US Paid $5 Billion & Released 5 Taliban Prisoners For Deserter Bergdahl

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by helosailor View Post
    Fuck that judge. This is bullshit, and a miscarriage of justice. All of what he is getting should have come at the end of 20+ years in prison.
    x2

Get ready for a Twitter tirade from Trump!

Comment

if this had happened in 69' his ass would have never seen daylight without bars . makes me absolutely sick that liberal obama bullshit has even infected the army .

Comment

disgusting

Comment

Not surprising.

Comment

Originally posted by bubbaearl View Post
            if this had happened in 69' his ass would have never seen daylight without bars . makes me absolutely sick that liberal obama bullshit has even infected the army .
            Agreed...

Everyone needs to realize that the following statement is coming from a Veteran:

For some time now, I can no longer (in good conscience) recommend the Armed Forces as a viable training or career choice for young people.

... and it kills me to say it.

I've heard this same sentiment from 90% of the vets that have served with me as well as others I have met from all 4 branches.

Just too much stupid bullshit taking away training and resources off of what our men and women in the armed forces should be focusing on, and its going to lead to very bad things in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by Gargamel View Post
              Agreed...

Everyone needs to realize that the following statement is coming from a Veteran:

For some time now, I can no longer (in good conscience) recommend the Armed Forces as a viable training or career choice for young people.

... and it kills me to say it.

I've heard this same sentiment from 90% of the vets that have served with me as well as others I have met from all 4 branches.

Just too much stupid bullshit taking away training and resources off of what our men and women in the armed forces should be focusing on, and its going to lead to very bad things in the future.

this

Comment

It should make y'all happy to know he is also going to appeal the dishonorable discharge.

Comment

Originally posted by svauto-erotic855 View Post
                  He ain't far away. You may want to consider killing him.
                  Originally posted by Forever_frost View Post
                  It would be a violation. Unless he is sentenced to such a fate and I am authorized to perform it, my hands are tied. That oath I took keeps me from enacting punishment unless it is warranted and ordered to legally, by a court or in his case, court martial.
                  All that is needed for evil to prevail is for good men to sit by and do nothing about the injustices that surround them.
                  Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

he outcome of the court-martial must be approved by a senior military official known as a convening authority, who oversees the court process. The convening authority, Army Gen. Robert Abrams, has the power to reduce the judge’s penalty or disapprove the findings. But convening authorities “almost never” disapprove of the results of a court-martial, said Eric Carpenter, a former Army prosecutor and defense attorney who teaches law at Florida International University.

The punitive discharge triggers an automatic appellate court review for Bergdahl’s case. He will not be discharged from duty until the U.S. Army Court of Criminal Appeals completes its review, which is not expected to begin for several months. Fidell said Bergdahl would likely remain in the Army on leave until that time.

The attorney vowed Friday that he would seek to have Bergdahl’s conviction thrown out, citing “reprehensible” interference in the case by President Donald Trump, who made the soldier a repeated theme in his presidential campaign, drawing cheers from rally crowds as he denounced Bergdahl as a “dirty, rotten traitor” who “should be shot” or returned to the Taliban.

President Trump’s unprincipled effort to stoke a lynch-mob atmosphere while seeking our nation’s highest office has cast a dark cloud over the case,” Fidell said. “Every American should be offended by his assault on the fair administration of justice and disdain for constitutional rights.”

The president decried Nance’s decision Friday within two hours of the sentencing hearing’s conclusion.

“The decision on Sgt. Bergdahl is a complete and total disgrace to our country and to our military,” Trump tweeted.

Fidell charged Trump’s scorn toward Bergdahl was directed at former President Barack Obama, whose administration in May 2014 orchestrated the exchange of five Taliban commanders held at the detention facility at Guantanamo Bay in Cuba for Bergdahl’s release.

The controversial deal and Obama’s Rose Garden announcement of Bergdahl’s return drew the immediate ire of congressional Republicans, launching a political debate around the soldier who the military already knew had walked away from his base without permission.

From the witness stand Tuesday, Bergdahl called his desertion a “horrible mistake,” delivering an at-times tearful apology to his platoon-mates and others sent searching for him.

Bergdahl said he left his post in an attempt to walk to a forward operating base some 20 miles away to alert military brass of problems he perceived within his unit.

“I was trying to help and knowing I did not breaks my heart,” he said.

