Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need opinions.... Sight\Scope for .45 Carbine...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need opinions.... Sight\Scope for .45 Carbine...

OK looking for something other than fixed sights for my .45 carbine.

Looking for something that will be good for use in both short and moderate range situations (well, moderate range for a .45 projectile)

Red dot (maybe w/magnifier), low power tactical scope, something else?

Looking for some opinions from folks much more informed than I...
    Last edited by Gargamel; 02-18-2013, 11:00 AM.

What carbine do you have?

Comment

It's an ugly, cheap ass hi-point...
      (From that you can probably guess my price range)

Comment

I'd look for an inexpensive red dot.

Comment

I would go with a red dot sight. Magnification won't do you much good with a .45 ACP since the bullet trajectory sucks after 50 yds.

According to Federal ammo ballistic chart.... With a 230 grain round nose at 850 fps, if you're zeroed at 25 yds, at 50 yds it's 1.9 in. low, at 75 yds it's 6.8 in. low, and at 100 yds it's 14.8 in. low. (This is all approx.) Lighter bullets like a 185 grain will do a little better trjectory wise, but you are sacrificing energy.

To put this in to perspective... On a B27 target (man size sillhouette) you would have to aim at the top of the shoulders to get a center hit.

A pistol caliber carbine is made to be a fast handling short range weapon. Iron sights and red dots really shine on this kind of weapon.

Comment

Thanks JP/SK,

I'm a little hesitant about some of the the real cheapy red dots I see out on amazon due to some of the bad reviews.

However, What do you think of something like the following?

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Sightmark-Ultra-Shot-Spec-Sight/dp/B004TDPPR2/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1361211168&sr=8-12&keywords=holographic+sight"]http://www.amazon.com/Sightmark-Ultra-Shot-Spec-Sight/dp/B004TDPPR2/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1361211168&sr=8-12&keywords=holographic+sight[/ame]

Comment

Nothing wrong with HP carbine!

Comment

Sorry can't help you with the Sightmark sight. I have only used the tube style sights. I had an Aimpoint and loved it. Currently have a Primary Arms microdot on my AR and a really cheap Leapers on my 9mm carbine. While not as sturdy, they hold zero and function just fine.

Comment

The leapers 30mm red dot is a great sight for the money. I had one on my 10/22 for years and I beat the living snot out of that gun and optics. Eventually the front element broke loose and began moving freely around, but it still works. My primary arms I believe is just as durable as the Aimpoint it replicates.
                  Last edited by CJ; 02-18-2013, 04:26 PM.
                  "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
                  "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

I have the cheap leapers red dot as well, it works well, just has a lot of parallax, so it helps to be mounted as far forward as possible.

Comment

From the guy that loves cheap....

I have been using a red dot on my Son's Beretta and it works great...
                      GIFSoup

Comment

Working...
                      X