PSU gave up the ghost

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PSU gave up the ghost

Laying in bed with the wife and baby and we heard a pop. After some investigation, I discovered that my main computer was the culprit. I ignorantly hit the power button to confirm and got a nice spark. The smell is locallized to the PSU, nothing else appears to be burned up.

What are the odds that my data is safe. I have 15 years worth of data and pictures on those hard drives.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    Originally posted by Leah
    Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.

Originally posted by black2002ls View Post
    Laying in bed with the wife and baby and we heard a pop. After some investigation, I discovered that my main computer was the culprit. I ignorantly hit the power button to confirm and got a nice spark. The smell is locallized to the PSU, nothing else appears to be burned up.

What are the odds that my data is safe. I have 15 years worth of data and pictures on those hard drives.

Pray is all I can tell you. I stopped keeping personal data that I wanted to keep on my computers many years ago with these marvelous things called USB storage drives and DVD R/W discs. I advise everyone I know to NEVER keep anything they want to keep stored on the computer hard drive because of a possible hard drive failure or any other type of system crash which might make the drives inaccessible. I doubt a PSU failure will wipe out your drive...but if it takes out your MOBO you might have a tough time accessing what is on the drive because it is extremely unlikely your hard drive and OS will boot up on a new MOBO...even in safe mode. You should ask Bryan (Tx Redneck) what he can do for you if that ends up being the case.

Comment

Originally posted by ram57ta View Post
      Pray is all I can tell you. I stopped keeping personal data that I wanted to keep on my computers many years ago with these marvelous things called USB storage drives and DVD R/W discs. I advise everyone I know to NEVER keep anything they want to keep stored on the computer hard drive because of a possible hard drive failure or any other type of system crash which might make the drives inaccessible. I doubt a PSU failure will wipe out your drive...but if it takes out your MOBO you might have a tough time accessing what is on the drive because it is extremely unlikely your hard drive and OS will boot up on a new MOBO...even in safe mode. You should ask Bryan (Tx Redneck) what he can do for you if that ends up being the case.
      Thanks. This is pretty much what I am expecting. Going to source a new PSU today and see what happens.

Comment

I've never had a problem booting an old os drive on new equipment. I mean, it's just a drive unless you spiked it and shorted your drive..
        sigpic

Comment

I'm sure all of the dust build up didn't help matters, but here is the damage.

Comment

This was an enermax noisetaker 495.

If I remember correctly I built this set up in 2005 or 2006.

Comment

Just don't boot it as the primary driver on the new MOBO.

Comment

Originally posted by FunFordCobra View Post
                I've never had a problem booting an old os drive on new equipment. I mean, it's just a drive unless you spiked it and shorted your drive..
                If this were Windows 95, 98, ME, 2000 or even XP I would agree that it might boot up, but with Vista and beyond the registry is very picky about significant hardware changes and drivers before it blue screens. If the replacement Mobo was the same chipset, bios, exact same cards....maybe. I've repaired/built numerous computers over the years and have had very few computers that would fully boot using a new Mobo/processor combo.

Comment

If this were Windows 95, 98, ME, 2000 or even XP I would agree that it might boot up, but with Vista and beyond the registry is very picky about significant hardware changes and drivers before it blue screens. If the replacement Mobo was the same chipset, bios, exact same cards....maybe. I've repaired/built numerous computers over the years and have had very few computers that would fully boot using a new Mobo/processor combo.
                  You should be able to get what data you need without using it as a primary drive. Hell just throw it in an external docking station and retrieve what you need ( assuming it's still good ).

Comment

Working...
                  X