Replacing a 110 outlet with USB outlet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacing a 110 outlet with USB outlet

So I was thinking of replacing one of the 110 outlets in my kitchen with a 110/2 port USB outlet, but can not locate one that is also a GFCI outlet. Would that make any difference to the rest of the outlets connected to it (I think there are 4 other outlets on that line).
    Is this something I can just swap out, with no worries (other than trip the breaker first ;-) )?

Looking at something like this one

Current one looks like this

Do you have to replace the gfci outlet? There aren't other regular outlets in the kitchen?

Comment

The GFCI outlet should be left in place. Any outlet down the line that is
      turned off when the GFCI is tripped can be replaced with the outlet you want.

Comment

The position of this outlet is a lot more convenient for charging cell phones, etc, that's why I was looking for a GFCI/USB outlet. It is to the right of my stove, a smaller area, like maybe 3 feet across. Down the line on the left there are 5 more plugs, and the last one is also GFCI, next to fridge.

I'll just leave it as is, and maybe get a plug in/adapter that can hold more than 1 USB cable. Something like this.

Comment

Are you sure there's not another GFCI outlet up the circuit? We had a house that the main GFCI was in the garage and it fed both bathrooms (and maybe the kitchen, don't remember). If any prior owners replaced outlets, they may have installed GFCI's even though that would be overkill.

Comment

Originally posted by GeorgeG. View Post
            Are you sure there's not another GFCI outlet up the circuit? We had a house that the main GFCI was in the garage and it fed both bathrooms (and maybe the kitchen, don't remember). If any prior owners replaced outlets, they may have installed GFCI's even though that would be overkill.
            Yeah, just down, at the far end. Right by the fridge (water line) and this by the stove, so I guess technically you could get water splashed near it.
            Went with the dual USB plug thing, works great!

Comment

Could you just use a GFCI breaker instead and use the USB outlet?

Comment

Replacing just that outlet would lead to a code violation. Not an issue if you never plan to sell the house. If you sell the house and they have an inspection done, they will ask that you replace the outlet to bring it up to code, they will also, more than likely, request that you have it done by a licensed electrician. People get terrified when electric is DIY.

Originally posted by 4EyedTurd View Post
                Could you just use a GFCI breaker instead and use the USB outlet?
                I would have to check my code book, however, you should be able to replace the breaker that services that branch with a GFCI breaker. Just know that any branch circuits on that breaker that do not require GFCI protection, will then be on a GFCI circuit and could cause you an issue or two with the breaker tripping.
                Originally posted by Leah
                Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.

Comment

Working...
                X