campus carry law

Awww...poor guy is a little concerned. Professor Hamermesh, here's a hint...disgruntled students with mental health issues ALREADY take guns to school. Or don't you keep up with current events?

On the plus side, one less liberal professor teaching in our schools.
    Liberal Arts at UT offers over 40 majors and many top-ranked graduate programs in the social sciences and humanities taught by 750 faculty.

A professor at the University of Texas reportedly won’t return to teach next fall because of his fears over the state’s campus carry law – which makes it legal for some residents to carry concealed firearms into college classrooms.

The Austin American-Statesman reports Professor Emeritus Daniel S. Hamermesh has taught Introductory Microeconomics at the university for more than 20 years. He told the newspaper he would feel more comfortable if the class size was smaller, but because it was so large he would be unable to tell if a certain student was disgruntled or had mental health issues.

"With a huge group of students my perception is that the risk that a disgruntled student might bring a gun into the classroom and start shooting at me has been substantially enhanced by the concealed-carry law," he wrote in a letter to the Daily Texan, the school’s student newspaper.

"Out of self-protection I have chosen to spend part of next Fall at the University of Sydney, where, among other things, this risk seems lower."

Hamermesh is believed to be the first teacher to leave the school over the law. Other teachers have threatened to leave, but have not followed through as of yet. He told the American-Statesman he doesn’t believe teachers will leave in droves, but added the new law doesn’t make Texas an attractive school to prospective teachers.

“This is the flagship school of Texas, but it affects hiring across the state,” Hamermesh said. “It’s recruitment that’s the issue.”

The Houston Chronicle reports the new campus carry law gives school officials leeway to determine if some parts of campus should be deemed gun-free zones. Schools across the state are debating where firearms should be allowed, the newspaper reports.

The American-Statesman reports the university has hosted two community forums on the matter of campus carry and is working on how to implement the new law, which goes into effect on Aug. 1.

According to the newspaper, the law allows schools to set its own limitations, but cannot ban firearms from campus altogether. The University of Texas created a 19-member board that will recommend policies to the school’s System of Board Regents in December.
    "Self-government won't work without self-discipline." - Paul Harvey

what a tard

Comment

Why do these idiots not understand that if a student has a CHL and is carrying, that student is more than likely not the threat?
      G'Day Mate

Comment

Originally posted by Grimpala View Post
        Why do these idiots not understand that if a student has a CHL and is carrying, that student is more than likely not the threat?
        Because....

Never mind I can't think of a logical argument.

Comment

Originally posted by cool cat View Post
          Because....

Never mind I can't think of a logical argument.
          I can think of LOTS of logical arguments, and that's the problem. Somewhere, somehow, a LOT of people have crossed the wires located in their "criminals doing criminal stuff don't care about gun laws" fuse box.
          Originally posted by PGreenCobra
          I can't get over the fact that you get to go live the rest of your life, knowing that someone made a Halloween costume out of you. LMAO!!
          Originally posted by Trip McNeely
          Originally posted by dsrtuckteezy
          dont downshift!!
          Go do a whooly in front of a Peterbilt.

Comment

Originally posted by Grimpala View Post
            Well, it's hard to tell at a glance if a person that has a gun also has a CHL.

But the reality is, a person with a CHL has (some) training and likely intends to be a hero in a gunfire scenario.
            When the government pays, the government controls.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by 46Tbird View Post
                Well, it's hard to tell at a glance if a person that has a gun also has a CHL.

But the reality is, a person with a CHL has (some) training and likely intends to be a hero in a gunfire scenario.

I would call that entirely accurate.
                "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Does hero mean not huddle into a corner to become one large solid target? Sounds like a hero is smart.
                  sigpic

Comment

I hope he gets killed in a mass shooting wishing that someone other than the shooter had a gun.
                    Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

Working...
                    X