202 veterans headstones stolen; guilty plea expected

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 202 veterans headstones stolen; guilty plea expected

A cemetery worker accused of stealing hundreds of grave markers for years from the Rhode Island Veterans Memorial Cemetery has agreed to plead guilty, according to court records.

Kevin Maynard, 59, will be arraigned in federal court July 13 on one count of theft of government property for stealing at least 150 veteran headstones to re-tile floors on his property, the papers filed in U.S. District Court in Rhode Island say.

Maynard has taken the plea agreement in exchange for a sentencing recommendation of one year's probation and 500 hours of community service, according to Rhode Island district court documents filed June 30.

Maynard had been taking "a few headstones at a time over several years" that were already worn or needed to be replaced to his alleged significant other's home in Charlestown, Rhode Island, to remodel a carport and a foundation for a shed, Michael Jolin, spokesman for the state Department of Human Services, told Military Times on Tuesday.

Jolin says that 202 headstones have been recovered.

Maynard, who has since resigned, had been a state employee with the cemetery since 2006, Jolin said. Officials suspect Maynard had been taking the headstones — set to be picked up by the Veterans Affairs Department to be destroyed — from a secured area on cemetery grounds since 2009.

Jolin said the VA supplies the grave markers, worth about $600 each, free to the cemetery.

"Now we do a regular inventory and accounting of how many headstones we have, and how many we're sending out to be destroyed," Jolin said.

Rhode Island state police and the VA Inspector General's office began an investigation in April after another employee reported Maynard to cemetery officials.

Jolin said families have not contacted cemetery officials about the incident, and believes "people were appreciative of the steps the cemetery took to resolve the theft and to institute new measures."

While headstone removal of this nature is uncommon, cemeteries that hold veterans' remains have reported thefts of brass plating on grave markers.

Cemeteries such as St. Joseph's Cemetery, Rhode Island; Breidablik Community Evergreen Cemetery, Washington; New Hope and Rockfield cemeteries in Texas; and Lake View Cemetery in New York in the last five years have reported desecration of veteran graves; dozens of individuals involved in these thefts — who intended to sell the brass for scrap metal — have been arrested.

Jolin said he is unaware how many headstones regularly need to be replaced at the Rhode Island Veterans Memorial Cemetery or how many have been sent to the VA for destruction.

Maynard and his attorney did not respond to requests for comment.

Kevin Maynard, 59, will be arraigned in federal court on one count of theft of government property on July 13 for stealing 200 veteran headstones to re-tile floors on his property.
    I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

That's a bullshit plea deal.

Comment

It really is. He should be charged $600 per headstone plus the costs associated with retiring them properly and 5,000 hours cleaning headstones in a vet cemetary

Comment

I guess I really dont understand what the big issue is, since they were to be destroyed?
        "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder View Post
          I guess I really dont understand what the big issue is, since they were to be destroyed?
          He was saving them money

Comment

because government
            http://www.truthcontest.com/entries/...iversal-truth/

Comment

He took taxpayer funded property to tile his kitchen and put a floor in his shed to enrich himself. Or, you could say he took headstones from the deceased to enrich himself.

Comment

If they were going to be auctioned off, then yes he was stealing. If we were paying to dispose of them, then he was doing us a favor. Misleading headline is misleading. You can't steal from the dead.
                ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Why would tombstones needs to be removed or destroyed in the first place... did the dead guy suddenly come back to life and say "I don't need this grave site or marker stone any more, I feel fine..."

mardyn

Comment

Originally posted by Forever_frost View Post
                    A cemetery worker accused of stealing hundreds of grave markers for years from the Rhode Island Veterans Memorial Cemetery has agreed to plead guilty, according to court records.

Kevin Maynard, 59, will be arraigned in federal court July 13 on one count of theft of government property for stealing at least 150 veteran headstones to re-tile floors on his property, the papers filed in U.S. District Court in Rhode Island say.

