How to convert an atheist....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to convert an atheist....

Talking about Christianity with an atheist can be a difficult experience. Some atheists are deeply opposed to religion, some find it uninteresting, and others respect it as a different lifestyle. If you want to talk about religion with an...

A few highlights:

quote:
    you live in a particularly Christian country, then you are almost certainly not the first Christian to try to convert any atheist you meet. And probably most attempts before you were pushy and/or formulaic. Learn to "be Christian" rather than "talk Christian", and you may have more luck.

quote:
    Many atheists see proselytizing Evangelical Christians (and only Evangelicals) as mentally deranged fanatics, close-minded and incapable of accepting another's belief, on a par with UFO believers, neo-Nazis, or any rabid believer. Perhaps your role in their eventual conversion is simply to serve as a counter-example.

quote:
    not just bring in the subject of the Ten Commandments and list them off one by one. If you wish to talk about morality with an atheist, be prepared to give real, non-religious, reasons for why you think something is right or wrong, instead of just "God said so".

quote:
    Persistently demonstrate a loving and Christlike example within your own life; some atheists are atheists because of their (many times justified) perception that Christians are hypocritical or evil. Remember that examples of hypocritical Christians can be found by the dozen, starting with Ted Haggard and ending with Catholic pedophiles. Explain that the reprobate Christian is not like all other Christians, but do know that there are counterarguments. Simultaneously, realize that there are many, many moral people who are agnostics and atheists - one does not need religion to have "decent" behavior.

quote:
    Learn about geology and evolution and do not try to argue that observable physical reality is wrong. Most Christians accept that evolution is proven to be scientific fact, and realize that it does not conflict with faith. Do not avoid books written by atheists; they are not biased against God, but instead try simply to present factual accounts. Be aware that books written by Christians are usually biased and factually inaccurate. Agnostic writers tend to find a common ground, but you have to be prepared to recognize the "Flying Spaghetti Monster/Pink Unicorn Theories", and realize that there is a logical point to these arguments.

quote:
    Insisting that someone worship in a religion is wrong and not effective. No matter what your religion, one should be clearly persuaded--but not be treated cruelly or as if they are somehow "wrong". Also be warned that in some cultures the act of converting or conversion could be either unethical, or - like in Saudi Arabia - usually illegal. Be prepared to be persecuted or even killed for sharing your faith.

quote:
    A non-believer may not be swayed by arguments from the Bible, since he or she does not believe that it is divinely-inspired, or possibly that deities even exist. Quoting a Bible verse might be sufficient if speaking to a fellow Christian, but it will likely not be convincing for an atheist.

quote:
    Keep in mind that many atheists may not even believe that Jesus existed, let alone that he was God made man. Therefore making statements like "Jesus loves you so much that he died for your sins" will most likely not sway them.

Originally posted by davbrucas View Post
    http://www.wikihow.com/Persuade-an-A...come-Christian

A few highlights:

quote:
    you live in a particularly Christian country, then you are almost certainly not the first Christian to try to convert any atheist you meet. And probably most attempts before you were pushy and/or formulaic. Learn to "be Christian" rather than "talk Christian", and you may have more luck.

quote:
    Many atheists see proselytizing Evangelical Christians (and only Evangelicals) as mentally deranged fanatics, close-minded and incapable of accepting another's belief, on a par with UFO believers, neo-Nazis, or any rabid believer. Perhaps your role in their eventual conversion is simply to serve as a counter-example.

quote:
    not just bring in the subject of the Ten Commandments and list them off one by one. If you wish to talk about morality with an atheist, be prepared to give real, non-religious, reasons for why you think something is right or wrong, instead of just "God said so".

quote:
    Persistently demonstrate a loving and Christlike example within your own life; some atheists are atheists because of their (many times justified) perception that Christians are hypocritical or evil. Remember that examples of hypocritical Christians can be found by the dozen, starting with Ted Haggard and ending with Catholic pedophiles. Explain that the reprobate Christian is not like all other Christians, but do know that there are counterarguments. Simultaneously, realize that there are many, many moral people who are agnostics and atheists - one does not need religion to have "decent" behavior.

