Shelf life of a banana

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shelf life of a banana

I buy them green and within 3 days , turning black ..

Can only buy 3-4 at a time max or they are junk

Wrap the stem in plastic wrap...they will last longer.

Comment

I've noticed ours will age quicker if they're on the counter near veggies we have sitting out (tomato, avocado etc)

Comment

Hanging them will also help preserve.

Comment

Supposedly, if you wrap the stems it will delay ripening. However, I think when u buy fresh fruit and vegetables, you just need to eat them. Not let them sit around. Same with almost all perishable foods.

Comment

The organic ones are typically much greener at the store, which will also give you a longer shelf-life at home.

Comment

When they get about how you like to eat them, place in the fridge. It slows the process down a ton. The peel will turn black, but the fruit inside is still good.

Also, and I only say this because my wife went years not knowing you can do this, split the bunches at the store. I will buy bananas from 3 different bunches usually to get some green, some half ripe, and some ripe.

Comment

Bananas won't last a day in my house, so I don't have that problem.
                Detailing is an Obsession!!

1996 MYSTIC Cobra #405 of 2000

Fox Coupe "Calypso Killer"

Comment

I wish we could bring back the bananas from the turn of the 20th century. I've never had one, but if it's anything like banana "flavor" then I bet they were delicious.
                  G'Day Mate

Comment

Could it be something in your home? I buy green bananas and they're be yellow with no brown by the 3rd day..maybe a few brown spots but no where near rotten (all brown)

Comment

Altitude wreaks havoc on bananas (among other things) at our place. We can buy perfectly yellow bananas at the grocery store in Gunnison at 7700 feet, and by the time we get to our house at 8900 feet an hour later, they will already be brown. I guess they don't like the quick change in atmospheric pressure.

Comment

Originally posted by juiceweezl View Post
                        When they get about how you like to eat them, place in the fridge. It slows the process down a ton. The peel will turn black, but the fruit inside is still good.

Also, and I only say this because my wife went years not knowing you can do this, split the bunches at the store. I will buy bananas from 3 different bunches usually to get some green, some half ripe, and some ripe.
                        That's what I do with avocados, buy them green and refrigerate them as soon as they reach my preferred degree of ripening.

Comment

Get you a banana hammock and wear as much as possible.

CN

Comment

Originally posted by jluv View Post
                            Altitude wreaks havoc on bananas (among other things) at our place. We can buy perfectly yellow bananas at the grocery store in Gunnison at 7700 feet, and by the time we get to our house at 8900 feet an hour later, they will already be brown. I guess they don't like the quick change in atmospheric pressure.
                            I read that as attitude at first.. It was a confusing statement until about half way through.

Comment

You bought the wrong bananas:

When the government pays, the government controls.

Comment

Working...
                              X