Maynard has taken the plea agreement in exchange for a sentencing recommendation of one year's probation and 500 hours of community service, according to Rhode Island district court documents filed June 30.

Maynard had been taking "a few headstones at a time over several years" that were already worn or needed to be replaced to his alleged significant other's home in Charlestown, Rhode Island, to remodel a carport and a foundation for a shed, Michael Jolin, spokesman for the state Department of Human Services, told Military Times on Tuesday.

Jolin says that 202 headstones have been recovered.

Maynard, who has since resigned, had been a state employee with the cemetery since 2006, Jolin said. Officials suspect Maynard had been taking the headstones — set to be picked up by the Veterans Affairs Department to be destroyed — from a secured area on cemetery grounds since 2009.

Jolin said the VA supplies the grave markers, worth about $600 each, free to the cemetery.

"Now we do a regular inventory and accounting of how many headstones we have, and how many we're sending out to be destroyed," Jolin said.

Rhode Island state police and the VA Inspector General's office began an investigation in April after another employee reported Maynard to cemetery officials.

Jolin said families have not contacted cemetery officials about the incident, and believes "people were appreciative of the steps the cemetery took to resolve the theft and to institute new measures."

While headstone removal of this nature is uncommon, cemeteries that hold veterans' remains have reported thefts of brass plating on grave markers.

Cemeteries such as St. Joseph's Cemetery, Rhode Island; Breidablik Community Evergreen Cemetery, Washington; New Hope and Rockfield cemeteries in Texas; and Lake View Cemetery in New York in the last five years have reported desecration of veteran graves; dozens of individuals involved in these thefts — who intended to sell the brass for scrap metal — have been arrested.

Jolin said he is unaware how many headstones regularly need to be replaced at the Rhode Island Veterans Memorial Cemetery or how many have been sent to the VA for destruction.

Maynard and his attorney did not respond to requests for comment.

http://www.militarytimes.com/story/m...plea/29818467/
                    He took trash home.
                    there. that's much better.
                    "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

He took taxpayer funded property to tile his kitchen and put a floor in his shed to enrich himself. Or, you could say he took headstones from the deceased to enrich himself.
                      It says they were valued at $600 each, but they were free to the cemetery. I bet they were donated and the only true loss is the persons labor who made them.

I would rather see them be put to use than destroyed.

320rwhp. 7.67 @ 90mph 1.7 60'

DD: 2004 GMC Sierra VHO 6.0 LQ9 324whp 350wtrq

Comment

veterans really are kind of giving themselves a bad rap lately for getting so pissed off at the most mundane things. They are several legitimate things to complain and be concerned about, but this is very, very far from being one of them.

I think things like this help us identify the veterans who truly need help.
                        sigpic

Comment

The VA "supplies" them for free to the cemetery. I can almost promise you that your tax dollars are what the VA uses to buy them and then distribute them to the cemeteries.

It says that some were "worn" or needed to be replaced, but the part about tracking how many they are disposing of is a result of this problem.

Instead of blaming the Veterans who care about these things - why not blame the douches that do stupid things? I guess it's no big deal if everyone just steals all the worn out head stones in all cemeteries.
                          Originally posted by MR EDD
                          U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

I don't consider people taking things from a landfill to be a thief.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ceyko View Post
                              The VA "supplies" them for free to the cemetery. I can almost promise you that your tax dollars are what the VA uses to buy them and then distribute them to the cemeteries.

It says that some were "worn" or needed to be replaced, but the part about tracking how many they are disposing of is a result of this problem.

Instead of blaming the Veterans who care about these things - why not blame the douches that do stupid things? I guess it's no big deal if everyone just steals all the worn out head stones in all cemeteries.
                              If he was ordering new ones when they didnt need them, then sure, stone this dude.

If the story is as read, and they get replaced after a set amount of time due to fading/cracking/chipping/whatever, then he was just disposing of old trash. It's not like this dude was pulling up headstones and taking them home, leaving the graves unmarked.

Comment

Working...
                              X