No announcement yet.

Lever Action Rifles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would stay away from the newer Marlin rifles and H&R/NEF branded guns.
    Look for a Marlin mfg pre-2008. Marlin was bought by Remington in 2008, but techincally, since Remington was/is owned by Freedom Group (Cerberus), then Marlin is owned by Freedom Group. All of the companies that have been purchased by Freedom Group have seen declines in quality.

REMINGTON
    BUSHMASTER
    REMINGTON MILITARY
    REMINGTON LE
    MARLIN FIREARMS
    H&R 1871/NEW ENGLAND FIREARMS
    DAKOTA ARMS
    TAPCO
    DPMS / Panther Arms
    PARKER GUNMAKERS
    BARNES BULLETS
    ADVANCED ARMAMENT
    PARA USA
    REMINGTON PMPD
    MOUNTAIN KHAKIS
    "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776

Comment

I've got a Marlin in .357 and it is a blast to shoot. Eventually I want to get a .44 to go with it.

Comment

I have my grandad's marlin 30-30, CJ refinished it for me a while back. Maybe he has pics he can post up...
        "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

They are a blast to shoot. It takes me a couple shots to get used to it again.

Reminds me of my old daisy red rider, just bigger boom.

Comment

I have a Marlin 1895-GS (stainless guide gun, 18" barrel) in .45-70

I'll put up some pics later.

Comment

Originally posted by Strychnine View Post

I'll put up some pics later.
              I bet that's a badass looking rifle.
              "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
              "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

I love my Marlins. I have one in 30-30 and one in .41 Rem Mag

Comment

Originally posted by CJ View Post
                  I bet that's a badass looking rifle.

A while ago:

Now, sans scope taken today. It's a .45-70. It's not a "reach out and touch someone" gun. It's more of a "Hey piggy... BOOM, HEADSHOT" kind of gun. I took the scope off b/c the trajectory is comparable to a garden hose without a nozzle.

Holdover is in the 20" range at 200 yds with 350gr Hornaday loads. With a 405gr solid Remington it's more like 24" at 200 yds.

But its hilariously fun to shoot at those ranges if you're good at it. Setup a steel plate at 200 yds. Get a feel for the holdover. Take the shot, set down the gun, open a beer... drink half of it... then listen for the PING and watch the plate swing.

Last edited by Strychnine; 01-22-2013, 03:10 PM.

Comment

How bad does it hit? I assume you're shooting low pressure rounds given your drop.
                    "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
                    "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

How bad does it hit? I assume you're shooting low pressure rounds given your drop.
                      Honestly, I'd rather shoot this than 30.06 or some other hot hunting loads.

It's much lower impulse. I'd call it more of a super hard shove than a hard quick punch.

With the Pachmayr pad on it I could shoot all day long, but you're right I shoot factory loads. .45-70 is one of those that you can load super hot, and I've read some stories from swingin' dicks about people loading so hot that they have had to get dental work done or even fix detached retinas. But I guess you can really do that with anything if you're stupid enough.

If you feel like pitching in on some ammo we can take it out one day.

Comment

Honestly, I'd rather shoot this than 30.06 or some other hot hunting loads.

It's much lower impulse. I'd call it more of a super hard shove than a hard quick punch.

With the Pachmayr pad on it I could shoot all day long, but you're right I shoot factory loads. .45-70 is one of those that you can load super hot, and I've read some stories from swingin' dicks about people loading so hot that they have had to get dental work done or even fix detached retinas. But I guess you can really do that with anything if you're stupid enough.

If you feel like pitching in on some ammo we can take it out one day.
                        That's one of the things I like about .45-70 is it does well at low pressures and it's reasonable. I looked into a .500 mag lever gun, but it operates at such high pressures it would probably detach your retinas. I do not have the dies, brass, or molds for those weight bullets in .452 but I might in the future.

Comment

I love my open sighted Henry lever action .22 it shoots all kinds of ammo super colibri, shorts, LR, I think there is more but haven't explored farther. Accurate too. I purchased to resale but kept it instead

Comment

Originally posted by franks View Post
                            I love my open sighted Henry lever action .22 it shoots all kinds of ammo super colibri, shorts, LR, I think there is more but haven't explored farther. Accurate too. I purchased to resale but kept it instead
                            I'm still actively looking for a Henry Big Boy in .44 mag.

Comment

That's one of the things I like about .45-70 is it does well at low pressures and it's reasonable. I looked into a .500 mag lever gun, but it operates at such high pressures it would probably detach your retinas. I do not have the dies, brass, or molds for those weight bullets in .452 but I might in the future.
                              I've wanted a 500 or 460 chambered lever gun for a while now but they aren't that readily available or cheaply priced to say the least.
                              "It's another burrito, it's a cold Lone Star in my hand!"

Comment

Figured I throw up some pics of my two. I don't shoot the 44-40 anymore because it has a crack in the stock. It can be seen in the second pic. Just wondering if you guys know were I can get an original stock to match the gun so I can shoot it again. Don't want anything new, I want the wear to be consistent with the rest of the gun.

Comment

Working...
                                X