Where is a good place to hike?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where is a good place to hike?

I'm thinking of taking the kids hiking over Spring Break. We've never been hiking so I'm looking for a very beginner trail but would also like it to have some good scenery.

Are there any good websites that will show me trails, things to do, difficulty levels, etc.?

Enchanted Rock is awesome for the kids. It gets very busy on the weekends so try and go during the week. Other great places locally Mineral Wells State Park and Tyler State Park.

Comment

Texas State Parks.. Most of them have trails, some better than other though, of course.. Hopefully Jose will chime in. He does a lot of hiking and biking at state parks around the area and will be able to give some advice as to the best parks for what you want.

Comment

Eisenhower State Park at Lake Texoma has some nice finished trails. Kid friendly, I have led several cub scout hikes there.

Comment

Dinosaur Valley State Park in Glenn Rose. Lots of stuff to do there besides just hiking if the kids are into dinosaurs.
          I don't like Republicans, but I really FUCKING hate Democrats.

Sex with an Asian woman is great, but 30 minutes later you're horny again.

Comment

Originally posted by 95DRGT View Post
            Enchanted Rock is awesome for the kids. It gets very busy on the weekends so try and go during the week. Other great places locally Mineral Wells State Park and Tyler State Park.
            I'd second this and if you need more Pedernales Falls is about an hour away. You also wouldn't be too far from the Hamilton Pool but get there early. Then to keep the women happy visit https://familybusinessbeerco.com/

Tell them Jensen Ackles is the owner and he visits sometimes. You get to drink some beer and can probably meet Jep and his wife (Duck Dynasty) since they live on site and run the food trailer. They have a huge playground for the kids and the beer/food is pretty good.

Closer to DFW though Dinosaur Valley is pretty nice for a short trip.

Turner Falls is also worth a trip but it'll probably be busy for spring break.

Comment

Originally posted by 95DRGT View Post
              For Enchanted Rock, it's best to get there as early as possible. They will close the entrance gate once they reach capacity. I think that this is normal with several of the hill country area state parks on holidays and weekends.

Comment

I want to find a State Park that lets me hike in an ATV, so I can bring my beerz, jams (music) and guns in case I see something worth killing...
                Originally posted by Silverback
                Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

Are you planning on camping for a day or so or just going some place for a day hike? Within the DFW area, I prefer Cedar Hill State Park.

Cedar Hill State Park's DORBA trail has several miles of well maintained trails to hike on, the only caveat is that you are sharing it with mountain bikers and it can get crowded on the weekends in particular with nice weather. For the most part I've never had a problem hiking here except for the last time when I brought my dog along with me and he came close to getting run over twice by bikers hauling ass.

Here is a list provided by TPWD of trails broken down by region, length of trail, description, etc.

Although not as nice, DORBA's website also has a list of trails and descriptions.

The Dallas Off-Road Bicycle Association seeks to be at the forefront of promoting the sport of mountain biking, land access, and advocacy for the North Texas area.

Feel free to message me if you have any questions.

Comment

Oh, and with Spring Break coming up, the area parks like Cedar Hill will likely be packed so keep that in mind if you want to camp. The State Park website allows you to do reservations online and I use that as a guide to see how crowded a particular park will be.

Comment

Originally posted by Jose View Post
                      Oh, and with Spring Break coming up, the area parks like Cedar Hill will likely be packed so keep that in mind if you want to camp. The State Park website allows you to do reservations online and I use that as a guide to see how crowded a particular park will be.
                      I went to the Nature preserve no to long ago and it was covered up. It is a nice place to hike though. I will have to look up the newest name.

It does have around 10 miles and the back hills have some decent elevation changes.

General Info? ♦? Address & Hours? ♦? Maps & Trail Guides? ♦? Become A Friend Of CRP? ♦? Regulations Page? ♦? FAQ Page NTGD 2020 Closed Find out when CRP i…
                      Whos your Daddy?

Comment

For close by, mineral wells state park is nice

Comment

Originally posted by kingjason View Post
                          I went to the Nature preserve no to long ago and it was covered up. It is a nice place to hike though. I will have to look up the newest name.

It does have around 10 miles and the back hills have some decent elevation changes.

http://www.audubondallas.org/cedar-ridge-preserve/
                          The Cedar Hill Nature Preserve is pretty nice but I haven't been there in a while. As you mentioned, the back hills have some nice elevation (they actually have stairs cut into the ground to climb up them) which I really like. What I don't like is some of the weirdos it attracts. I think last year there was a report of a person with a gun and there had been a shooting in the neighborhood adjacent to the NP like the day of or the day before.

Same goes for the Oak Cliff Nature Preserve. Being in the hood there are a lot of people drinking and smoking there near the entrance. My sister and some of her friends go to the Cedar Hill NP a lot on the weekends to hike but I think they are mostly going to Cedar Hill State park now.

Comment

South Polk St. between Ledbetter & Camp Wisdom is great between about 11pm and 3am. It's an energetic hike though, it will get you heart pumping.
                            "It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Comment

Originally posted by Rick Modena View Post
                              I want to find a State Park that lets me hike in an ATV, so I can bring my beerz, jams (music) and guns in case I see something worth killing...
                              LMAO! In!

Originally posted by helosailor View Post
                              South Polk St. between Ledbetter & Camp Wisdom is great between about 11pm and 3am. It's an energetic hike though, it will get you heart pumping.
                              I know that area all to well.

Comment

Working...
                              X