In 2015, Lt. Gen. Kenneth Dahl, who conducted the Army’s investigation into Bergdahl’s disappearance, testified he found the soldier “unrealistically idealistic” and recommended he face no jail time.

Bergdahl washed out of Coast Guard basic training in 2006, two years before he enlisted in the Army, after suffering a stress-induced anxiety attack. An Army doctor later diagnosed Bergdahl with schizotypal personality disorder, a schizophrenia-like condition characterized by occasionally psychotic episodes and difficult connecting with other humans.

Nonetheless, the doctors concluded Bergdahl “was able to appreciate the nature and quality and wrongfulness of his conduct,” when he deserted.

Bergdahl detailed the physical and mental abuses he suffered for five years at the hands of the Haqqanis, including beatings with copper wires, burns to his feet and regular subjection to beheading videos.

He described the near-constant dysentery that he experienced and his struggle to keep from defecating at certain times, knowing his captors would beat him if forced to clean up.

After he managed once to escape for some eight days about a year into his captivity, the Haqqanis locked him in a small cage for the final four years that they held him, leaving him isolated except to occasionally force him to watch graphic Taliban propaganda videos, Bergdahl said.

“I have suffered because of my bad choices,” he said.

Prosecutors argued others suffered too because of Bergdahl’s choice.

Two servicemembers wounded on missions to find Bergdahl testified they were left permanently injured.

The wife of a third servicemember severely wounded looking for Bergdahl, retired Master Sgt. Mark Allen, testified that her husband was left paralyzed, unable to communicate and in constant pain since he was shot through the head. Shannon Allen told Nance this week that her husband has had at least a dozen surgeries, including the removal of portions of his brain since he was shot about a week after Bergahl disappeared.

Her husband’s condition, she said, has made her more caretaker than wife.

“We can’t even hold hands anymore unless I pry open his hand and place mine in there,” she said Monday from the witness stand, fighting back tears. “It doesn’t mean I love him any less.”

Fidell said Thursday that Bergdahl was thankful for all the servicemembers who risked their lives to attempt to find him before the Taliban could smuggle him into Pakistan.

“Sgt. Bergdahl is grateful to everyone who searched for him in 2009, especially those who heroically sustained injuries,” he said.

The attorney did not indicate what Bergdahl’s next step would be.

The soldier has been offered a job as a caretaker at an animal shelter in San Antonio, Texas, an unnamed woman testified Wednesday. Bergdahl had been stationed at Joint Base San Antonio since his release.

The woman said Bergdahl has shown a special connection to animals, especially feral cats, while working at the shelter. She said he would be welcomed to work their regardless of the outcome of his court-martial.

“Animals that are usually scared and avoid people were coming up and surrounding him,” the woman said, calling him “the cat whisperer.”

Army Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl, the former Taliban captive who pleaded guilty last month to deserting his combat post in Afghanistan and endangering his fellow troops, will not serve prison time, a military judge ruled Friday.
                    I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Comment

That article bashing trump in the name of constitutional rights is pure leftist bullshit. No one in the military has constitutional rights. They have the ucmj. And the ucmj punishment for bergdahls act is death. You defend uphold the constitution in the military.

Comment

Originally posted by TX_92_Notch View Post
                        Get ready for a Twitter tirade from Trump!
                        Hopefully it will end well. Maybe this will draw his attention to it, and he will restructure and rebuild the military the way its supposed to be. Sometimes very negative instances will cause reform. And we've got the right potus right now, for that to happen.
                        WH

Comment

Yeah the veteran community as a whole seems pretty damned pissed off and I'm on that boat as well.

The punishment is completely wrong.
                          Originally posted by MR EDD
                          U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

he will appeal and they will likely drop it to other than or bcd . obama got rid of all the true patriots and replaced them with safe space pussies .

Comment

Originally posted by bubbaearl View Post
                              he will appeal and they will likely drop it to other than or bcd . obama got rid of all the true patriots and replaced them with safe space pussies .
                              There's an auto appeal and he's on leave while it happens. The Army, it seems, takes months to look at this kind of appeal
                              I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Comment

This piece of trash traitor is going to be looking over his shoulder for the rest of his life hoping a pissed off veteran doesn't handle business the way the UCMJ should have. If it happens I will applaud.

Comment

Working...
                                X