New Laws Sept 1 -

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jose View Post
    Knuckles will also be legal. I've had an ASP baton for maybe over 15 years. Found it, new it was illegal, so it's been sitting on a shelf in my bedroom. Doubt i'll carry it but nice to know I could. Would be interesting to see if any training becomes available.

So anything else interesting?
    Insurance deductible laws changed too

Comment

Originally posted by Ruffdaddy View Post
      Insurance deductible laws changed too
      Glad I just had my roof replaced...

Comment

Originally posted by IHaveAMustang View Post
        Glad I just had my roof replaced...
        Yep...my thoughts were that a bunch of roofing companies are going out of business and roofs will remain damaged.

The insurance companies and big name roofers seem to have better connections than the multitude of small companies (or better lobbyists).

Comment

Yep...my thoughts were that a bunch of roofing companies are going out of business and roofs will remain damaged.

The insurance companies and big name roofers seem to have better connections than the multitude of small companies (or better lobbyists).
          Trust me the big name roofers didn't want this. This hurts them. This was all about the insurance companies trying to save money. They think by forcing the homeowners to pay their deductible instead of roofers waiving it roofers won't jack up the prices on the insurance like they do to cover the cost. Trust me I was in a meeting with 300 roofers 2 weeks ago with lawyers going over this exact law and the biggest roofers in town were in there as well and they weren't happy. It's going to be a big name roofer they target first with this to make an example out of them. It's a $3000 fine per violation and up to 180 days in jail, they aren't playing. So you get caught saving deductibles on 10 houses it's $30,000 in fines. It will be interesting to say the least.

Comment

Really, nothing about hemp being legal? You guys are slipping. This one has caused mass confusion state wide.
            Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Originally posted by blownaltered View Post
              Trust me the big name roofers didn't want this. This hurts them. This was all about the insurance companies trying to save money. They think by forcing the homeowners to pay their deductible instead of roofers waiving it roofers won't jack up the prices on the insurance like they do to cover the cost. Trust me I was in a meeting with 300 roofers 2 weeks ago with lawyers going over this exact law and the biggest roofers in town were in there as well and they weren't happy. It's going to be a big name roofer they target first with this to make an example out of them. It's a $3000 fine per violation and up to 180 days in jail, they aren't playing. So you get caught saving deductibles on 10 houses it's $30,000 in fines. It will be interesting to say the least.
              That's crazy. I had read an interview from what must be the 1 contracting company happy about this that said itll be good to chase off the bad roofing companies. Good to see feedback from an actual sample size.

I still think it's way too damn expensive for roof work. My house was like $20-30K and from what my friends in the business say...materials and labor are only like half that. I guess i can see how absorbing a 1-2% deductible will raise the roofing cost a lot (if a company absorbs it), so there was no advantage to people buying a low deductible plan.

I'm really curious to see how this works out long term.

Comment

The problem is that people were getting a new roof...without paying a deductible...and new TVs and other crap too. People in the system are getting paid on a percentage, so they all want the settled number to be higher. It pisses me off that my rates go up from the fraud of others. I hope it fixes it and I will be anxious to see.

Comment

The Brass Knuckles being legal is interesting. I'm not sure that will ultimately turn out too well in the long run. However, I applaud the state of Texas for providing more individual freedoms in regards to self defense.

Comment

Question on the insurance issue. I'm in the middle of having my roof replaced, the ins. co sent me a check for the full amount that the adjuster agreed to, minus my 1% deductable.

How is that going to make me pay my own deductable? All I did was find a roofer who would do what I wanted for the amount =/< the check.
                    G'Day Mate

Comment

Originally posted by Grimpala View Post
                      Question on the insurance issue. I'm in the middle of having my roof replaced, the ins. co sent me a check for the full amount that the adjuster agreed to, minus my 1% deductable.

How is that going to make me pay my own deductable? All I did was find a roofer who would do what I wanted for the amount =/< the check.
                      After sept 1, they will force the roofing company to provide proof of payment. I think you may have just beat the change.

Edit: this may be totally different if you own your house outright. Some people just keep the check.

Comment

have to start wearing the kill switch in boats now

Comment

SVO with knife >>>> Navy SEAL team..... the whole team.

Comment

Originally posted by kingjason View Post
                            Really, nothing about hemp being legal? You guys are slipping. This one has caused mass confusion state wide.

My mom and a friend use the CBD oil for their knees and said it works awesome. I also seen and heard of people getting busted for having the oil during a traffic stop. So wierd even though you can buy it at a lot of convenience store.

Comment

That's crazy. I had read an interview from what must be the 1 contracting company happy about this that said itll be good to chase off the bad roofing companies. Good to see feedback from an actual sample size.

I still think it's way too damn expensive for roof work. My house was like $20-30K and from what my friends in the business say...materials and labor are only like half that. I guess i can see how absorbing a 1-2% deductible will raise the roofing cost a lot (if a company absorbs it), so there was no advantage to people buying a low deductible plan.

I'm really curious to see how this works out long term.
                              The three largest companies in Dallas were in that meeting and they were not happy with it. They do the same shit with deductibles everybody else does. Matter of fact some of them are worse. I had one of big three companies tell one of my homeowners last week that if they paid there deductible he would buy him two new garage doors. That way he got something for it. Trust me these guys are already figuring out how to get around this.

As for the cost of roofing now days being so high. You can blame the shingle manufacturers and out of town roofers. Shingles are more than double what they were 8 years ago, all the accessories are double what they were 5 years ago. Labor is up over 50% on normal pitch roofs and more than that if your roof is steep. Storm chasers come in town every hail storm and they raise the labor price to get labor to work for them. Great for the labor but shit for local companies and homeowners. Those prices are still up from 2016. Not to mention the salesman make a good amount more commission percentage than they used to.

If you want to pass a law that would actual help homeowners and local companies the state would pass licensing for roofers. There is no license in the state of Texas for roofing, no matter what a roofing salesman will tell you. There is no rule on what type of insurance or even have insurance for roofers. It's the wild west out there. Trust me I've been doing this over 20 years and nothing has changed on this front. This won't happen because the insurance companies don't want it to happen. If licensing were passed in Texas the price of roofing would go up about 20% to 30% and that is about what ever other state pays for roofing. See if they had licensing we would have to take a test, pass background checks, have specific insurance and workmans comp. The insurance companies don't want that because there are more roof claims in Dallas than any other market in the country by more than double on average.

Comment

Originally posted by ryuu View Post
                                have to start wearing the kill switch in boats now
                                Wait, what?
                                G'Day Mate

Comment

Working...
                                X