2020 Lawn Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Tx Redneck View Post
    Good luck gents, that stuff is aggressive. I had to pull by hand in St Augustine and man does it make some tough roots.
    O no, I have started to cut at ground level and PLAN on spraying weed killer so it soaked into the roots. I don't want lots of voids in the lawn. Little garden shears and get to cutting. Now if I can have the time to do it

Comment

• Originally posted by lincolnboy View Post
      O no, I have started to cut at ground level and PLAN on spraying weed killer so it soaked into the roots. I don't want lots of voids in the lawn. Little garden shears and get to cutting. Now if I can have the time to do it

Dallis grass spreads from the root level as well. MSMA is really the best way to get rid of it unless you want to dig giant holes or kill your grass as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Good luck gents, that stuff is aggressive. I had to pull by hand in St Augustine and man does it make some tough roots.
        We bought this place from an 80 year old couple that lived here 41 years. It had been quite a while since any maintenance was done in the yard. Lots of half-assed projects done on this entire place.

I've got years and years of downward progress to turn around in just about every aspect of this property. Maybe by the time I'm old and decrepit, I'll hand one of my kids a badass property.

Comment

• Originally posted by TX_92_Notch View Post
          We bought this place from an 80 year old couple that lived here 41 years. It had been quite a while since any maintenance was done in the yard. Lots of half-assed projects done on this entire place.

I've got years and years of downward progress to turn around in just about every aspect of this property. Maybe by the time I'm old and decrepit, I'll hand one of my kids a badass property.

I hear that. 81 year old neighbor from across the street is the same way with his lawn. I've started to cut his lawn and asked if he wanted his hedges trimmed. Old man Russ says naw, I'm to old to care about those , b u t I'll ask my wife. Big bald patch I front.

We are very tempted to by the house across the street from the house we are renting now. House has been sitting for who know how many years alone. I also mow that lawn and have started to spray some weed killer on the front. Only cause our kids rather play over there.

Weeds was good when younger but not now

Comment

Originally posted by 94mstng94 View Post
            Dallis grass spreads from the root level as well. MSMA is really the best way to get rid of it unless you want to dig giant holes or kill your grass as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            This is why I said good luck, it spreads by seed and rhizomes, so you have to kill it with the right stuff or pull it roots and all. It's not an easy task.

Comment

5-8 inches!
              "PSH!!!"

Comment

• Man the rain has really been like a steroid on my yard. I'm too cheap to water all the time, so my yard flourishes with good rain. I'll try to get some pics, but it is deep green and minimal weeds. Luckily we just sharpened mower blades because it is going to be tough cutting now. We'll have to raise and make two passes. Even the area I have under repair is starting to really fill in. Hope we continue to have some spells of rain and then sun.

Comment

• Originally posted by juiceweezl View Post
                  Man the rain has really been like a steroid on my yard. I'm too cheap to water all the time, so my yard flourishes with good rain. I'll try to get some pics, but it is deep green and minimal weeds. Luckily we just sharpened mower blades because it is going to be tough cutting now. We'll have to raise and make two passes. Even the area I have under repair is starting to really fill in. Hope we continue to have some spells of rain and then sun.
                  Bag the first cut if you're takin a bunch off, then lower the deck one more notch and mulch the last bit. That'll keep it lookin clean and still give you the benefit of the clippings breaking down and nourishing the grass.

Comment

Bag the first cut if you're takin a bunch off, then lower the deck one more notch and mulch the last bit. That'll keep it lookin clean and still give you the benefit of the clippings breaking down and nourishing the grass.
                    That was the plan. My boys are the lawn crew now, so they will love bagging. I may switch the blade back for the bagging one. Have the ninja mulching on now.

It's the craziest thing. We have two large dogs, and they run all over the back yard, play there, etc. We never water it. A few tight mowings, and it looks like a golf course. The grass is thick and weed free and has been for years. It can stop the mower if you miss a few days and do not raise the blade several notches. If I could just get all of my front to look like that. I have a lot of shade in a few areas though.

Comment

• Anyone ever use dual blade on their mower?

Comment

• I have used Honda mowers for the last 20yrs and they have 2 blades. They started out calling them Quadra Cut.

Comment

• First mow in a while not bad lol
                          kawasaki ninja 650r hd wallpaper

Cheap Walmart fertilizer with iron and a bag of milorganite
                          "PSH!!!"

Comment

I have used Honda mowers for the last 20yrs and they have 2 blades. They started out calling them Quadra Cut.
                            I have an old dome deck honda (hrr216), and Hrx217 and a commercial toro.. the twin blade Honda’s cut fantastic and bag well.. the mowers with the gcv190&200 are super powerful too and shred tall grass.. my gcv160 honda struggles in tall grass but still cuts great.. the toro with the Kawasaki engine is a monster too.
                            Last edited by Stephen; 05-27-2020, 06:12 PM.
                            "PSH!!!"

Comment

Someone correct me if im wrong, but generally herbicides take through the leaves on the plant and not the roots. That’s why some herbicides require a surfactant and some have one built in.. (surfactant is just a cool word for something that bonds to something else.. dish soap works great as a surfactant)
                              "PSH!!!"

Comment

• You're correct, it needs the leaves in tact.

Comment

Working...
                                X