Stand up shower

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stand up shower

Has anyone done their own stand up shower? We are in the process of remodeling our master bathroom and the shower is on the list. I am converting from a fiberglass tub/shower surround combo (think one piece unit from the late 80's), to an acrylic pan with tile walls.

My question is regarding shower niche's. Has anyone done them? We want to avoid shower caddies on the wall. I wasn't aware of pre-formed niche boxes when I started planning this so I was working out how to frame in the niches and build them so that they don't leak. After some googling, I found pre-made shower niches in a multitude of different flavors. Has anyone used them?
    Originally posted by Leah
    Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.

Ours has a couple tile shelves on the corner.
    "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder View Post
      Ours has a couple tile shelves on the corner.
      This is our standard installation on our new builds. Given the amount of....stuff....my wife has for hair care and skin care, this will not suffice!

Comment

Originally posted by black2002ls View Post
        This is our standard installation on our new builds. Given the amount of....stuff....my wife has for hair care and skin care, this will not suffice!
        We have a bench in ours full of hair stuff. Counted 17 bottles one day.
        2015 F250 Platinum

Comment

Originally posted by fordracing19 View Post
          We have a bench in ours full of hair stuff. Counted 17 bottles one day.
          EXACTLY! We got to talking about it and at first I told her we weren't going to do it, based on the number of bottles in the shower, the amount of niche that was going to be required, and the greater potential for leaks. That was before I saw the preformed niches.

Comment

Jesus.

We have one shampoo bottle that we both use, her body wash, my body wash, facial wash. That's it. 4.
            "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Jesus.

We have one shampoo bottle that we both use, her body wash, my body wash, facial wash. That's it. 4.
              yeah. There is our shampoo, conditioner, body wash, loufas, stuff for her hair after she has it colored, stuff for her face, etc, etc, etc, etc. Oh, and my bar of soap.

Comment

My wife likes to rotate shampoo and conditioner. I use whatever has the least, but I don't have much hair.
                2015 F250 Platinum

Comment

If you didn't have the bench then it would just be on the ground.

Comment

Originally posted by FastFord19 View Post
                    If you didn't have the bench then it would just be on the ground.
                    Truth!
                    2015 F250 Platinum

Comment

Be sure to put some foot holds in creative places for shenanigans.

Comment

Jesus.

Queer

Comment

I made my own and covered them with hardi, thinset, and siliconed all the crevices real well.

Comment

I have installed a couple. They are fairly easy to install. The most recent ones were Laticrete niches that you just silicone to the studs and tile over it. It was used with an entire laticrete shower system though.

A person at work recently was telling me about one they were putting in that was a non tiled one that you just install and tile up to it. Sounded great but I havent seen one in person.

Either way, I would suggest getting a prefab one. They can hold water if you are not careful and it you didnt seal it well enough, it will leak and you have mold issues. Its worth the $60 to buy a prefab

Comment

Originally posted by 8mpg View Post
                              I have installed a couple. They are fairly easy to install. The most recent ones were Laticrete niches that you just silicone to the studs and tile over it. It was used with an entire laticrete shower system though.

A person at work recently was telling me about one they were putting in that was a non tiled one that you just install and tile up to it. Sounded great but I havent seen one in person.

Either way, I would suggest getting a prefab one. They can hold water if you are not careful and it you didnt seal it well enough, it will leak and you have mold issues. Its worth the $60 to buy a prefab
                              This is the way that I am leaning/planning to go when we do the shower. After figuring in the labor, materials (red guard) to do it right it is the way to go. The amount of frustration and time in framing the niches, wrapping with hardie, floating properly for drainage, and red-guarding, is greatly off set by the pre-fab units.

Comment

Working...
                              X