Top 5 performance cars under 20k

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Top 5 performance cars under 20k

I already have one on my list. I'm always looking for new affordable cool car ideas. Here are my 5, what say you guys?

1) 90-92 corvette ZR-1 the 93-95s just cost more

2) Buick GN /t type

3) terminator cobra

4) c5 z06

5) could be a lot of cars but at 10ki really like the p 944 turbo and to have one Porsche. Used M3s could be here too or WRX,etc.

Opinions?

Used Mazda Speed 3
    Fuck you. We're going to Costco.

Comment

Originally posted by KBScobravert View Post
      Used Mazda Speed 3
      Are they AWD like the MS6? I also really like the fd rx7 twin turbo at this price point. A little low on hp, but light race car handling.

Comment

I think you'd have a hard time finding any of those in decent shape for under $20k.

However the 350/370Z and G35/G37s are all going to be under that. So would the Hyundai Genesis along with the BRZ/FRS cars. Higher mileage SHOs and the Lincoln version are usually under that price now. There are also a bunch of 10-11 SS Camaros under $20k.

If you want something flashier and aren't scared of losing your shirt when it breaks a CLK or SLK Mercedes would be close to that with some mileage. BMW Z4s are getting pretty cheap too.

I've seen a few Ecoboost Mustangs under $20k lately as well.

Comment

Mazda Speed3s are only FWD but are quite the bang for the buck. When my RS6 was only making 400 awhp I did have one surprise me by only JUST being able to pull on him from a 40 roll and since then he has gained quite a bit more HP with a simple tune.

First gen ZR1s are pretty neat but an 03/04 Cobra will absolutely annihilate one with $600 in mods.

GN T-Types are not bad but the tech is old and while they can be fast they handle like poo and the prices are soaring on them.

C5 Z06 is a bargain though and easy to make stupid power out of.

I have owned a few 944s and while the turbo can be made to be fast the trans is the weak point and they are still very expensive to repair.

Any LS F body is great bang for the buck as there is lots you can do.
          Terminators are another great bang for the buck.
          Mazda Speed3 and Speed6 have a lot of ability and are cheap and fairly cheap to repair/maintain.
          Mercedes E55s make stupid power and are cheap but they have so many regular issues its annoying.
          Audi RS6 is also great bang for the buck but you hit a wall at 650 awhp till you do a 6 speed conversion. Again though, brakes and timing belts are expensive.
          Good judgment comes from bad decisions and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

Comment

Originally posted by BP View Post
            I think you'd have a hard time finding any of those in decent shape for under $20.
            Sadly you are incorrect. A pristine less than 20k mile 91 ZR-1 just sold for 22.5. You can find really good ones for 15-18, but there are turds out there too. Z06s are barely over 20 right now. Nice 944 turbos can be had at 10-15. Buick GNs are probably the hardest to find in decent shape. Lots of nice low mileage terminators at 20 too especially verts.

I'm not into modding my cars much anymore. Most of these cars are fast enough stock to be quite fun except maybe the P car.

My ZR will stop mods after some intake porting. I may do headers too. It is already chipped with an aftermarket cat back and soon will have custom wheels. With all of that done I would have about 22.5 in it.

Really considering the Z06 next maybe the P944 or an FD3 turbo RX7. I think I can wait longer on a terminator. I'm thinking of collecting 5 moderately cool cars from my lifetime to leave to the kids and enjoy /tinker on when I'm old. I will probably buy one every 24 months or so.

Comment

C6 ls2

Comment

I know of a super nice 93ZR-1 for sale for 24 with 13k miles on it. Buy mine for 17, and I will gladly move up. It's white with red interior and is nearly flawless all oem. I've seen this car in person and have some underhood pics I took for reference.

Comment

Originally posted by A_A_G View Post
                  C6 ls2
                  An awesome car especially if it's a z51 car. I'm seriously tempted to finance a c6 z06 at 35..... might be the best bargain right now. I sort of really like the ugliness of the c5 more though. I probably need to drive both back to back after driving my ZR to the dealer.

Comment

Originally posted by AnthonyS View Post
                    I'm seriously tempted to finance a c6 z06 at 35..... might be the best bargain right now.
                    It really is. I think now is the time to get one as well. I just can't see these dropping in price any longer (below 30k) and they will appreciate in value sooner than later.

Comment

1. CTS-V

2. C5 Z06

3. 300ZX TT

4. GTO/G8

5. 4th Gen Fbody.

If you want slower, but still cool, you can find low mile 94-96 Impala SS's for that price.

Comment

If we are talking dollar to hp value then the ls1 fbody is #1

I would have a hard time spending towards 20k on a performance car that is not faster than a bolt on fbody

I think the best answer is a daily driver for 15k and a fbody weekend toy for 5k

Comment

Corvettes, hardest car to buy, hardest car to sell

Comment

Cutlass 2+2

Comment

Working...
                            X