73 v8 cj-5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 73 v8 cj-5

I am looking at buying a 73 cj-5 with the original 304 in it. What am I looking at as far as being able to run down the highway at 70? Also I am 6'2" and curious about what kind of leg room I will have in a cj-5. It is listed at $4500 ready to go. If not that then I also found a '83 Jeep Scrambler. I drive down the highway every day to work and this will be my daily driver. I only have to go 6 miles down the highway though. Any advice on what problems in these to look for? Which seems more practice as a daily driver? The Scrambler is pretty much perfect and $6500. Thanks in advance.
    Why put off till tomorrow what you can put off till the next day?
    -Fred Sanford

I had a CJ5, not much leg room and Im 6'1". Highway travel isnt fun, but doable.

Id be more inclined to pick up the scrambler than the 5.
    "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

There is also a 65 tuxedo edition jeep that is pristine for $6500. It only goes 55 though. What is average top speed in the cj5 with the v8?
      Why put off till tomorrow what you can put off till the next day?
      -Fred Sanford

Comment

not a clue. I had the little 6 in mine, and it was so scary on the highway I only did about 70 once.
        "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

I don't know about CJ-5, but my CJ-7 with 35's is squirly at 70mph and not any fun at all to drive that fast. Personally I would get the Scrambler, I've always wanted one of those.

Comment

the scrambler has a much longer wheelbase than the CJ5, and would be much more stable at highway speeds, given that they are both in reasonable shape as far as suspension and steering goes.

Comment

Originally posted by oh1bullitt View Post
              What is average top speed in the cj5 with the v8?
              I had a CJ-5 back in my college days. 304, three speed (T-15?), 3.73's, long tubes, Performer intake and a Holley. Cruised at 70 effortlessly - and in a moment of youthful indiscretion had it above 100 once.

Comment

I'm 6'3" and have a booster seat for a butt, and I drove in a '45 MB which is considerably smaller than a CJ5. You might need to make adjustable seat brackets to bring the seat further back but you should be fine. I had to weld new brackets for my TJ but it's great now.
                "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
                "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Working...
                X