.223 Wylde

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• .223 Wylde

So I was reading about the new Savage MSR that just came out and that it's chambered for the .223 Wylde cartridge. I've heard of Wilson offering an AR in this caliber but haven't really heard much about it. What's the deal with this new cartridge and does anyone see this as becoming popular? From just my initial reading, it seems that anything chambered for this will also fire .223/5.56, am I reading that right?

So a little Google searching came out with the answer. Doubt it will catch on but it's nice to see new AR's with the versatility.

Though they share identical case dimensions, the .223 Remington vs 5.56 NATO are slightly different—and the .223 Wylde makes the most of both of these loads.

Comment

It's just a barrel that will fire both 5.56 and .223. It's because 5.56 has a higher pressure than .223 and people interchange them all of the time.

Comment

I had a similar question a while back and got some good info. I have an AR with a Wylde barrel and though it seems safe, I haven't shot a 5.56 through it yet. After seeing some of the pics that have since been removed in that post, I haven't had the nerve to try it. Hope this helps.

I've been thinking about how I want to finish out my next AR. After the first one, I decided that I want a stainless steel barrel, mid-length rail and no front sight post. I was browsing PSA and saw this... is this a good deal? I kind of wanted to piece it together but it's not really a hobby and I don't plan on doing it

Comment

I had a Rock River AR years ago that had the Wylde chamber and fired hundreds of rounds of surplus M855 5.56 through it with no issues.
          "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776

Comment

My current long range rig is an 18" SS bbl from MAS Defense chambered in .223 Wylde. IMO for the money it's a top notch bbl. It hits where I want it to and I've never had an issue chambering a round, whether it's a 77GR polymer tipped hand load, or a bulk steel case 55GR.
            G'Day Mate

Comment

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776

Comment

Working...
              X