quote:
    Learn about geology and evolution and do not try to argue that observable physical reality is wrong. Most Christians accept that evolution is proven to be scientific fact, and realize that it does not conflict with faith. Do not avoid books written by atheists; they are not biased against God, but instead try simply to present factual accounts. Be aware that books written by Christians are usually biased and factually inaccurate. Agnostic writers tend to find a common ground, but you have to be prepared to recognize the "Flying Spaghetti Monster/Pink Unicorn Theories", and realize that there is a logical point to these arguments.

quote:
    Insisting that someone worship in a religion is wrong and not effective. No matter what your religion, one should be clearly persuaded--but not be treated cruelly or as if they are somehow "wrong". Also be warned that in some cultures the act of converting or conversion could be either unethical, or - like in Saudi Arabia - usually illegal. Be prepared to be persecuted or even killed for sharing your faith.

quote:
    A non-believer may not be swayed by arguments from the Bible, since he or she does not believe that it is divinely-inspired, or possibly that deities even exist. Quoting a Bible verse might be sufficient if speaking to a fellow Christian, but it will likely not be convincing for an atheist.

quote:
    Keep in mind that many atheists may not even believe that Jesus existed, let alone that he was God made man. Therefore making statements like "Jesus loves you so much that he died for your sins" will most likely not sway them.
    How about just keeping you beliefs to yourself and minding you own business. Most aitheist aren't gullible and really just want to be left alone, it's bad enough that we see religion everywhere we look.

Comment

Originally posted by RobbieMWD View Post
      How about just keeping you beliefs to yourself and minding you own business. Most aitheist aren't gullible and really just want to be left alone, it's bad enough that we see religion everywhere we look.
      Have you read ANYTHING in the Theology Corner other than this post? If not, do that, then come back and feel free to edit your response.

Edit: You may want to learn how to spell, you make yourself look dumb.
      Last edited by racrguy; 12-18-2010, 09:50 PM.

Comment

Get thee behind me Satan!!

Originally posted by racrguy View Post
        Have you read ANYTHING in the Theology Corner other than this post? If not, do that, then come back and feel free to edit your response.

Comment

Get thee behind me Satan!!

I read that and I was like:

Comment

Putting the steering wheel in his back...

Comment

Originally posted by racrguy View Post

Just like a Christian to judge someone for mispelling a word... I guess if "God" was my copilot, I'd never misspell a word...

Comment

Just like a Christian to judge someone for mispelling a word... I guess if "God" was my copilot, I'd never misspell a word...
                Ummm.....wut? For some reason I think you havent been reading threads in this forum very long.

Comment

Ummm.....wut? For some reason I think you havent been reading threads in this forum very long.
                  ^^this lol

But regardless, I don't need the Father, the Son, NOR the Holy Ghost to learn how to spell. God gave me all my talents, I am truly blessed.

Comment

Davbrucas, that was greatness!

Comment

lol I think I agree with you Dr. Dave.

Comment

Originally posted by The King View Post
                        lol I think I agree with you Dr. Dave.
                        lol. Agreed.
                        Photobucket

Comment

So I haven't been reading this forum very long so cut me some slack, I don't know where everybody stands:

I actually think that is pretty good advice...am I missing something?

i am pretty sure davbrucas is not a christian, did you mean this as a joke, or expect Brian C to freak out?

Really though, this puts what I was thinking about in the other thread into words pretty well, being more understanding and less judgmental.
                          Last edited by slow06; 12-19-2010, 11:00 PM.
                          "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have."
                          -Gerald Ford/Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by wikihow
                            Bolded part sound familiar to you, O.P.?

True

True

[QUOTE=wikihow]
                            Learn about geology and evolution and do not try to argue that observable physical reality is wrong. Most Christians accept that evolution is proven to be scientific fact, and realize that it does not conflict with faith. Do not avoid books written by atheists; they are not biased against God, but instead try simply to present factual accounts. Be aware that books written by Christians are usually biased and factually inaccurate. Agnostic writers tend to find a common ground, but you have to be prepared to recognize the "Flying Spaghetti Monster/Pink Unicorn Theories", and realize that there is a logical point to these arguments./QUOTE]

Actually arguments presented here by atheists often wind up centered more around Santa Claus, the Tooth Fairy, et al ad nauseum.

Nor is a believer likely to be swayed by quotes from, ahem, "wikihow"

True, but a non-believer making statements about what they choose to not believe should not be considered likely to sway any believer.

Comment

It goes both ways of course...but, yes those bolded comments sound familiar.

Comment

Working...
                              X