Just got my CHL in the mail

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just got my CHL in the mail

I am seriously leaning towards picking up a Keltec PF9 to carry. I found one locally, new, for $350 but is there any other place that carries them at a better price, or am I just gonna have to suck it up and pay the premium due to the current market? Bud's is currently out of stock.

Here's the deal. I'm a small guy, 5'6" and under normal circumstances weigh about 150. I've held a LOT of different firearms and the 2 that felt the best in my hand are the Keltec PF9 and the S&W 642 Airweight. The overall cost of the PF9 is more attractive than the S&W, as is the size, but I am a fan of revolvers.

I've never carried before, but I know some of you do so here's a couple of questions.

Since I am a smaller frame guy, what is a good holster for IWB carry? I am not gonna go buy some cheap ass $20 holster. I want something that is going to help conceal it, hold it securely, be comfortable, and last a while.

Since I've never carried before, what are some good things to know/remember besides where and when I can carry?
    Annoying people, one post at a time!

Call http://mickeysammodepot.com/Guns%20A...20more....html They had one for less than $300 last time I was in there. They are in Caddo Mills right off I30. For holsters you cannot go wrong with a crossbreed or white hat. Trick Pony posted about one from nate squared tactical called the professional he really liked http://www.dfwmustangs.net/forums/sh...t=professional

Congrats on it finally showing up.
    92 LX 5.0

Comment

Originally posted by bobs94formula View Post
      Call http://mickeysammodepot.com/Guns%20A...20more....html They had one for less than $300 last time I was in there. They are in Caddo Mills right off I30. For holsters you cannot go wrong with a crossbreed or white hat. Trick Pony posted about one from nate squared tactical called the professional he really liked http://www.dfwmustangs.net/forums/sh...t=professional

Congrats on it finally showing up.

Thanks.

Here's something weird about my CHL though. The picture I sent in is not the picture on the ID!! For some reason, the state used my most recent driver's license picture for my CHL ID instead of the picture I sent them. So, my DL and CHL have the exact same pic. I can see this possibly leading to some problems down the road if I run across a cop that is in a really bad mood.

Comment

If you feel like waiting, Buds has them priced well under $300, but you'll have to reserve one.
        ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Originally posted by 91cavgt View Post
          Thanks.

Here's something weird about my CHL though. The picture I sent in is not the picture on the ID!! For some reason, the state used my most recent driver's license picture for my CHL ID instead of the picture I sent them. So, my DL and CHL have the exact same pic. I can see this possibly leading to some problems down the road if I run across a cop that is in a really bad mood.
          Welcome to the future of CHL. Drivers license and CHL will have the same picture from now on. It is the same department, and saves both time and money.

Comment

Originally posted by Venix View Post
            Welcome to the future of CHL. Drivers license and CHL will have the same picture from now on. It is the same department, and saves both time and money.
            Wonder how my renewal will show up ....

Comment

Originally posted by 91cavgt View Post
              I am seriously leaning towards picking up a Keltec PF9 to carry.
              Here's the deal. I'm a small guy, 5'6" and under normal circumstances weigh about 150. I've held a LOT of different firearms and the 2 that felt the best in my hand are the Keltec PF9 and the S&W 642 Airweight. The overall cost of the PF9 is more attractive than the S&W, as is the size, but I am a fan of revolvers.

Since I am a smaller frame guy, what is a good holster for IWB carry? I am not gonna go buy some cheap ass $20 holster. I want something that is going to help conceal it, hold it securely, be comfortable, and last a while.

Since I've never carried before, what are some good things to know/remember besides where and when I can carry?
              You really can't beat the PF9 for the money considering its smaller than a LOT of .380's and is very light. Keltec sells a +1 magazine extension that makes the gun a bit easier to shoot and also makes the gun an 8+1. I never leave home without it. I normally carry in an IWB holster in the small of my back...and it doesn't print. If you spend enough time searching for deals on them you will eventually find one for under 300. I paid $225 for mine at the Lewisville gun show last summer and it came with 2 magazines. Unless you want one new they pop up on Texas gun trader frequently.

Comment

Originally posted by ram57ta View Post
                You really can't beat the PF9 for the money considering its smaller than a LOT of .380's and is very light. Keltec sells a +1 magazine extension that makes the gun a bit easier to shoot and also makes the gun an 8+1. I never leave home without it. I normally carry in an IWB holster in the small of my back...and it doesn't print. If you spend enough time searching for deals on them you will eventually find one for under 300. I paid $225 for mine at the Lewisville gun show last summer and it came with 2 magazines. Unless you want one new they pop up on Texas gun trader frequently.
                They are ok. I hated that mine had to many feed issues and random shit. I was almost considering another one until a guy the other day blew up his barrel as he called it. He called them and they just sent him a new barrel like no big deal. WTF. I know the new ones are supposed to be better but I am still on the fence. Fit well in the pocket though, but kicked like a mule.
                Whos your Daddy?

Comment

I had a PF9 and had no malfunction issues. The only thing I didn't like was the mag release location. My thumb would rest on it and occasionally press it enough to drop the mag.

Comment

Originally posted by Venix View Post
                    Well that's dumb, why did they make me get pics and send them in?? lol

To the OP: when did you send in your stuff? Just trying to get an idea of turn around. I got my prints done and sent in the rest of my packet last week, just curious how long I am looking at.

Comment

Originally posted by Chili View Post
                      Well that's dumb, why did they make me get pics and send them in?? lol

To the OP: when did you send in your stuff? Just trying to get an idea of turn around. I got my prints done and sent in the rest of my packet last week, just curious how long I am looking at.

I took my CHL class on January 6th. I had everything in the mail and sent on the morning of January 7th. My license came in the mail on February 21st.

Comment

Working...
                      X