Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wifi Router recommendations

Hi Fellas,

My Buffalo AirStation gave up the ghost this week after a few years of good service. So I'm in the market and unfamiliar with the current offerings. I'd appreciate any input. I'm looking for the following in my next wifi router.

- 802.11AC compliant
    - built in VPN server (something better than PPTP is preferred)
    - VLAN and VLAN trunking 802.1q compatible (optional but not required)
    - a Firewall
    - DD-WRT capable
    - at least four switch ports
    - Tri-Band (nice to have but not an absolute requirement)

I do have a FIOS router in my setup but I've got it working in bridge mode only. I'll probably replace it at some point so I can use some of the higher bandwidth capacities that are now available.

I actually bought that exact model last night.

Comment

Would something like this just blow the doors off of the crappy wifi router that att sent me for uverse?

Comment

You're welcome
        QuestionableContent-Awesome Webcomic

Comment

Originally posted by Jewrrick View Post
          For what?

Comment

Originally posted by inline 6 View Post
            Would something like this just blow the doors off of the crappy wifi router that att sent me for uverse?
            Most likely.

Does your ATT router use coax? If so, just see if you can put it into bridge mode to simply transfer the connection down to any replacement router you get.

Comment

No ATT doesn't use COAX.

Comment

Originally posted by Unicorn Jeff View Post
                No ATT doesn't use COAX.
                What does it use, then? I am full aware that most companies are running fiber to the closest connection, but almost all houses are wired with coax from the ISP junction box to the router.

Comment

I picked this up a month or so ago after researching online. The netgear posted above was a close second.

Comment

Fiber to prem(home)
                    Fiber to pedestal then to home
                    Fiber to remote terminal then copper to towards house.

I don't deal with internet anymore. When I did, it was only copper(dsl). So above is what currenty know. Maybe other ways, but above is jist of it. No coax I am aware of.

Comment

Originally posted by Silverback
                      https://www.amazon.com/Linksys-AC190...t1900acs&psc=1

I picked this up a month or so ago after researching online. The netgear posted above was a close second.
                      Linksys makes good shit again, now that Cisco sold off that portion of the business. All the Cisco Linksys SMB stuff I've used has been complete shit.

Comment

I just upgraded to the Nighthawk X4S and so far a big upgrade from my old Asus RT-N16
                        2013 F150 STX Supercab 5.0L w/3.55 LSD
                        1990 GT Convertible

Comment

Originally posted by Ratt View Post
                          What does it use, then? I am full aware that most companies are running fiber to the closest connection, but almost all houses are wired with coax from the ISP junction box to the router.
                          That's not always the case. I upgraded my FiOS from 75/75 to 150/150. They came out and installed a new ONT (the outside box) and ran Cat6 cable from there to my office. I could have used the existing FiOS router but I elected to connect that directly to my new Netgear router. Now I've got Dynamic DNS and OpenVPN up and running.

Oh, and my wifi signal is good for a block away from the house now.

Comment

Working...
                          X