4 Day Water Only Fast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4 Day Water Only Fast

So up until last week I had never given long term fasting a second thought. This was until I learned all of the long term health benefits associated with multi-day fasts.

On a strictly water only fast, around day 3-4 your stem cell production drastically increases apparently due to the production of white blood cells after metabolizing the damaged cells in your body. When your body has nothing to digest, it enters into repair mode and starts using damaged cells (which could end up turning cancerous) for energy and also repairs/creates new cells (specifically the mitochondria). It is also supposed to be the ultimate detox for your body which is what had me interested.

Anyways, I ended up deciding to try it out and planned to do 48 hours to see how I felt, ended up going 72 hours without anything but water and black coffee in the morning. It was really quite easy. The hunger was never more than annoying and my energy levels were totally normal. 24 hours in I ran 2 miles feeling fine and the next day I did a heavy chest session and although I was definitely a tad bit weaker than normal I felt fine. I came off the fast continuing my low carb diet and I am still down 5 pounds a week later. If I can keep those 5 pounds off it will definitely be an added benefit.

Just wanted to pass this info on! It was also kind of liberating learning that hunger is actually more psychological than anything else. Breaking the eating routine was the hardest part.

This is mostly about time restricted eating but has a lot of good scientific info about 2 hours in

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Sounds pretty damn interesting. So do you just drink constantly or do you monitor your water intake?

Comment

You doing keto?

Comment

I did almost 10 days several years ago. I posted about it on the old board but I can't search there anymore.

There's also this thread, it has some of my experience in it:

I've been wanting to do it again.

Comment

I did a 6 day water only about a month ago. I have a pretty physical job so I was a bit weak by day 5 but nothing too bad. I had been dieting a couple months prior and for me it was easier to eat nothing all week than eat perfectly healthy. I found that odd. I only lost 5 pounds for the week which isn't as much as most lose, but as I said my diet before that was pretty stringent (12-1400 calories a day) so it wasn't a huge shock like people go from eating fast food to nothing. I plan on doing it again soon as I enjoyed it from a mental standpoint. I felt incredibly clear minded all the time.
          Last edited by Wish4svts; 06-10-2017, 09:08 AM.
          Detailing is an Obsession!!

1996 MYSTIC Cobra #405 of 2000

Fox Coupe "Calypso Killer"

Comment

Interesting. By my other thread, I have been intermittent fasting on a 17/7 plan. I may have to give the several day thing a try just to shock the system now.

I have been on an 17/7 for months at a time for the past 6-8 months or so. It is always the routine meal times or the "I'm bored. Need to eat something" that takes a few days to get past but after that I generally go for a couple of months on that 17/7. Now, once every two weeks or so, I will break the fast and eat a dinner (I normally eat between 0715 and 1415) but only for occasions like Taco Tuesday.

My weightloss had seemed to go stagnant on me. I was 190 when I went home last R&R mid-April. I didn't touch the weights and ate normal my entire 21 days home. So when I got back I started right back on my 17/7 plan and was at 191-192. In the past month back I have been able to get down to 188 but then just stalled out hard there. I don't eat junk, no sodas, no calories in my fast period, etc. My gym routine is 2 on, 1 off and on my off day I go do sprints and a jog for 15-30 minutes. On my gym days I am in there for a good hour and a half plus depending on what I am doing that day. I am sure that bumping my Test Cyp to 150mg a week is putting on muscle in exchange for fat ounce : ounce.

I have a month to go, 28 days exactly, before my next trip home and that one involves a Fit For Duty physical in Dubai. I am not worried about the blood work but would like to get to a goal weight of 180 by then.

Maybe I'll give this a try next week and turn down my gym routine into a maintain workout vs making gains workout.
            Last edited by KBScobravert; 06-10-2017, 09:39 AM.
            Fuck you. We're going to Costco.

Comment

I stopped working out during my fast, from what I've read you can actually lose gains by lifting during a fast. Also the fat to muscle loss is supposed to be around 90/10 for medium length fasts
              Detailing is an Obsession!!

1996 MYSTIC Cobra #405 of 2000

Fox Coupe "Calypso Killer"

Comment

Originally posted by lowthreeohz View Post
                You doing keto?
                Yes I keep a low to no carb diet and cheat 2 days on the weekends.

Originally posted by Wish4svts View Post
                I stopped working out during my fast, from what I've read you can actually lose gains by lifting during a fast. Also the fat to muscle loss is supposed to be around 90/10 for medium length fasts
                Yeah I haven't researched that directly and I will but from a logical standpoint I could only see that happening if your body already burned all the fat you had first. From what I've read your body will only start dipping into your fat stores around day 3. Tons of sugars to use in the large muscle groups.

Originally posted by KBScobravert View Post
                Maybe I'll give this a try next week and turn down my gym routine into a maintain workout vs making gains workout.
                If you don't do low to no carb with your time restricted eating it will definitely help with the weight loss. But from my experience give yourself like friday night and saturday to cheat and it makes it so worth it! I look forward to cheat day so much lol

Comment

I've never done full multi-day fasting, but when I was in great shape a while ago (eg. sub-hour Murph with weight vest, 400+ DL, etc) I was doing intermittent fasting. Morning workouts, skipping breakfast, doing a small early afternoon snack, and dinner was the only real meal. I never felt tired and never really felt hungry.

I travel for a week at a time regularly - Listening to Tim Ferriss and others has got me thinking about a multi-day fast while I'm on the road to see how it goes.

Comment

Originally posted by Baba Ganoush View Post
                    Sounds pretty damn interesting. So do you just drink constantly or do you monitor your water intake?
                    No, I don't monitor it. I just drink when I'm thirsty or when I feel hungry. I'd say 6-8 water bottles a day.

Comment

I'm very interested in this topic. It seems that the health benefits of fasting are coming to light more and more these days. The longest I've gone so far is 36 hours. But I've done it a few times now. The hunger dies (for me) after about 10 hours. Then things start to change. I start to feel light on my feet, and don't really have any problem with energy. I can even work as I normally would.

Its weird to think about it this way, given the culture most of us here were raised in. But when your body isn't giving most of its energy to digestion, it immediately goes to fixing shit. Look up 'water fasting to kill cancer' for instance.

WH

Comment

I'm going to ease into a fast that will start tomorrow morning. I've eaten my small breakfast today already and will eat fruits during my normal 7hs eating tomorrow then shut it off completely for a water fast and see how it goes.

I'll take time from the gym until I get over the low energy huner hump the first day. Then try a high rep lower weight routine on my weight days I'm still on the water fast.

D. Lil, will substituting a mug of hot green tea in place if black coffee still hold to a water only fast parameters? I find the tea (no sugar) helps with the habit eating and hunger feelings.

Comment

Apparently it isn't the MOST OPTIMAL (although without sugar black coffee and tea is zero calorie, your body still has to process the caffeine) but in no way is it a bad thing especially if it helps get over being hungry. Like I said I love my coffee in the mornings so I continued that part of my routine.

So I just started this book, The Complete Guide to Fasting: Heal Your Body Through Intermittent, Alternate-Day, and Extended by Jason Fung. Lots of good info rebutting all the myths associated with fasting and backs everything up with studies. $10 on amazon kindle

Comment

I've got ketone test strip with me. Did you by chance test to see what amount of ketones were in your urin which indicates ketosis?

I figure I'll test each morning over the next 2 days, hopefully.

Comment

No I didn't. I have some strips at home but sadly they don't have them in the PX (Baghdad) here lol

Comment

Working...
                              X