Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type null in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/bbcode/url.php on line 2 Work bench for the garage, what do you have? - DFW Mustangs

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Work bench for the garage, what do you have?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Work bench for the garage, what do you have?

I'm not opposed to buying one, but the house we are leaving has a nice big handmade wooden one that's big and sturdy, with storage underneath, and I wouldn't mind replicating something similar, if I can get my hands on the right plans.

The previous owner also installed a whole wall of wooden 2x2 shelves, and the easy access storage has been nice to have, I want to build or buy something similar there as well.

Just steal that one, problem solved!

Comment

When I "remodeled" my garage, I decided screw anything fixed to the lower walls for cleaning purposes. I also took note that most of the space on my big work bench just had BS on it. So get hangers for storage and rollers for anything on the ground. Works great for re arraigning and projects, and cleaning in general. I have not missed having a giant wood work bench and I work on some big shit. That last shelf on the right will be gone soon going roller cabinet there also.

Whos your Daddy?

Comment

I built one in my garage years ago, and more recently built one for my home office / hobby room. I just winged it on the garage one but for the one inside I bought a bracket kit. They're both 2x4 construction with MDF surfaces.There are a million plans on google and they're easy to build.

Also built 2x2 shelves at my mom's new house in Waco on both sides of the garage. Also retty simple.

Comment

2x4's and 1 inch thick plywood. You can even build it custom height so its perfect for you. And it will be as long as you want it to be. Building em is the only way to go imo
          WH

Comment

Originally posted by kingjason View Post
            When I "remodeled" my garage, I decided screw anything fixed to the lower walls for cleaning purposes. I also took note that most of the space on my big work bench just had BS on it. So get hangers for storage and rollers for anything on the ground. Works great for re arraigning and projects, and cleaning in general. I have not missed having a giant wood work bench and I work on some big shit. That last shelf on the right will be gone soon going roller cabinet there also.

The king is right guys. Ditch the big workbench. I know I did a lot of what he suggests and it does free up space. I still have the POs big workbench too but it's a mess. My next house, I'm costing the floor before move in and will go all wall storage. In my hobby room I have floor to ceiling channel racks for steel brackets. I can literally put a shelf anywhere at any height that way. I will do the same in the next garage and using hanging and rolling cabinets too.

Comment

Originally posted by AnthonyS View Post
              The king is right guys. Ditch the big workbench. I know I did a lot of what he suggests and it does free up space. I still have the POs big workbench too but it's a mess. My next house, I'm costing the floor before move in and will go all wall storage. In my hobby room I have floor to ceiling channel racks for steel brackets. I can literally put a shelf anywhere at any height that way. I will do the same in the next garage and using hanging and rolling cabinets too.
              Or put HD Casters on the workbench if you may need to move it around.. Also, you don't have to make it big, that's the beauty of building it yourself. you make it as big as you want.

My garage bench is shallow so I can still pull a car in front of it. It doesn't take up much space, and under it is where I store my table saw, miter saw and router table. The space would be lost either way so putting a work surface over it just makes sense. There was a much larger fixed workbench when I bought my house, but I ended up disassembling it and that's what I used to make the current bench.

The bench in my office started as a tire / wheel rack when I was drag racing and swapping tires / wheels weekly. Then when I sold the Mustang, I took it apart and used the wood for a rolling rubbermade tote storage rack. That way I could move it around / out of the way as needed. I no longer needed that so now it's my workbench. Well, the 2x4's anyhow. I had the MDF already. I also had enough of the 2x4's to build a desk with some birch plywood as the surface, that I had leftover from another project. The best part is that the bench and desk in my office really cost me nothing (well, except $20 or so for the brackets). Everything else was leftover / waste from other projects.

Comment

I definitely like the idea of casters, more than once I've run into issue trying to work on something longer than the bench, as it's sandwiched between my toolbox and shelves. The vice is also at the one end, making that a difficult area to work with. The other side of that is bolting it to the wall allows me better leverage when needed.

As for size, I've used every inch of the one that I've got, and it's not small. It does get cluttered occasionally, though it's more about who I am and how I work. My office desk gets the same way, and both get cleaned up regularly. I'm a big proponent of "a place for everything, and everything in it's place." Too often I come across stuff that I put somewhere "temporarily," and simply forget it's there.

That said, the roller with drawers has it's own appeal, more space to lose, er uhh I mean store stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Big A View Post
                  I definitely like the idea of casters, more than once I've run into issue trying to work on something longer than the bench, as it's sandwiched between my toolbox and shelves. The vice is also at the one end, making that a difficult area to work with. The other side of that is bolting it to the wall allows me better leverage when needed.

As for size, I've used every inch of the one that I've got, and it's not small. It does get cluttered occasionally, though it's more about who I am and how I work. My office desk gets the same way, and both get cleaned up regularly. I'm a big proponent of "a place for everything, and everything in it's place." Too often I come across stuff that I put somewhere "temporarily," and simply forget it's there.

That said, the roller with drawers has it's own appeal, more space to lose, er uhh I mean store stuff.
                  Just make sure you get 2 of the casters as locking. Or, you can do a simple foot-step type system to allow you to drop the table off the wheels when you want it stationary.

Comment

Anyone got the hook up on some cabinet faces? I’m getting ready to do some garage clean up.

Comment

I've got a steel table from a dealership and a wooden table I built from 2x4s and MDF. I also have 2 rolling tool boxes and small craftsman cabinet that I bought because it was loaded down with reloading supplies and ammo.

Unfortunately everything both covered in junk right now. I'm in need of a good garage cleaning. I've been whittling away at it little by little, just need to kick everyone else out of my garage!

Comment

I like my Husky shelving system. I made a work bench in the middle with roller tool boxes tucked underneath. Modular to make changes. Inexpensive if bought right, on sale.

You're not going to beating on it with a hammer but it's sturdy. I'll build a rolling station on casters that lock to mount a vice, drill press, etc but want it all mounted so it can be removed to give me a clean work top to love to where the work is going on in the garage at that time.

I've got a huge wooden bench that is thick as fuck and heavy but all it does now is collect stuff on top. Huge eye sore to me and I need to unclutter it. Then get rid of it.

I've used the poly plastic legs with 2"Ă—4" and doubled up mdf top but I hated the lower shelf spacing. Made a strong platform for work though. I think a smallker version on casters will be the rolling work station.

That said, taking bids to close my 930sqft garage in and convert to living space then adding a 4+ car garage on the side somewhere around 1,500sqft (garage, shop, gym, hangout area).

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
                        Fuck you. We're going to Costco.

Comment

I built a nice bench using these about 22 years ago. It made the move to TX with us, and still works great. Mine is 8' long frame by 2' deep frame. I put an MDF top that is about 3' on top of it. I wanted it to hang over the frame front and back so it could press against the wall and keep stuff from falling off the back (old house had a concrete ledge so frame couldn't get all the way to the wall). The top hangs over the front because I put a few outlets underneath it. Now stuff can plug in without sticking out the front -- no risk of bumping into it as I work. I have a vise bolted down on one end, so I reinforced the top there. Now, I have a 4'x8' sheet of pegboard mounted to the wall above it. It works perfectly.

Comment

This is what I want in my next house

Designed and imported by Saber Cabinets., these base cabinets feature 4 drawers and comes assembled. With double ball bearing slides, 200 lb drawer rating, durable gloss powder coated finish, 19 gauge steel and aluminum handles. Available shipped to you from Obsessed Garage. Shop Now >

Comment

That looks great, but would look like ass within a week at my house. Something similar with a wood top would work well.

Comment

Working...
                              X