Induction countertops???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chili View Post
    What kills me is that my house has gas.. Just the furnace and water heater, though there's a line to the dryer as well (but I already had electric). Why they didn't do the oven and stove is beyond me. Hell, there may be a line already there, but a subsequent remodel capped and hid it.

I know there's a gas heater in the wall in the master bath and also a capped line coming into the room in my office (one of the bedrooms).. The latter is right on the other side of the wall from the meter, so I'm assuming that was a previous owner for heat. This room doesn't get very good air flow from the HVAC.

Hell, we even have a functional gas light in the front yard. It uses mantles like a propane lantern (though I haven't had it on in years)!

Same here. Gas furnace, gas water heater, and gas lamp post out front. No drop for the cooktop, though.

Electric applicances are quite a bit cheaper on the front end, but cost more to operate. Gas more expensive up front, cheaper operating cost. At least on the commercial side, I've never paid close attention to the residential side. This is the only thing that makes sense to me on why builders go electric when gas is available.
    Originally posted by BradM
    But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
    Originally posted by Leah
    In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Originally posted by Chili View Post
      What kills me is that my house has gas.. Just the furnace and water heater, though there's a line to the dryer as well (but I already had electric). Why they didn't do the oven and stove is beyond me. Hell, there may be a line already there, but a subsequent remodel capped and hid it.

I know there's a gas heater in the wall in the master bath and also a capped line coming into the room in my office (one of the bedrooms).. The latter is right on the other side of the wall from the meter, so I'm assuming that was a previous owner for heat. This room doesn't get very good air flow from the HVAC.

Hell, we even have a functional gas light in the front yard. It uses mantles like a propane lantern (though I haven't had it on in years)!
      Most houses add that as an option to make more money. They buy bulk appliance packages in all electric. If you want to get a gas stove, you have to upgrade the plumbing (gas line) and upgrade your appliance package. I have seen a builder quote $2k to run the gas line for the stove. Ridiculous.

Comment

Originally posted by fordracing19 View Post
        We have the Kitchenaid Induction and so does my brother. It is different than cooking on gas but we habe no issues. It heats extremely fast on high.

Yup, We have no issues with our Kitchenaid except for a low buzz when on high. My wife likes cooking with the Copper Chef pan the most. We are all electric at this house. If I had gas as an option, I would have went with that I think.

Comment

Reread some of the thread; thought he was only talking about a stove top. Not an entire countertop made of this shit. Didn't know they had that. Sounds expensive
          WH

Comment

Originally posted by Gasser64 View Post
            Reread some of the thread; thought he was only talking about a stove top. Not an entire countertop made of this shit. Didn't know they had that. Sounds expensive
            Nobody makes an induction countertop. I don’t know how you could possibly come up with that after supposedly rereading the thread because that was already addressed. Then again, it is you, so....

Comment

yea, not whole counter top....LOL

I just didn't know the technical term when I created it.

I've been looking and looking before I decide to pull the trigger on induction period. I was fine with regular electric. I'm no chef. haha

Comment

I currently have an induction cooktop. I wouldn't go back to ceramic or traditional style. I've used gas, I think I prefer induction - works well and easier to clean (here are some tricks). I bet induction is good, but get read reviews on the hobs before your purchase it. Some have been not so flash.

Comment

Originally posted by Gasser64 View Post
                  Induction island is what I'm waiting for. I could cook 125 pancakes at the same time!

Chili, call a plumber and get a price to run a gas line. I recall someone getting a quote for it a few years ago and want to say it was under $700 at their house. Well worth the investment!

Comment

Originally posted by yellowstang View Post
                    Induction island is what I'm waiting for. I could cook 125 pancakes at the same time!

Comment

Chili, call a plumber and get a price to run a gas line. I recall someone getting a quote for it a few years ago and want to say it was under $700 at their house. Well worth the investment!
                      If we ever end up blowing out the current kitchen and starting over, that may be an option. The water heater is only about 15 feet away from the current cook-top, and there's a capped line going to the dryer area in the garage, about the equal distance but opposite directions, so I'm sure it would't be terrible and is probably a line in the vicinity. That said, if I tried to just retrofit I would still have to factor in the costs of the new stove and modifying the existing counter-top and cabinets. And I would want to do the oven too. Honestly, it's just not that important.

Comment

Greatness. Hahahahahahahah

Ended up getting Bosch Flex induction cooktop

Comment

Working...
                        X