Picked up a 95 GT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Picked up a 95 GT

After a long time without a toy, I finally bought something fun to roll around in. I picked up this 95 GT on craigslist for $3,200. I thought it was a pretty good buy, but the car is far from perfect. I really just wanted something to tinker on and teach my son how to maintain and fix cars.

The Good:
    Easily passes CA smog
    Bone stock down to the mufflers and air silencer
    T5 shifts great
    No accidents or rust
    Seats, headliner & carpets in great shape
    Recent base/clear respray that's nice

The Bad:
    200k miles (but runs great)
    Oil pan gasket leaks
    Speedo/Odometer don't work
    Heater core is bypassed and needs replaced
    AC has a leak
    Needs shocks & motor mount

This the first Ford I've ever owned and I'll likely have a lot of questions. I plan to keep updating this thread and I would appreciate folks popping in from time to time to see if you can help me out.

I intend to keep it stock except for some old school two chambers and an off-road H pipe. That will have to wait until all the maintenance items are addressed.

Here it is:

The first thing I'd like to fix is the speedo & odometer. Last weekend I checked the plastic gear on the VSS in the tranny and it's in good shape, no wear or missing teeth. I'm not sure if the issue is the VSS or the cluster. Anyone have any tips on how to troubleshoot?

I've read all about the gears in the cluster to fix the odometer, but that should not affect the speedometer.

Comment

Anything that clean is worth $5k. Stuff you mentioned sounds very minor

Comment

I've always loved those wheels on sn95's! Nice new car man!
        "PSH!!!"

Comment

Cali is nice to their cars.

Comment

Nice car! Needs the 4x4 delete asap.
            Speedo cable broken somewhere.
            "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776

Comment

No cable. It's either the VSS or the cluster...or the wiring in between.

I believe there only two wires.

I'd hit up a junkyard for a VSS and see if it works.
              Fuck you. We're going to Costco.

Comment

Not bad. Looks clean for that mileage.

Originally posted by UserX View Post
                Anyone have any tips on how to troubleshoot?

I've read all about the gears in the cluster to fix the odometer, but that should not affect the speedometer.
                Does your cruise control still work? If yes, then it's unlikely a problem with the VSS.

Comment

Nice car!
                  1995 Cobra #404
                  1994 Cobra #1968 **traded**
                  1991 LX Hatch 5.0-Sold

Comment

Originally posted by LS1Goat View Post
                    Does your cruise control still work? If yes, then it's unlikely a problem with the VSS.
                    Yes, cruise works fine. I had read that somewhere too. So now I guess the question is if it's the cluster or the PCM.

According to the Haynes manual I have, the plug to the VSS should have 5V, and it if doesn't then there could be an issue with the PCM. I guess I should check that before I shop for a cluster.

Thanks for the compliments, everyone! So far I'm really enjoying having it in the garage, and my three year old son is too.

Comment

Originally posted by UserX View Post
                      Yes, cruise works fine. I had read that somewhere too. So now I guess the question is if it's the cluster or the PCM.

According to the Haynes manual I have, the plug to the VSS should have 5V, and it if doesn't then there could be an issue with the PCM. I guess I should check that before I shop for a cluster.

Thanks for the compliments, everyone! So far I'm really enjoying having it in the garage, and my three year old son is too.
                      I mean it ain't no 4dr ss but it's alright!
                      "PSH!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen View Post
                        I mean it ain't no 4dr ss but it's alright!
                        I miss that car, wish I could have kept it. No way I would have been able to drive it on the street here in CA.

Comment

Lookin' good man. I can't place that wing on the trunk, but it's definitely not the stock Mustang wing from that era.

Comment

Originally posted by BLAKE View Post
                            Lookin' good man. I can't place that wing on the trunk, but it's definitely not the stock Mustang wing from that era.
                            Really? I thought it was stock. It's a factory Ford wing from something, has the Ford logo and part number on the underside.

Comment

Original paint?
                              WH

Comment

Working...
                              X