Rangers 2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rangers 2017

Today is the last day of the winter meetings and so far the Rangers haven't really done anything. Moreland signed a one year deal with the Red Sox and Desmond just signed with the Rockies.

Encarnacion keeps coming up with the Rangers and Bautista is still out there. I wouldn't mind the first one.

Oh we also signed Gomez to a 1 year deal yesterday so at least one hole was filled. He's probably the center fielder next season unless something happens today. Or if DeShields somehow beats him out for it.

With Moreland gone and no real first basemen on the roster it might be time for Gallo to finally be a full time major leaguer. Or if Choo has regressed defensively enough he might be it.

Comment

And still no solution for the pitching rotation. Rangers just called me about season tickets too. I didn't answer. No pitchers, no care. I'm sure I will do at least a 10 game plan later since my wife and kids look forward to it so much. I'm sick of Daniels disregard for quality pitchers.

And just watch what I predicted now that Moreland will play daily.

Let's hope Yu has a bounce back healthy season or this one will end tragically too. Pinning playoff wins on a healthy Yu doesn't seem like a wise plan to me.

Comment

But we picked up Andrew Cashner! Basically an older and slightly less fragile right handed version of Holland. I guess that's what $10 million a year gets you these days.

Desmond got 5 years for $70 million btw, assuming he passes their physical and he cost Colorado their 11th draft pick.

Comment

I think we'll look to resign Colby Lewis and then maybe try to sign Ecanarcion. Depends on what his value is which has gone down in recent weeks.
          Los Angeles Rams 11-5
          Last Game - Loss vs. San Fransisco
          Up Next - vs. Atlanta

2017 NFC West Division Champions

Comment

I'm hoping that the Middlebrooks minor league deal pans out. He broke into the big leagues in a big way with the Red Sox, but has been wildly inconsistent since his rookie year. Plagued by injury and unable to find that magic he had in the beginning. His dad was my Athletic Director in high school and I remember playing video games with Will. I'm hoping that being a little closer to home might help him come back around and be the ball player he was that first year.
            Originally posted by Leah
            Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.

Comment

Originally posted by black2002ls View Post
              I'm hoping that the Middlebrooks minor league deal pans out. He broke into the big leagues in a big way with the Red Sox, but has been wildly inconsistent since his rookie year. Plagued by injury and unable to find that magic he had in the beginning. His dad was my Athletic Director in high school and I remember playing video games with Will. I'm hoping that being a little closer to home might help him come back around and be the ball player he was that first year.
              He was granted free agency while under his rookie deal, that's usually not a good sign. One great thing about the Rangers though is how closely they work with TMI Sports Medicine, possibly the best sports rehab facility there is.

Comment

Good news! Josh Hamilton just signed a minor league deal.

The Rangers have announced that OF Josh Hamilton and RHP Dillon Gee have been signed to minor league deals

He's going to try out at 1st. We also signed Dillon Gee.

Comment

If Hamilton came back strong like he did, Middlebrooks could too. The Rangers have a great program for developing hitters/fielders, pitchers not so much.

Did we get any starting arms Daniel's? Still gotta overcome that hurdle.

Comment

Originally posted by AnthonyS View Post
                    If Hamilton came back strong like he did, Middlebrooks could too. The Rangers have a great program for developing hitters/fielders, pitchers not so much.

If you count Andrew Cashner and Dillon Gee. They have some younger talent under contract that'll be trying out but no big name pitching free agents. I mean we do have Darvish for one more season to go along with Hamels, Perez and Griffin.

That and Nick Martinez will try again, Mendez will be there, Chi Chi will get another shot and I'd imagine Barnette and Claudio will try out as starters. Jason Hammel and Matt Latos are still available and apparently the A's are still shopping Sonny Gray. There is still hope.

Comment

Originally posted by AnthonyS View Post

If Will (Middlebrooks) xan get back to his rookie form he will be a great addition. Hopefully our AAA coaches and him being closer to home will help him regain that spark!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
                      Originally posted by Leah
                      Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.

Comment

Originally posted by BP View Post
                        If you count Andrew Cashner and Dillon Gee. They have some younger talent under contract that'll be trying out but no big name pitching free agents. I mean we do have Darvish for one more season to go along with Hamels, Perez and Griffin.

That and Nick Martinez will try again, Mendez will be there, Chi Chi will get another shot and I'd imagine Barnette and Claudio will try out as starters. Jason Hammel and Matt Latos are still available and apparently the A's are still shopping Sonny Gray. There is still hope.
                        That's who we have but counting on Darvish has been our downfall for the past 4 seasons..... he is pretty unreliable and has yet to prove he can be there for the playoffs in any meaningful capacity.

The Rangers keep winning the division but not having the pitching needed to win in the playoffs. Sure if Hamels and Darvish both miracled into their best form for the playoffs, the Rangers have a chance. If is probably about a 10% chance at best given past history. I'd feel a lot better about the Rangers with some additional SP strength.

Comment

It's a walk year for Darvish, he's going to be motivated to be the best pitcher he can possibly be. I'm not saying he hasn't been a fierce competitor when healthy but winning 18 games with 250 strikeouts this year will get him $125 million from someone over 5 years. Probably even more since it's a pretty thin free agent class next year regarding pitchers.

Comment

I have a proposition that maybe you'll not like, but I've floated this around.

If we think that Darvish will have a year like he did prior to his injury. If he will command a contract of $20-25 Million, then we might want to look for a replacement.

One replacement, Jose Quintana from the White Sox. Problem, he's the only pitcher they have left. So getting him will require giving up some pieces. Like Profar, Gallo, or even Odor if we keep Profar out of the trade.

Quintana is under contract for the next 4 years with a cap hit not more than $10 Million a year. We could trade for him this season. Have him combined with Darvish and Hamels who have a 3.5 ERA. Then after this year we can have Darvish walk and we'll have Quintana.

If it meant losing Odor, it's a tough pill to swallow. However if we think Profar can get the job done at 2nd then why not? With Gomez, Beltre, Lucroy, Napoli, Andurs, Marzara, and Choo (If he can stay healthy), we can still score runs.

Thoughts?
                            Los Angeles Rams 11-5
                            Last Game - Loss vs. San Fransisco
                            Up Next - vs. Atlanta

2017 NFC West Division Champions

Comment

I think about the only player we'd move Odor for is Chris Archer. I do like Quintana but I can't see them trading him for position players. Sure if we blew them away with Gallo and Odor but for that we'd better get more than just one starter.

Keep in mind that Perez is only 25 years old and he had some injury setbacks. He's talented and is ready to make an impact. That and Yohander Mendez is a very highly rated prospect, he could be a starter this year at some point.

Losing Darvish won't be the end of the world, at least we'll get a draft pick for him.

Comment

Working...
                              X