heavy bag/boxing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• heavy bag/boxing

Anyone here box or work a heavy bag in your garage? I picked up a 100lb bag this weekend. I youtube'd a few video's for some pointers. Man...I thought a knew what cardio was until this. Getting through two straight minutes is tough. Tonight was my second night at it and my hands/knuckles are hurting after about 30 minutes.

It came with a pair of 14 oz gloves. They're a little loose but I don't know how boxing gloves are suppose to fit or if a lighter/heavier weight would perform better. I'm 5'5" @ 185lbs. Do you think a 75lb bag would be better?

Over all, it's pretty kick ass to get in there an throw some punches. I hope to improve my foot work and over all technique.

Anyone else?

Did you wrap your hands

Comment

No, what does that do? I'd be going through too much tape to do that after every few minutes of unwrapping and resting.

Is that why my pink and ring finger knuckles hurt the most and a little bruised?

Comment

Originally posted by GeorgeG. View Post
        No, what does that do? I'd be going through too much tape to do that after every few minutes of unwrapping and resting.

Is that why my pink and ring finger knuckles hurt the most and a little bruised?
        It basically makes your hand a rock. That's how they are able to hit so hard without breaking their hand / wrist.

Comment

You can buy wraps from sports store. Ones that are made of a cloth material. That is what i have at home. Helps protect your knuckles/hand/wrist. Watch some vids on how to wrap using cloth material.

Comment

Wrap your hands. Like an idiot I didn't about 8 years ago and tore a ligament in my carpal bones... ended up having to have surgery. Not fun.
            '13 Porsche 911S, PDK, every Sport option, Aqua Blue

'13 King Ranch F150 S'Crew.

Comment

Yes, get the wraps that stretches and either has a velcro like sticky part, or the little metal clip. Not actual tape, these can be used over and over.

Comment

if you go to academy sports you can buy those hand wraps that are like gloves or like stated above the traditional wraps there is a ton of good basic boxing bag workouts nowadays on youtube so good luck
                RIP Roy Sebastion Fraga "lil' Roy" born december 7th 2010 gone back to heaven december 7th 2010. your always in our hearts and thoughts my special little grandson.

Comment

Definitely wrap your hands. Gloves should be tight. I'd highly recommend going to a boxing gym for some lessons and having a coach watch your punches. It's really easy to feel like your doing good and reality your close to breaking your wrist. When practicing on the bag you dont want to hit it hard at first. Go 1/4 speed and work on your form and technique. You can teach yourself really bad habits really quickly and they're tough to break. I thought I was an all star the first time I went to a boxing gym. Coach just watched me shadow box, hit the bag, and embarrass myself on the speed bag. Then he broke it all down and helped me learn how to hit. What I couldn't understand is it not hit the bag as hard as I could every time.

Comment

I've been wrapping my hands most of the time. I also picked up a better fitting pair of gloves which helped a lot. I think my other problem is the 100lb bag. It's an Everlast bag with some kind of foam technology. The downside is that the bag is damn near solid when punching it. The reviews I read said the foam eventually settles towards the bottom and gets rock hard so I've had to lighten up my punches and when it's not in use, I'll take it down and set it upside down.

I've taken up Muay Thai for the past few months and their bags are probably 75lb bags if I had to guess and much softer around the outside. It's definitely a considerable difference.

Comment

Originally posted by GeorgeG. View Post
                      I've been wrapping my hands most of the time. I also picked up a better fitting pair of gloves which helped a lot. I think my other problem is the 100lb bag. It's an Everlast bag with some kind of foam technology. The downside is that the bag is damn near solid when punching it. The reviews I read said the foam eventually settles towards the bottom and gets rock hard so I've had to lighten up my punches and when it's not in use, I'll take it down and set it upside down.

I've taken up Muay Thai for the past few months and their bags are probably 75lb bags if I had to guess and much softer around the outside. It's definitely a considerable difference.
                      they all eventually break down with use but ideally hitting harder bags makes your strikes stronger. good luck train hard and hey where do you train Muay Thai?
                      RIP Roy Sebastion Fraga "lil' Roy" born december 7th 2010 gone back to heaven december 7th 2010. your always in our hearts and thoughts my special little grandson.

Comment

Originally posted by stephen4785 View Post
                        Definitely wrap your hands. Gloves should be tight. I'd highly recommend going to a boxing gym for some lessons and having a coach watch your punches. It's really easy to feel like your doing good and reality your close to breaking your wrist. When practicing on the bag you dont want to hit it hard at first. Go 1/4 speed and work on your form and technique. You can teach yourself really bad habits really quickly and they're tough to break. I thought I was an all star the first time I went to a boxing gym. Coach just watched me shadow box, hit the bag, and embarrass myself on the speed bag. Then he broke it all down and helped me learn how to hit. What I couldn't understand is it not hit the bag as hard as I could every time.
                        which Boxing Gym do you go to?

Comment

There's this guy that started out of his garage in our neighborhood. He's grown to two locations now in Anna and McKinney. It's fun. At least till I checked a kick with the top of my foot. That really set me back, hurt like a mother. Then we're moving so i had to take a break this month. He has a fb page, camp kickboxing.

Comment

I'll trade you my Everlast 75lbs bag.

And, this for fun.

Comment

Originally posted by Blandnuts View Post
                              I'll trade you my Everlast 75lbs bag.

And, this for fun.
                              Silva didn't drink enough milk as a child lmao and trade your 75lb bag for what? my 170lb brick lol I also have a 150lb banana style bag and a 125lb body puncher bag

Comment

Working...
                              X